Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2-pin plug supplied

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Yes and as far as I am aware, the voltage can legally be 230v. Most devices

Isolating shaver sockets are typically 270V off-load, or at the very
small load chargers use, and the appliances have to cope with that.

(If you have a wide voltage range charger, you might want to plug it
in to the 120V socket instead, if it fits or you have a safe adapter.)

I find that in hotels, razor plugs are often a sloppy fit in shaver 240V
sockets (possibly as a result of frequent use by heavy-handed
customers), and tend to fall out. The fit in the 120V pair of holes is
usually firmer (presumably because one has had much less wear and tear).

that run off these plugs are supposed to compensate. I have noticed, however
that there do seem to be two varieties of this plug, one with slightly
thinner pins.

The UK shaver plug is not the same as the EU 2-pin plug.
Most shaver sockets are designed to accept both in the 230V socket.

The only UK 13A 3-pin male to 2-hole female adapter that I've ever found
to provide a really good fit for the plug of any razor I've had was
supplied with a cheap Chinese amateur radio hand-held two-way radio (for
its wide voltage range, wall wart charger, which has USA blades as
pins).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
My bathroom light was like that, as supplied. So I re-engineered it to
power the transformer from the incoming live rather than the switched
live. Why don't you do the same? This *is* a DIY group!

[I have put a warning label on the socket to the effect that it's live
even when the light is switched off].

Many isolated shaver sockets actually have an internal switch so they are
only powered when something is plugged in.

I never saw one which wasn't switched by the socket shutters.

I doubt one which is part of a
light has the same - if it only worked when the light is on.

Ones on lights may or may not have an isolating transformer.
Only those with isolating transformers can be installed in rooms
with a bath or shower.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Many isolated shaver sockets actually have an internal switch so they
are only powered when something is plugged in.

I never saw one which wasn't switched by the socket shutters.

I doubt one which is part of a
light has the same - if it only worked when the light is on.

Ones on lights may or may not have an isolating transformer.
Only those with isolating transformers can be installed in rooms
with a bath or shower.

I was obviously referring to the type with a transformer in the part of my
post you snipped. ;-)

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2014 11:25:29 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
[...]

I got this with my UV-5R
https://flic.kr/p/nt8gci

The supplied charger has euro pins
https://flic.kr/p/nKrnQE

But beware, the adapter has no fuse
https://flic.kr/p/nMpmKg
So plug it directly in to a 32A fused final circuit at your peril!

I bet your adapter is likewise unused. It would be illegal to sell in
the UK.

PS I don't trust the S.M PSU either, it's plugged into an adapter
fused at 3A just in case.

Excellent value radio though.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2014 10:53:55 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.

But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a
2-pin plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't
remember where, nor the outcome.

Are you unable to change a plug? If so, why would it be someone else's
problem?

How do you change the plug on a wall wart?

And even if it was a molded plug on a lead he would have been ill
advised to change it. For starters it would invalidate the warrantee.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 21:53, Roger Mills wrote:
My bathroom light was like that, as supplied. So I re-engineered it to
power the transformer from the incoming live rather than the switched
live. Why don't you do the same? This *is* a DIY group!

[I have put a warning label on the socket to the effect that it's live
even when the light is switched off].

Because it also buzzed when it was on I could of course have switched
it elsewhere, outside the safe zones - but it was too much trouble.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2014 21:14, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2014 11:25:29 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
[...]

This
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Elec.../sd2620/p60290
is a UK two pin adapter.

It is not the same size as european two pin sockets/plugs.

This
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EURO-EUROP...item2ed12d31fe
is a converter for european two pin psus.

They are fused.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 00:36, Davey wrote:
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.
Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same model, so
that's where we bought it.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

I have \oral-B also has only 2 pin, to be honest this is what you
would expect them to fit as that is the only type of AC outlet in a
bathroom.

So they are being helpful.

The fact you don't have a transformer isolated supply means you have to
charge elsewhere, and supply your own adapter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
On Mon, 26 May 2014 11:25:29 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
[...]

Mine's the UV-3R. The adapter's the same as yours, and as I said, the
charger PSU has the USA blades (which the adapter will also take). I use
it for both the radio charger and for my razor. As you say, there's no
fuse, but in normal use, it usually gets plugged into a fused 4-way
extension strip - so a 13A fuse is better than none.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 26, 2014 10:53:55 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a
2-pin plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't
remember where, nor the outcome.

Are you unable to change a plug? If so, why would it be someone else's
problem?

How do you change the plug on a wall wart?

All the oral b brushes I've seen have had a mains lead wth a plug on.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 26, 2014 9:38:29 PM UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2014 10:53:55 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.

But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a
2-pin plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't
remember where, nor the outcome.

Are you unable to change a plug? If so, why would it be someone else's
problem?

How do you change the plug on a wall wart?

And even if it was a molded plug on a lead he would have been ill
advised to change it. For starters it would invalidate the warrantee.

I;ve never encountered anyone try to dodge a warranty claim by saying fitting a mains plug invalidates the warranty. If they did I'd be sending them an LBA.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 12:22:39 +0100, Bill
wrote:

In message , Davey
writes

. The same for
my wife. I keep a manual one for emergencies.

No comment.................

Me neither, but it's tempting.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 13:23:14 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
writes

Most shaver sockets I see have sockets which will allow a variety of
different shaped two pin plugs from overseas to fit, flat two pin,
,angled two pin . I doubt if all these plugs are just for toothbrushes
and shavers

It depends what you mean by 'just for'. I think you'll find that all
such bathroom outlets are labelled "For shavers only".

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/cQ89kH

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 15:17:43 +0100
Roger Mills wrote:

On 25/05/2014 11:16, Davey wrote:

No argument, but ever since starting to use en electric one, I have
loved the extra power and depth of cleaning that it gives. The same
for my wife.

Glad to hear that your wife has lots of power and depth of cleaning!

I keep a manual one for emergencies.

What does a manual wife look like?

Yeah, I realised the bad expression as soon as I had posted that, but
reckoned that any attempt to explain it would only just dig me deeper
and deeper, so I just let it go.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
In article ,
bert ] wrote:
Tooth brushes like razors seem to always come with two pin 'shaver
plugs. Essential when they were mains - but rather strange when they
are re-chargeable. My shaver socket is only live when the bathroom
lights are on. But even if it weren't, it's a silly place to re-charge
a razor, etc.

In what way is it silly given that is where I use the said shaver and
toothbrush.

If it is mains operated. you have no choice but to power it from a special
socket in the bathroom. If it is rechargeable, it can be plugged in
somewhere rather safer.

How much safer is a bedroom than a bathroom for charging? Do we have
figures for deaths from shaver chargers in bathrooms and "other rooms"
for comparison? I would not be at all surprised if the figures were
both zero for almost any chosen year.

It is very often more convenient to charge in the bathroom.

Esp given that that is where yo are most likely to use said razor and
toothbrush.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert ] wrote:
It is very often more convenient to charge in the bathroom.

Esp given that that is where yo are most likely to use said razor and
toothbrush.

But it's not like they need charging every day. If they do, and it's
convenient to use the shaver socket to charge them because that's where
you use them, why not just get the mains version and save a load of money?

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But it's not like they need charging every day. If they do, and it's
convenient to use the shaver socket to charge them because that's where
you use them, why not just get the mains version and save a load of money?

Do mains electric toothbrushes exist? Even mains shavers are pretty
rare now, and only the bottom-end models.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2014 10:36, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Yes and as far as I am aware, the voltage can legally be 230v. Most devices

Isolating shaver sockets are typically 270V off-load, or at the very
small load chargers use, and the appliances have to cope with that.

(If you have a wide voltage range charger, you might want to plug it
in to the 120V socket instead, if it fits or you have a safe adapter.)

Might be a problem for some really dodgy US razor kit that is made down
to a minimum price and will only be safe at under 150v and 60Hz.

that run off these plugs are supposed to compensate. I have noticed, however
that there do seem to be two varieties of this plug, one with slightly
thinner pins.

The UK shaver plug is not the same as the EU 2-pin plug.
Most shaver sockets are designed to accept both in the 230V socket.

Although for many of them that have the charger built into a thickened
plug and designed primarily for the continental market not to keep the
damn thing from falling out again when you remove your hand.

You can buy continental socket adaptors to work with them or adaptors
that take a two pin plug and turn it into a three pin.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 May 2014 11:16:15 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
On Sun, 25 May 2014 11:08:07 +0100

A quick, cost effective answer would be to buy a manual one!

No electrical worries, no need to buy batteries and can be used any
where at any time.

No argument, but ever since starting to use en electric one, I have
loved the extra power and depth of cleaning that it gives.

The same for
my wife. I keep a manual one for emergencies.

You have an automatic and manual wife sounds likie two much trouble ;-)

When my electric toothbrush runs out of power I continue to use it, but it just takes a little longer, I've found a 10-15min charge time is just enough for a 2min clean which is the 2nd option if I have the time.

--

Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2014 11:48:22 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

Might be a problem for some really dodgy US razor kit that is made
down to a minimum price and will only be safe at under 150v and 60Hz.

Until the batteries recently gave up, I was using a US 120v 50-60 Hz
unit plugged into one of those travel adaptor transformers (outside the
bathroom). It ran like that for more than three years, and was in use in
the US before that. It is certainly not worth the hassle of trying to
replace the battery in it, which is all that has failed. Ok for maybe 6
years of continuous use.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2014 04:23:44 -0700 (PDT)
whisky-dave wrote:

You have an automatic and manual wife sounds likie two much
trouble ;-)

Not going into that subject ......

When my electric toothbrush runs out of power I continue to use it,
but it just takes a little longer, I've found a 10-15min charge time
is just enough for a 2min clean which is the 2nd option if I have the
time.

This one still works, but even left permanently plugged in, it slows
down about half way through the two-minute period to a speed that
doesn't do any good.
It's a dead toothbrush, it is on its way to meet its maker.
WEEE !!

You are welcome to it, if you want it. It has, as already described up
above, been replaced.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But it's not like they need charging every day. If they do, and it's
convenient to use the shaver socket to charge them because that's where
you use them, why not just get the mains version and save a load of
money?

Do mains electric toothbrushes exist? Even mains shavers are pretty
rare now, and only the bottom-end models.

Well, mains electric drills could be considered 'bottom end' price wise -
but still out perform any cordless. ;-)

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had expected my toothbrush plug to fit in contenental hotel sockets but
the socket holes are either too small - or too widely spaced.
What is the proper solution?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I had expected my toothbrush plug to fit in contenental
hotel sockets but the socket holes are either too small
- or too widely spaced. What is the proper solution?

as discussed earlier in the thread, plugs for 'shaver
sockets' are not the same as continental 2 pin. You need a
'smiley' continental adapter like 2nd (pink adapter) and 3rd
pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h8k8vutc7...D7Th0HHPWIHTwa

john

--
John Mulrooney

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How do you change the plug on a wall wart?

And even if it was a molded plug on a lead he would have been ill
advised to change it. For starters it would invalidate the warrantee.

I believe the type of lead is not very easy to connect to a plug as the
conductor is like tinsel and cotton (from an old razor experience)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DerbyBorn wrote:

I believe the type of lead is not very easy to connect to a plug as the
conductor is like tinsel and cotton (from an old razor experience)

Use a ferrule.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 30, 2014 8:57:17 AM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

How do you change the plug on a wall wart?
And even if it was a molded plug on a lead he would have been ill

advised to change it. For starters it would invalidate the warrantee.

I believe the type of lead is not very easy to connect to a plug as the
conductor is like tinsel and cotton (from an old razor experience)

I've not come across that used in mains in a very long time. I dont see how it would be legal nowadays, a 13A fuse would never protect it.

NT