Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default 2-pin plug supplied

On Mon, 26 May 2014 11:25:29 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Yes and as far as I am aware, the voltage can legally be 230v. Most devices

Isolating shaver sockets are typically 270V off-load, or at the very
small load chargers use, and the appliances have to cope with that.

(If you have a wide voltage range charger, you might want to plug it
in to the 120V socket instead, if it fits or you have a safe adapter.)

I find that in hotels, razor plugs are often a sloppy fit in shaver 240V
sockets (possibly as a result of frequent use by heavy-handed
customers), and tend to fall out. The fit in the 120V pair of holes is
usually firmer (presumably because one has had much less wear and tear).

that run off these plugs are supposed to compensate. I have noticed, however
that there do seem to be two varieties of this plug, one with slightly
thinner pins.

The UK shaver plug is not the same as the EU 2-pin plug.
Most shaver sockets are designed to accept both in the 230V socket.

The only UK 13A 3-pin male to 2-hole female adapter that I've ever found
to provide a really good fit for the plug of any razor I've had was
supplied with a cheap Chinese amateur radio hand-held two-way radio (for
its wide voltage range, wall wart charger, which has USA blades as
pins).

I got this with my UV-5R
https://flic.kr/p/nt8gci

The supplied charger has euro pins
https://flic.kr/p/nKrnQE

But beware, the adapter has no fuse
https://flic.kr/p/nMpmKg
So plug it directly in to a 32A fused final circuit at your peril!

I bet your adapter is likewise unused. It would be illegal to sell in
the UK.

PS I don't trust the S.M PSU either, it's plugged into an adapter
fused at 3A just in case.

Excellent value radio though.

--

Graham.