Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine in my bathroom ....

Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/15 06:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

Have a look at page 5:

http://www.amdea.org.uk/wp-content/u...oms_July09.pdf

Also, no socket outlets within 3m of the edge of Zone 2 so you will need
to hard wire it to and FCU.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chuckle. I recall a tale and do not know if it grew in the telling of a
nicely tiled bathroom where a person fitted a washing machine at one corner.
After about two months, the tiles started to fall off the walls at spin
time. This was an upstairs room with a wooden floor.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 05/05/15 06:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

Have a look at page 5:

http://www.amdea.org.uk/wp-content/u...oms_July09.pdf

Also, no socket outlets within 3m of the edge of Zone 2 so you will need
to hard wire it to and FCU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2015 06:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

Irrelevant in this instance, but this was (still is?) standard practice
in the Netherlands, where bathrooms are often constructed as wet rooms.
All very well, but I feel sorry for the poor people who have to carry a
washing machine up steep stairs that turn 180 degrees from the ground to
the first floor.

--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ramsman wrote in :

On 05/05/2015 06:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large
bathroom ? .......

Irrelevant in this instance, but this was (still is?) standard
practice in the Netherlands, where bathrooms are often constructed as
wet rooms. All very well, but I feel sorry for the poor people who
have to carry a washing machine up steep stairs that turn 180 degrees
from the ground to the first floor.

It struck me as odd when I first saw a washer in a bathroom in a rented
holiday let. Now it seems more odd to have one in a kitchen. Why would you
want to take your undies into the kitchen????
Ok if you have a utility room though! Pity we don't have American type
basements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn scribbled

Ramsman wrote in :

On 05/05/2015 06:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large
bathroom ? .......

Irrelevant in this instance, but this was (still is?) standard
practice in the Netherlands, where bathrooms are often constructed as
wet rooms. All very well, but I feel sorry for the poor people who
have to carry a washing machine up steep stairs that turn 180 degrees
from the ground to the first floor.

It struck me as odd when I first saw a washer in a bathroom in a rented
holiday let. Now it seems more odd to have one in a kitchen. Why would you
want to take your undies into the kitchen????
Ok if you have a utility room though! Pity we don't have American type
basements.

There are plenty of houses with basements in London. They're mostly used
for swimming pools and home cinemas. And upsetting the neighbours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are plenty of houses with basements in London. They're mostly used
for swimming pools and home cinemas. And upsetting the neighbours.

but the standard merrycan basement is mostly underground with wee windows
and an open stair with no balustrades down to it ...and a big gully in the
middle of the slab because they don't damp proof....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Ok if you have a utility room though! Pity we don't have American type
basements.

Plenty of basement here ooop north. My grandma had her washing machine
in the cellar, I have my washing machine in the cellar, my dad has his
washing machine in the futility room at the back of the grijj, an
auntie has her washing machine in the not-coal-shed.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2015 08:02, Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/05/15 06:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

Have a look at page 5:

http://www.amdea.org.uk/wp-content/u...oms_July09.pdf

Also, no socket outlets within 3m of the edge of Zone 2 so you will need
to hard wire it to and FCU.

That rather depends upon the size of the bathroom. It would be quite
possible to be more than 3m from zone 2 in a house I once looked at
buying, which had been built in the 17th century. The bathroom was a
conversion of one of the bedrooms, which were large to begin with.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 May 2015 06:41:21 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

Its probably not altogether compliant, but it works and some people do it. FCU not 13A plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Ramsman wrote in :

On 05/05/2015 06:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large
bathroom ? .......

Irrelevant in this instance, but this was (still is?) standard
practice in the Netherlands, where bathrooms are often constructed as
wet rooms. All very well, but I feel sorry for the poor people who
have to carry a washing machine up steep stairs that turn 180 degrees
from the ground to the first floor.

It struck me as odd when I first saw a washer in a bathroom in a rented
holiday let. Now it seems more odd to have one in a kitchen. Why would you
want to take your undies into the kitchen????
Ok if you have a utility room though! Pity we don't have American type
basements.

American style basements bring a range of their own problems.
But American house construction is the most incredible ****.
No wonder so many blow away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 08:13, harryagain wrote:

American style basements bring a range of their own problems.
But American house construction is the most incredible ****.
No wonder so many blow away.

Your house wouldn't survive a hurican let alone a tornado.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Jim GM4DHJ ...
escribió:

Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

The guy refurbishing my bathroom threw his hands up in horror when I
said I wanted the washing machine in there. It's not a problem on the
Continent, so I don't see why it should be here. The redesign of the
room left a space next to the (glazed, screened) shower which was the
perfect size.

We compromised in the end - I agreed to pay for a weatherproof external
socket in the bathroom and dedicated RCD in the consumer unit to be
fitted for the machine.

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 19:22, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Jim GM4DHJ ...
escribió:

Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

The guy refurbishing my bathroom threw his hands up in horror when I
said I wanted the washing machine in there. It's not a problem on the
Continent, so I don't see why it should be here. The redesign of the
room left a space next to the (glazed, screened) shower which was the
perfect size.

We compromised in the end - I agreed to pay for a weatherproof external
socket in the bathroom and dedicated RCD in the consumer unit to be
fitted for the machine.

I thought that you still needed a fused outlet. I'm not sure if the
installation with a socket conforms to 17th ed.

--
:: je suis Dieudonne :: ik ben Toben
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/15 19:22, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Jim GM4DHJ ...
escribió:

Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large bathroom ?

The guy refurbishing my bathroom threw his hands up in horror when I
said I wanted the washing machine in there. It's not a problem on the
Continent, so I don't see why it should be here. The redesign of the
room left a space next to the (glazed, screened) shower which was the
perfect size.

We compromised in the end - I agreed to pay for a weatherproof external
socket in the bathroom and dedicated RCD in the consumer unit to be
fitted for the machine.

Ironically that is actually worse because it means that someone will
come in and see a socket and plug in a hairdryer next to the shower.

This is why an FCU is OK and a socket is not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Can I install a power outlet and a washing machine in my large
bathroom ?

The guy refurbishing my bathroom threw his hands up in horror when I
said I wanted the washing machine in there. It's not a problem on the
Continent, so I don't see why it should be here. The redesign of the
room left a space next to the (glazed, screened) shower which was the
perfect size.

We compromised in the end - I agreed to pay for a weatherproof external
socket in the bathroom and dedicated RCD in the consumer unit to be
fitted for the machine.

I thought that you still needed a fused outlet. I'm not sure if the
installation with a socket conforms to 17th ed.

--
:: je suis Dieudonne :: ik ben Toben

It does not unless it is 3m from the edge of zone 2 or a shaver socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Fredxxx
escribió:

I thought that you still needed a fused outlet. I'm not sure if the
installation with a socket conforms to 17th ed.

No idea if it does, but it seems eminently more sensible to me to use a
weatherproof (watertight ish) socket rather than an FCU in a room that
gets wet with condensation.

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

Ironically that is actually worse because it means that someone will
come in and see a socket and plug in a hairdryer next to the shower.

They'd have to: a) pull the machine out first and b) work out how to
undo the front of the weatherproof socket, both of which your average
female wielding a hairdryer is unlikely to do IMO.

Anyway, it's my house and I'll do what I bleeding well like

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/15 21:08, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

Ironically that is actually worse because it means that someone will
come in and see a socket and plug in a hairdryer next to the shower.

They'd have to: a) pull the machine out first and b) work out how to
undo the front of the weatherproof socket, both of which your average
female wielding a hairdryer is unlikely to do IMO.

Anyway, it's my house and I'll do what I bleeding well like

While not suggesting sockets in the bathroom etc. are a good idea (and
certainly not condoning breaking UK regs), other countries permit them.
Perhaps they have some special wiring arrangement (isolation etc.) but
they are certainly there.

Plus, of course, even in the UK, hotels and the like often have hair
dryers in the bathrooms, all be they fixed wired ones. How those are
wired to comply would be interesting to know. It could be a transformer
I suppose, which is how electric shaver and tooth brush points work,
they are of course much lower power.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/15 21:06, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Fredxxx
escribió:

I thought that you still needed a fused outlet. I'm not sure if the
installation with a socket conforms to 17th ed.

No idea if it does, but it seems eminently more sensible to me to use a
weatherproof (watertight ish) socket rather than an FCU in a room that
gets wet with condensation.

See my point re other people plugging in stuff...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

[...]

One can kill or suicide with them, but then that's true in the kitchen too, and true of many household items most people have readily available.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Ironically that is actually worse because it means that someone will
come in and see a socket and plug in a hairdryer next to the shower.

They'd have to: a) pull the machine out first and b) work out how to
undo the front of the weatherproof socket, both of which your average
female wielding a hairdryer is unlikely to do IMO.

Fair enough - sounds like that meets the intent.

Anyway, it's my house and I'll do what I bleeding well like

Well - you did ask

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

[...]

You could legally stick a schuko in and wire it to the German VDE100 regs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Ironically that is actually worse because it means that someone will
come in and see a socket and plug in a hairdryer next to the shower.

They'd have to: a) pull the machine out first and b) work out how to
undo the front of the weatherproof socket, both of which your average
female wielding a hairdryer is unlikely to do IMO.

Anyway, it's my house and I'll do what I bleeding well like

While not suggesting sockets in the bathroom etc. are a good idea

They work fine when done sensibly.

(and certainly not condoning breaking UK regs), other countries permit
them. Perhaps they have some special wiring arrangement (isolation etc.)

Ours don’t.

but they are certainly there.

Yes, Britain is very unusual with its ban on sockets in the bathroom.

Plus, of course, even in the UK, hotels and the like often have hair
dryers in the bathrooms, all be they fixed wired ones. How those are wired
to comply would be interesting to know. It could be a transformer I
suppose, which is how electric shaver and tooth brush points work, they
are of course much lower power.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Chuckle. I recall a tale and do not know if it grew in the telling of a
nicely tiled bathroom where a person fitted a washing machine at one
corner. After about two months, the tiles started to fall off the walls at
spin time. This was an upstairs room with a wooden floor.
Brian

I had a report once from a person in a block of flats that the whole
building was shaking and about to collapse...it was a wummin' on the ground
floor who had a washing machine that was very badly out of balance and she
had wedged the machine under the worktop!! ....she couldn't afford a new
machine she told me ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-06, Brian Reay wrote:

On 06/05/15 21:08, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Tim Watts
escribió:

Ironically that is actually worse because it means that someone will
come in and see a socket and plug in a hairdryer next to the shower.

They'd have to: a) pull the machine out first and b) work out how to
undo the front of the weatherproof socket, both of which your average
female wielding a hairdryer is unlikely to do IMO.

Anyway, it's my house and I'll do what I bleeding well like

While not suggesting sockets in the bathroom etc. are a good idea (and
certainly not condoning breaking UK regs), other countries permit them.
Perhaps they have some special wiring arrangement (isolation etc.) but
they are certainly there.

RCDs ;-)

Plus, of course, even in the UK, hotels and the like often have hair
dryers in the bathrooms, all be they fixed wired ones. How those are
wired to comply would be interesting to know. It could be a transformer
I suppose, which is how electric shaver and tooth brush points work,
they are of course much lower power.

Good question.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 May 2015 08:26:16 +0100 Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had a report once from a person in a block of flats that the whole
building was shaking and about to collapse...it was a wummin' on the ground
floor who had a washing machine that was very badly out of balance and she
had wedged the machine under the worktop!! ....she couldn't afford a new
machine she told me ...

Badly out of balance ... or packing bolts not removed?

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 May 2015 08:26:16 +0100 Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had a report once from a person in a block of flats that the whole
building was shaking and about to collapse...it was a wummin' on the
ground
floor who had a washing machine that was very badly out of balance and
she
had wedged the machine under the worktop!! ....she couldn't afford a new
machine she told me ...

Badly out of balance ... or packing bolts not removed?

she said it used to be OK .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/15 06:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 May 2015 08:26:16 +0100 Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had a report once from a person in a block of flats that the whole
building was shaking and about to collapse...it was a wummin' on the
ground
floor who had a washing machine that was very badly out of balance and
she
had wedged the machine under the worktop!! ....she couldn't afford a new
machine she told me ...

Badly out of balance ... or packing bolts not removed?

she said it used to be OK .......

concrete weights fallen off the drum...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 May 2015 08:26:16 +0100 Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had a report once from a person in a block of flats that the whole
building was shaking and about to collapse...it was a wummin' on the
ground
floor who had a washing machine that was very badly out of balance and
she
had wedged the machine under the worktop!! ....she couldn't afford a new
machine she told me ...

Badly out of balance ... or packing bolts not removed?

she said it used to be OK .......

concrete weights fallen off the drum...?

More likely just one of the suspension springs has come unhooked or broken.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 May 2015 08:26:16 +0100 Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had a report once from a person in a block of flats that the whole
building was shaking and about to collapse...it was a wummin' on the
ground
floor who had a washing machine that was very badly out of balance and
she
had wedged the machine under the worktop!! ....she couldn't afford a
new
machine she told me ...

Badly out of balance ... or packing bolts not removed?

she said it used to be OK .......

concrete weights fallen off the drum...?

something like that ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 May 2015 08:26:16 +0100 Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had a report once from a person in a block of flats that the whole
building was shaking and about to collapse...it was a wummin' on the
ground
floor who had a washing machine that was very badly out of balance and
she
had wedged the machine under the worktop!! ....she couldn't afford a
new
machine she told me ...

Badly out of balance ... or packing bolts not removed?

she said it used to be OK .......

concrete weights fallen off the drum...?

More likely just one of the suspension springs has come unhooked or
broken.

Tim

probably ....it was an old clonker

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 May 2015 08:26:16 +0100 Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had a report once from a person in a block of flats that the whole
building was shaking and about to collapse...it was a wummin' on the
ground
floor who had a washing machine that was very badly out of balance and
she
had wedged the machine under the worktop!! ....she couldn't afford a
new
machine she told me ...

Badly out of balance ... or packing bolts not removed?

she said it used to be OK .......

concrete weights fallen off the drum...?

More likely just one of the suspension springs has come unhooked or
broken.

Probaly had spent too much time sat on it on the fast spin.
--
Adam