Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default 2-pin plug supplied

On Mon, 26 May 2014 11:24:55 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Many isolated shaver sockets actually have an internal switch so they are
only powered when something is plugged in.

I never saw one which wasn't switched by the socket shutters.

I doubt one which is part of a
light has the same - if it only worked when the light is on.

Ones on lights may or may not have an isolating transformer.
Only those with isolating transformers can be installed in rooms
with a bath or shower.

For a while a about 30 years ago I did the odd stint as crew on a
reasonably old ship. It had undergone a small refit in the early
seventies and crew accommodation slightly modernised.
The crew wash room had been fitted with a couple of lights with
sockets above mirrors at the back of the washbasins ,these lights were
supplied with 220 Volt DC . Don't know what possessed the shipyard to
put them in with sockets.
As far as I remember no one ever used them, I remember getting a
painful belt of the main light switch when a salty wet hand dripped a
little too much on it and another crew member fried his radio by
plugging it into a cabin socket. The cabin sockets were 5 amp round
pin type. They were labeled 220 DC but this crew member wasn't that
bright unlike the innards of his radio.

G.Harman