Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Best paint to use on kitchen ceiling?

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 12:05, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/07/2015 11:27, Fredxxx wrote:

The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Why do you believe that?

Because that seems to be the case unless you know something I don't.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

Yes. Although some are almost matt. Paints formulated for kitchens have
to stand up to steam, condensation, organic vapours and fats. Matt
finishes aren't very good in that environment and harder to clean.

I have regarded paints formulated for kitchens to be washable, something I
believed ceiling doesn't need to be.

Mine does, mainly from the steaks cooked in the grill. I cook mine on
those cast iron metal plates that you eat the steak off and get that
stinking hot under the grill before putting the steak on it and with
steak that has quite a bit of fat on it you can get the fat actually
burning and that puts some fat on the ceiling over time.

Kitchen paints seem to have quite a sheen.

They need to if you wash them at all.