Charles Spitzer

"ares" wrote in message
news:n5Zbd.509$717.428@trnddc05...
Hubby wants to paint some ceilings with Kilz as they are yellowed from
smokers. Then he wants to paint over it with ceiling white paint. Is
that
necessary or could the Kilz just be left as the ceiling paint?
ares

kilz will encapsulate the odor and is a good idea.

SQLit

"ares" wrote in message
Hubby wants to paint some ceilings with Kilz as they are yellowed from
smokers. Then he wants to paint over it with ceiling white paint. Is

that
necessary or could the Kilz just be left as the ceiling paint?
ares

kilz is to keep the odor and stain from bleeding through. You still need a
couple coats of paint

---

Kyle Boatright

"ares" wrote in message
Hubby wants to paint some ceilings with Kilz as they are yellowed from
smokers. Then he wants to paint over it with ceiling white paint. Is
that
necessary or could the Kilz just be left as the ceiling paint?
ares

If you like the color of killz, it'll be fine as your *paint*. It is
slightly yellower and shiney than typical ceiling paint.

KB

Edwin Pawlowski

"ares" wrote in message
Hubby wants to paint some ceilings with Kilz as they are yellowed from
smokers. Then he wants to paint over it with ceiling white paint. Is
that
necessary or could the Kilz just be left as the ceiling paint?
ares

If you compare the Kilz when finished with a good coat or two of ceiling
paint, there will be no comparison. Kilz is a great blocker, but not what
I'd want on my ceilings for a finish. YMMV.

Richard J Kinch

ares writes:

Hubby wants to paint some ceilings with Kilz as they are yellowed from
smokers. Then he wants to paint over it with ceiling white paint. Is
that necessary or could the Kilz just be left as the ceiling paint?

Some reason you don't just TRY A SAMPLE?
KJS

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:31:31 -0700, ares wrote
(in article n5Zbd.509$717.428@trnddc05):

Hubby wants to paint some ceilings with Kilz as they are yellowed from
smokers. Then he wants to paint over it with ceiling white paint. Is that
necessary or could the Kilz just be left as the ceiling paint?
ares

Ares -

Painting isn't my trade, but I've done a lot of it. My 2 cents:

Kilz is really good at sealing what it goes over, and it's a really good base
for the finish coat. Color might be acceptable - that's up to you. But It's
got a sort of open matte surface that paint sticks to. It's not got a lot of
"solids" in it - which is pigment. It's mostly got "binder" - which is like
glue or sealer.

I don't think it would hold up very well as a finish coat, although I've
never had it exposed for more than a week or so. I suspect it would hold
dust, dirt and odors, because it's designed to hold onto what's put over it.
For me, the thin pigment doesn't look right either. I generally do two coats
of Kilz, followed by two coats of finish. The first coat of Kilz always
takes some time, especially on new plaster or skim coat, but the others go on
pretty fast.

I'd let Hubby do the finish coat, and then take him out for a nice dinner
(after he washed the paint off - Cupran Special is the best for that.)

- Kenneth

Edwin Pawlowski

"KJS" wrote in message

I'd let Hubby do the finish coat, and then take him out for a nice dinner
(after he washed the paint off - Cupran Special is the best for that.)

- Kenneth

I thought the question was odd. Most women would want more painting done,
not less. Unless she is one very cheap penny pincher.

ares

Yeah, I'm a very cheap penny pincher. Compared to what's there with the
yellowed walls, it looks super bright white like ceiling white to me
actually. And I didn't know it had a porous surface that allowed stuff to
stick to it as it just seemed like very tough material, though maybe you're
right now that I looked at it a little closer. But then again to me ceiling
white seemed a bit chalky too.
ares

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"KJS" wrote in message

I'd let Hubby do the finish coat, and then take him out for a nice

dinner
(after he washed the paint off - Cupran Special is the best for that.)

- Kenneth

I thought the question was odd. Most women would want more painting done,
not less. Unless she is one very cheap penny pincher.

Bob K 207

Your hubby is correct about using a stain blocker sealer & then paint.

I used to use Kilz but a friend turned me on to

Zinsser High Hide Cover Stain

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=78

this stuff is great!

Dries ready for top coat in 2 hours. Covers everything, no bleed thru.Prime
with this & one top coat is usually enough

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edy Edy is offline

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Edy wrote:
Kilz is not a paint. It is a primer. You can print Kilz with a little paint
that you'll use to see where are you priming, and after the paint cover
better. But primer is not paint, yellowish in the future for sure. Because
the odor tells you that smell strongest that paint means different chemistry.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-560106-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2018 11:14 AM, Edy wrote:
replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Edy wrote:
Kilz is not a paint. It is a primer. You can print Kilz with a little paint
that you'll use to see where are you priming, and after the paint cover
better. ButÂ* primer is not paint, yellowish in the future for sure. Because
the odor tells you that smell strongest that paint means different
chemistry.

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2018 10:14 AM, Edy wrote:
replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Edy wrote:
Kilz is not a paint. It is a primer....

Depends on which product. Zinnser also markets a all-in-one product
under the Kilz TM, both interior and exterior.

Most are primers, true, but generically/universally "not necessarily"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.

That was Edwin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 09:45:56 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.

That was Edwin.

It was still the same person, Ed from the east coast. :-\

Behr has a product that is primer and paint in one can. I've not used
it, but guess it saves on cleaning brushes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.

That was Edwin.

It was still the same person, Ed from the east coast. :-\

Changed my name to hide but you managed to figure it out somehow.
Damn, I thought I got away clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.

That was Edwin.

It was still the same person, Ed from the east coast. :-\

Changed my name to hide but you managed to figure it out somehow.
Damn, I thought I got away clean.

"Thinking" can get your ass in troubles! Trust me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.

That was Edwin.

It was still the same person, Ed from the east coast. :-\

Changed my name to hide but you managed to figure it out somehow.
Damn, I thought I got away clean.

You can't hide on the Internet, we will always find you. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hidden Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 10:01:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

Behr has a product that is primer and paint in one can. I've not used
it, but guess it saves on cleaning brushes.

I used that in my bath remodel a few months ago. Going over old, unknown white paint with
white Behr "Paint & Primer In One", it only took 4 coats in most areas to look even, 5 coats in
some stubborn areas. And something made me think it wasn't sticking well.

40 years ago or so, a paint/primer was on the market and the word on the street was that it was
no good as paint, and no good as primer. I guess some things don't change.

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.

That was Edwin.

It was still the same person, Ed from the east coast. :-\

Changed my name to hide but youÂ* managed to figure it out somehow. Damn,
I thought I got away clean.

Your accent gave you away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.

That was Edwin.

It was still the same person, Ed from the east coast. :-\

Changed my name to hide but you managed to figure it out somehow.
Damn, I thought I got away clean.

"Thinking" can get your ass in troubles! Trust me.

I don't think so; is this an oxymoron?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why i said, 14 years ago,m to paint it.

That was Edwin.

It was still the same person, Ed from the east coast. :-\

Changed my name to hide but you managed to figure it out somehow.
Damn, I thought I got away clean.

"Thinking" can get your ass in troubles! Trust me.

I don't think so; is this an oxymoron?

Beats me, I never thought about it.