Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Putting a washing machine in the bathroom (under the sink!)

I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom and
position a counter top basin on top of the cupboard. What's troubling
me is the pipework needed under the basin. Judging by what's under my
current basin, I would need approx 30 cm clearance between the top of
the washer and basin bottom which would bring the basin far too high.
Are there any space saving solutions out there that would be suited?
For example, I have seen that Wickes do a 'space saving sink trap' and
there is also something called a 'HepVo' trap but i'm not sure if these
are usable in this instance. I was hoping that I could sit the trap
behind or at the side of the washer and run a pipe to the basin, is
this possible? My objective is to keep the basin as low as possible and
I don't really want to buy a compact washing machine but fear I might
have to. Thanks for your help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lozoz wrote:
I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom and
position a counter top basin on top of the cupboard.

Are you living in a pokey bedsit or something? should be a law against
this type of accomodation nowadays.

Any room to postion it to one side of the counter top in the same cupoard?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lozoz wrote:
I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom and
position a counter top basin on top of the cupboard. What's troubling
me is the pipework needed under the basin. Judging by what's under my
current basin, I would need approx 30 cm clearance between the top of
the washer and basin bottom which would bring the basin far too high.
Are there any space saving solutions out there that would be suited?

Quite easy really.
You don't mount the trap on the basin.
You mount a right angle join on the basin, and take that to a trap at
the side. (not quite right angle, you want some slope)

As an alternative, you might mount the washing machine over the basin,
enclosed, with the washing going in at more or less eye level.

Do ensure your DIY skills are up to this, a washing machine falling on
your toes from several feet up can smart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

lozoz wrote:
I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom

Better check out the zoning under part P of the building regs.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

lozoz wrote:

I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom

Better check out the zoning under part P of the building regs.

Don't think part P has anything much of interest to say on zoning in
bathrooms - that is all in BS7671. Power for the beastie would need to
be provided via a FCU rather than a socket obviously, and if you need to
extend a circuit to provide one of those, then that would come into the
realms of part P... (should anyone give a monkeys)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lozoz wrote:
I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom and
position a counter top basin on top of the cupboard. What's troubling
me is the pipework needed under the basin. Judging by what's under my
current basin, I would need approx 30 cm clearance between the top of
the washer and basin bottom which would bring the basin far too high.
Are there any space saving solutions out there that would be suited?
For example, I have seen that Wickes do a 'space saving sink trap' and
there is also something called a 'HepVo' trap but i'm not sure if these
are usable in this instance. I was hoping that I could sit the trap
behind or at the side of the washer and run a pipe to the basin, is
this possible? My objective is to keep the basin as low as possible and
I don't really want to buy a compact washing machine but fear I might
have to. Thanks for your help.

Most basins are fitted at around 800mm high, a washing machine is
around 880mm. Allowing around 100mm for a counter top, basin waste and
pipe, even with the trap to one side, you're close to 1m high, which
most people would find too high. I think you'd need to either offset
the basin so that the outlet was to one side of the wm, or build a step
in front of the unit (making sure it doesn't interfere with access to
critical bits of the washer).

The HepVo is the easiest way to keep the pipe size to a minimum, and
would be suitable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:

As an alternative, you might mount the washing machine over the basin,
enclosed, with the washing going in at more or less eye level.

Do ensure your DIY skills are up to this, a washing machine falling on
your toes from several feet up can smart.

Weight apart, there are some fearsome forces at play when those things
go into spin mode. Unless an RSJ was involved I'm not sure I would want
it off the floor at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

As an alternative, you might mount the washing machine over the basin,
enclosed, with the washing going in at more or less eye level.

Do ensure your DIY skills are up to this, a washing machine falling on
your toes from several feet up can smart.

Weight apart, there are some fearsome forces at play when those things
go into spin mode. Unless an RSJ was involved I'm not sure I would want
it off the floor at all.

The forces are not _that_ bad - at the outside of the machine.

Inside - well, the forces on an unbalanced drum are several tons.

However, if I was doing this I would be thinking of a nice sturdy frame,
made from 4*4's, and a glued + screwed 18mm WBP box, with 2 6*4 timbers
going down to a pedestal around the sink, securely fixed to roof and
floor joists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
lozoz wrote:
I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom

Better check out the zoning under part P of the building regs.

Part P has absolutely nothing to deal with it providing the OP powers
the washing machine on an extension lead through a hole in the wall.

How bizarre is that? I would have thought that a washing machine in a
bathroom could be a hazzard?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-12 11:08:55 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
lozoz wrote:
I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom
Better check out the zoning under part P of the building regs.

Part P has absolutely nothing to deal with it providing the OP powers
the washing machine on an extension lead through a hole in the wall.

How bizarre is that? I would have thought that a washing machine in a
bathroom could be a hazzard?

They are (as appliances) designed to go there.

In many other European countries, it is commonplace to have a utility
room together with shower etc. in the basement if there is one or in an
upstairs bathroom if not. I suppose that the idea is that all the
dirty washing and things related to it are in one place. The machine
is then wired directly into suitably IP rated RCD outlet of some kind
or plugged into a rated outlet.

Sometimes I think that we are overly cautious in the UK, although the
gradual relaxation over recent years from pull cords and no outlets to
a zone system is an indication of change, and AIUI that is set to be
changed further in the next round of BS7671

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 11:26:39 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

Sometimes I think that we are overly cautious in the UK,

The IEE argued that this "caution" was shown by the figures to save
a number of lives every year.

although the
gradual relaxation over recent years from pull cords and no outlets to
a zone system

What relaxation was this?

I do have a copy of Amendment 3 to the 16th Edition beside me at the
moment. In terms of switches there is little change to what was
allowed before [1], the same is true about sockets. In terms of
luminaries [2] and wiring systems it is stricter than what was
allowed before.

[1] it is a common misconception that only pull cord switches were
allowed in bathrooms. However, no matter how common it is a
misconception is a misconception.

[2] for example, before Amendment 3 bayonet lampholders only needed
to be fitted with a "Home Office skirt".

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-12 13:40:34 +0000, David Hansen

wrote this:-

Sometimes I think that we are overly cautious in the UK,

The IEE argued that this "caution" was shown by the figures to save
a number of lives every year.

In general that is true, but the context was bathrooms.

I do have a copy of Amendment 3 to the 16th Edition beside me at the
moment. In terms of switches there is little change to what was
allowed before [1], the same is true about sockets. In terms of
luminaries [2] and wiring systems it is stricter than what was
allowed before.

Really? Pity it doesn't it tell you the difference between a
luminaire and a luminary.

You were probably thinking of me (meaning person of eminence or

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:13:52 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

The IEE argued that this "caution" was shown by the figures to save
a number of lives every year.

In general that is true, but the context was bathrooms.

The IEE figures were about bathrooms.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Andy Hall wrote:

In many other European countries, it is commonplace to have a utility
room together with shower etc. in the basement if there is one or in an
upstairs bathroom if not.

this for example
http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co....nBathroom.jpeg

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

In many other European countries, it is commonplace to have a utility
room together with shower etc. in the basement if there is one or in
an upstairs bathroom if not.

this for example
http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co....nBathroom.jpeg

Looks perfectly safe to me :-)

Joke

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 March 27th 06 03:24 PM
sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:55 PM
Is a u-bend still required for sink without washing machine? [email protected] UK diy 7 February 26th 06 05:51 PM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
dishwasher & washing machine waste on sink trap - how to stop backflow? [email protected] UK diy 3 March 21st 05 05:04 PM