Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default PAT test and a H&S report

I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 19:58, ARW wrote:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

I was under the impression that PAT testing was done with the equipment
unplugged.

There is nothing wrong with the distribution board.
There is nothing wrong with the equipment.

What are you going to fail it on?

You just pass both items and leave them unplugged, perhaps with a
recommendation that either the plug on the equipment should be replaced
and/or a suitable adaptor is used.

I have had (consumer) equipment supplied with the same type of plug but
with a 2 to 3 pin adapter where the 2 pin plug is firmly clamped in the
3 pin adapter. I cut of the 2 pin plug and replaced it with a 13A plug
(with 3A fuse).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/15 19:58, ARW wrote:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

Meh. In the 80's, Dixons idea of powering up their showroom tellys was
to shove the bare wires of about 3-4 sets into a single socket, with
maybe a couple of matchsticks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/15 20:18, alan_m wrote:
On 23/03/2015 19:58, ARW wrote:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

I was under the impression that PAT testing was done with the equipment
unplugged.

There is nothing wrong with the distribution board.
There is nothing wrong with the equipment.

What are you going to fail it on?

I notice it is notionally fixed equipment. I would fail it for having a
non standard plug with no nearby suitable socket.

You could probably argue the technicalities of that, but I'd still fail
it until they either put a matching power bar there or changed the plugtop.

You just pass both items and leave them unplugged, perhaps with a
recommendation that either the plug on the equipment should be replaced
and/or a suitable adaptor is used.

I have had (consumer) equipment supplied with the same type of plug but
with a 2 to 3 pin adapter where the 2 pin plug is firmly clamped in the
3 pin adapter. I cut of the 2 pin plug and replaced it with a 13A plug
(with 3A fuse).

Or that - which is fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:58:57 +0000, ARW wrote:

I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

Round peg/square hole apart, is it really any different to a plastic
"earth pin" on so much kit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:58:57 +0000, ARW wrote:

I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

Round peg/square hole apart, is it really any different to a plastic
"earth pin" on so much kit?

How do you get the 2 round pins into the two rectangular holes without the
plastic earth pin?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARW" writes:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

Yes, it's a fail. All that's needed are the Euro adapters which
permanently clip on to those plugs.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 21:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" writes:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

Yes, it's a fail. All that's needed are the Euro adapters which
permanently clip on to those plugs.

I think we're losing sight that PAT testing is intended tests equipment,
not how it's connected together. I think a customer could argue a fail
if he's in the know.

I would certainly recommend a euro adapter and I'd leave the equipment
unplugged.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 20:18, alan_m wrote:
On 23/03/2015 19:58, ARW wrote:
[...]

Not good practice, but the indivudals items look okay = not a PAT issue
is it ? There is no requirement to use "standard" mains plugs on
equipment , its not for sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:58:57 +0000, ARW wrote:

I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

Round peg/square hole apart, is it really any different to a plastic
"earth pin" on so much kit?

How do you get the 2 round pins into the two rectangular holes without
the plastic earth pin?

That's why you need a screwdriver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:44:26 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 23/03/15 19:58, ARW wrote:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

Meh. In the 80's, Dixons idea of powering up their showroom tellys was
to shove the bare wires of about 3-4 sets into a single socket, with
maybe a couple of matchsticks.

We used "safeblocks" in the same situation.
basically three crock clips and a lid.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P...ze_3/SR910.JPG

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:

Not good practice, but the indivudals items look okay = not a PAT issue
is it ? There is no requirement to use "standard" mains plugs on
equipment , its not for sale.

Isn't it the case that anything that conforms to standards *somewhere*
in the EU must be acceptable anywhere in the EU.

E.g. you should be able to wire a house to UK standards in France and
have it accepted.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 March 2015 19:59:06 UTC, ARW wrote:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.
However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

No-one's mentioned so far that the euro plugs are unfused.

The socket strip is *probably* fused, but that doesn't mean that it's acceptable to put euro plugs into 13A sockets potentially fused at 32A.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 8:46:56 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

I notice it is notionally fixed equipment. I would fail it for having a
non standard plug with no nearby suitable socket.

If it is fixed equipment, then it is not subject to PAT testing anyway
as it is not portable. .

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:47:41 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:58:57 +0000, ARW wrote:

I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

Round peg/square hole apart, is it really any different to a plastic
"earth pin" on so much kit?

Yes, the pins are the wrong size leading to poor contact and overheating!

Nothing wrong, I guess, if one of those 'permanently attached' adaptors
were used - the kind with the non-reversible screws.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" writes:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

Yes, it's a fail. All that's needed are the Euro adapters which
permanently clip on to those plugs.

I think we're losing sight that PAT testing is intended tests equipment,
not how it's connected together. I think a customer could argue a fail
if he's in the know.

Not so. It includes the plug, fuse, etc.
It also includes suitability for the environment in which it's used
(which is why it should be done in-place as far as possible), and
you can fail an appliance which has nothing wrong with it if it's
not suitable for the use to which it's being put (e.g. a hot air gun
being used as a hair drier).

I would certainly recommend a euro adapter and I'd leave the equipment
unplugged.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

How do you get the 2 round pins into the two rectangular holes without the
plastic earth pin?

You use a convenient 13A plug upside-down

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel
escribió:

Yes, it's a fail. All that's needed are the Euro adapters which
permanently clip on to those plugs.

They're pretty good, and have a fuse. But a bit bulky. I have several
here.

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 21:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
Much equipment is made with these clamp plug adaptors now and I see not
issue since the best ones have fuses.
Brian

The photo shows 4 mains leads, all with continental 2 pin plugs (with
round pins), plugged into a UK 6 socket distribution board.
A PAT test of the distribution board may result in a pass.
A PAT test of the individual equipments may result in a pass.

The grey area is how everything is connected together which may be a
safety issue but unlikely to be a PAT testing issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
Robert wrote:

Not good practice, but the indivudals items look okay = not a PAT issue
is it ? There is no requirement to use "standard" mains plugs on
equipment , its not for sale.

Isn't it the case that anything that conforms to standards *somewhere*
in the EU must be acceptable anywhere in the EU.

E.g. you should be able to wire a house to UK standards in France and
have it accepted.

The Frogs have the lowest standards in Western Europe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:18:46 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 23/03/2015 19:58, ARW wrote:
[...]

A TV had a 2-pin plug within a 13A plug. I left it as it was secure.

As long as there's a fuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

How do you get the 2 round pins into the two rectangular holes without the
plastic earth pin?

You use a convenient 13A plug upside-down

Thus highlighting one of the ways in which those multi socket strips do
not actually meet BS1363 - which stipulates there must be sufficient
area around the holes to prevent a plug being inserted in that way,

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

How do you get the 2 round pins into the two rectangular holes without the
plastic earth pin?

You use a convenient 13A plug upside-down

Thus highlighting one of the ways in which those multi socket strips do
not actually meet BS1363 - which stipulates there must be sufficient
area around the holes to prevent a plug being inserted in that way,

I was not aware of such a requirement and I can't see any such
statement in BS1363-2 (sockets) or BS1363-3 (adaptors).

Some people have been pushing for such a requirement, but in my
view it's completely pointless as you could use something else
to open the shutters instead, possibly causing more harm in the
process (e.g. permanently spreading the earth pin contacts so
they don't make a good contact in the future).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 19:58, ARW wrote:
[...]

A TV had a 2-pin plug within a 13A plug. I left it as it was secure. The TV
was taken to France, then the 13A top removed and all was well.
I've just received speakers with a 2-pin plug so I'm using an adaptor as the
current is well 1A.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 7:59:06 PM UTC, ARW wrote:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

I'd fail it because of the plug. AIUI 2 pin round pin plugs are only permitted for items one would expect to use in the bathroom, or if an adaptor is fitted that can only be opened with a tool. Suggest putting in the contract that you can automatically carry out any necessary minor repairs for an additional £1 or £1.50, which covers plugs, fuses & similar.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 7:59:06 PM UTC, ARW wrote:
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e:PAT_test.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT1.jpg

There's plenty one could say about PAT testing on the wiki, but is it diy... well, some folk diy their own PAT testing. There's also no lack of sites covering PAT testing out there.

We have a tester somewhere round here that's passing class 1 stuff wired with speaker wire and so on. Probably just plugs things into a tester, and if it says ok out it goes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

PAT is a nickname - "portable" doesn't appear in the real name.
The testing applies to all appliances, except the wiring installation
and any lighting which is part of the wiring installation, and also
excludes anything else which has its own testing regime defined in other
legislation (such as a passenger lift).

I was once checking an office for PAT validity dates, and noticed
an untested plug-in air freshener. We were a little unsure
exactly what could or should have been done with it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 7:58:26 AM UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

PAT is a nickname - "portable" doesn't appear in the real name.
The testing applies to all appliances, except the wiring installation
and any lighting which is part of the wiring installation, and also
excludes anything else which has its own testing regime defined in other
legislation (such as a passenger lift).

I was once checking an office for PAT validity dates, and noticed
an untested plug-in air freshener. We were a little unsure
exactly what could or should have been done with it.

relabel it as an air polluter? New goods don't need PAT testing AIUI.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

PAT is a nickname - "portable" doesn't appear in the real name.
The testing applies to all appliances, except the wiring installation
and any lighting which is part of the wiring installation, and also
excludes anything else which has its own testing regime defined in other
legislation (such as a passenger lift).

I was once checking an office for PAT validity dates, and noticed
an untested plug-in air freshener. We were a little unsure
exactly what could or should have been done with it.

relabel it as an air polluter? New goods don't need PAT testing AIUI.

but if PAT testing is done in bulk every so often, better to test now so it won't exceed its test interval later.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

PAT is a nickname - "portable" doesn't appear in the real name. The
testing applies to all appliances, except the wiring installation and
any lighting which is part of the wiring installation, and also
excludes anything else which has its own testing regime defined in
other legislation (such as a passenger lift).

I was once checking an office for PAT validity dates, and noticed an
untested plug-in air freshener. We were a little unsure exactly what
could or should have been done with it.

relabel it as an air polluter? New goods don't need PAT testing AIUI.

and how long does that "new" category last? Being suspicious, I PAT tested
4 new theatre lights a few years ago. One failed with no connection between
the earth pin on the moulded plug and the metalwork of the case.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2015 00:22, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

All equipment got a visual check from me every week and earth continuity
checking was part of the routine maintenance for both fixed and portable
equipment. It was only plugged in because it might, every few years,
need to be moved, to make getting other equipment past it easier. A plug
and socket meant that could be done without needing me to be present to
do the wiring. The armoured flex was protected by the same heavily
armoured flexible conduit I used for the final connection to all 3-phase
machines and that could withstand a fork truck driving over it.

I wonder if that's the same sort of armour that was used to connect the
machine my father accidentally drove over in the '60s and got a 440V
shock from it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 8:55:27 AM UTC, charles wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

PAT is a nickname - "portable" doesn't appear in the real name. The
testing applies to all appliances, except the wiring installation and
any lighting which is part of the wiring installation, and also
excludes anything else which has its own testing regime defined in
other legislation (such as a passenger lift).

I was once checking an office for PAT validity dates, and noticed an
untested plug-in air freshener. We were a little unsure exactly what
could or should have been done with it.

relabel it as an air polluter? New goods don't need PAT testing AIUI.

and how long does that "new" category last?

AIUI the usual test interval for the item.

Being suspicious, I PAT tested
4 new theatre lights a few years ago. One failed with no connection between
the earth pin on the moulded plug and the metalwork of the case.

Yes... there's certainly new equipment I'd not pass out there.

NT

AFCI test rig and test design Robert Green Home Repair 16 July 18th 13 08:12 AM
Clausing 5914 - Test Report Requirements Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 19 June 1st 08 07:03 PM
rip off report HeatMan Home Repair 13 March 22nd 06 12:10 AM
Product Test Report-Cold Heat Soldering Iron Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 24 November 27th 05 01:00 AM
The new toy report Mary Fisher UK diy 20 May 24th 05 10:13 PM