KJS

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:31:31 -0700, ares wrote
(in article n5Zbd.509$717.428@trnddc05):

Hubby wants to paint some ceilings with Kilz as they are yellowed from
smokers. Then he wants to paint over it with ceiling white paint. Is that
necessary or could the Kilz just be left as the ceiling paint?
ares

Ares -

Painting isn't my trade, but I've done a lot of it. My 2 cents:

Kilz is really good at sealing what it goes over, and it's a really good base
for the finish coat. Color might be acceptable - that's up to you. But It's
got a sort of open matte surface that paint sticks to. It's not got a lot of
"solids" in it - which is pigment. It's mostly got "binder" - which is like
glue or sealer.

I don't think it would hold up very well as a finish coat, although I've
never had it exposed for more than a week or so. I suspect it would hold
dust, dirt and odors, because it's designed to hold onto what's put over it.
For me, the thin pigment doesn't look right either. I generally do two coats
of Kilz, followed by two coats of finish. The first coat of Kilz always
takes some time, especially on new plaster or skim coat, but the others go on
pretty fast.

I'd let Hubby do the finish coat, and then take him out for a nice dinner
(after he washed the paint off - Cupran Special is the best for that.)

- Kenneth