Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default PAT test and a H&S report

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
writes:
On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 8:46:56 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

I notice it is notionally fixed equipment. I would fail it for having a
non standard plug with no nearby suitable socket.

If it is fixed equipment, then it is not subject to PAT testing anyway
as it is not portable. .

PAT is a nickname - "portable" doesn't appear in the real name.
The testing applies to all appliances, except the wiring installation
and any lighting which is part of the wiring installation, and also
excludes anything else which has its own testing regime defined in other
legislation (such as a passenger lift).

Think of "portable" as applying to the tester, i.e. the tester should
be carried around to where the appliance is used, and appliances should
not normally be moved out of their normal use situation for testing.

PAT is an acronym.
Portable Appliance Test.
And anything fitted with a plug is by definition portable. Even if it's
screwed down/heavy.
So Adam is right. It fails.

PAT testers were designed for idiots that didn't know how to test portable
equipment with ordinarily availble instruments.
And I suspect for job creation.