Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2-pin plug supplied

I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.
Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same model, so
that's where we bought it.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:36:44 AM UTC+1, Davey wrote:
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

There's a provision in the Regulations for shavers and similar items to be used in bathrooms, which have 2 pin plugs suitable for shaver outlets. It should be a proper UK shaver plug though, not a Euro 2-pin.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.
Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same model, so
that's where we bought it.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

A bathroom shaver socket has a transformer fitted and is isolated from the
mains supply.
This makes it next to impossible to get an electric shock.
The bathroom socket can only supply a few watts
This is why shavers and toothbrushes have a special plug, so only they can
fit into the bathroom socket
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and as far as I am aware, the voltage can legally be 230v. Most devices
that run off these plugs are supposed to compensate. I have noticed, however
that there do seem to be two varieties of this plug, one with slightly
thinner pins.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
On Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:36:44 AM UTC+1, Davey wrote:
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

There's a provision in the Regulations for shavers and similar items to be
used in bathrooms, which have 2 pin plugs suitable for shaver outlets. It
should be a proper UK shaver plug though, not a Euro 2-pin.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

I'm almost sure tht toothbrushes all come with the shaver plugs these
days, as do, um shavers.
Brian

And they don't fit into European sockets so you need an adaptor on the
continent
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 08:30:11 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.
Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same model, so
that's where we bought it.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets,
A bathroom shaver socket has a transformer fitted and is isolated from the
mains supply.
This makes it next to impossible to get an electric shock.
The bathroom socket can only supply a few watts

Most shaver sockets I see have sockets which will allow a variety of
different shaped two pin plugs from overseas to fit, flat two pin,
,angled two pin . I doubt if all these plugs are just for toothbrushes
and shavers
The UK shaver plug has the same pin size and spacing as an old 2 pin 5
amp plug so if I so desired i would have no trouble plugging an
ancient lamp from by Grans House which has been packed away for about
50 years. Equally I do know of a premises that still has a 2 pin 5 amp
socket in place. A toothbrush could easily be plugged in.

So your statement
This is why shavers and toothbrushes have a special plug, so only they can
fit into the bathroom socket

is wrong.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
[...]

But I don't have a bathroom shaver socket, so what am I supposed to do?

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/05/2014 10:30, Davey wrote:

But I don't have a bathroom shaver socket, so what am I supposed to do?

You can use an adapter, but can I suggest charging the toothbrush
outside the bathroom. I certainly would not run an extension flex into
the bathroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.
Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same model, so
that's where we bought it.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

Tooth brushes like razors seem to always come with two pin 'shaver plugs.
Essential when they were mains - but rather strange when they are
re-chargeable. My shaver socket is only live when the bathroom lights are
on. But even if it weren't, it's a silly place to re-charge a razor, etc.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davey
writes

But I don't have a bathroom shaver socket, so what am I supposed to do?

A quick, cost effective answer would be to buy a manual one!

No electrical worries, no need to buy batteries and can be used any
where at any time.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 11:08:07 +0100
Bill wrote:

In message , Davey
writes

But I don't have a bathroom shaver socket, so what am I supposed to
do?

A quick, cost effective answer would be to buy a manual one!

No electrical worries, no need to buy batteries and can be used any
where at any time.

No argument, but ever since starting to use en electric one, I have
loved the extra power and depth of cleaning that it gives. The same for
my wife. I keep a manual one for emergencies.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 11:01:20 +0100
GB wrote:

On 25/05/2014 10:30, Davey wrote:

But I don't have a bathroom shaver socket, so what am I supposed to
do?

You can use an adapter, but can I suggest charging the toothbrush
outside the bathroom. I certainly would not run an extension flex
into the bathroom.

Nor would I. There is a convenient socket just outside the bathroom,
which is perfect, but it's the principle that surprises me. But of
course, it's a lot cheaper to just fit a simple fuse-less 2-pin plug
rather than a spec. UK fused 3-pin one.
As I mentioned, I do have several adaptors, but that's by luck, not
design. What if I had none? Would the seller be required to give me one,
and if not, why not? I purchased an appliance, in the UK, for use in a
UK household, and it does not work as purchased.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/05/2014 11:20, Davey wrote:

Nor would I. There is a convenient socket just outside the bathroom,
which is perfect, but it's the principle that surprises me. But of
course, it's a lot cheaper to just fit a simple fuse-less 2-pin plug
rather than a spec. UK fused 3-pin one.
As I mentioned, I do have several adaptors, but that's by luck, not
design. What if I had none? Would the seller be required to give me one,
and if not, why not? I purchased an appliance, in the UK, for use in a
UK household, and it does not work as purchased.

I don't know the law, but you can look up the regs as easily as anybody.
You are just assuming that the regs say the plug supplied has to be a 3
pin one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey wrote:

Nor would I. There is a convenient socket just outside the bathroom,
which is perfect, but it's the principle that surprises me. But of
course, it's a lot cheaper to just fit a simple fuse-less 2-pin plug
rather than a spec. UK fused 3-pin one.

The charger is intended to be used in the bathroom, just like a
shaver, so it must have a two-pin plug. Would you complain if a
shaver had a two-pin plug (as they all do)?

-- Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davey
writes

. The same for
my wife. I keep a manual one for emergencies.

No comment.................
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 11:01, GB wrote:
On 25/05/2014 10:30, Davey wrote:

But I don't have a bathroom shaver socket, so what am I supposed to do?

You can use an adapter, but can I suggest charging the toothbrush
outside the bathroom. I certainly would not run an extension flex into
the bathroom.

+1
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 11:16, Davey wrote:

No argument, but ever since starting to use en electric one, I have
loved the extra power and depth of cleaning that it gives. The same for
my wife.

Glad to hear that your wife has lots of power and depth of cleaning! g

I keep a manual one for emergencies.

What does a manual wife look like?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 11:20, Davey wrote:

Nor would I. There is a convenient socket just outside the bathroom,
which is perfect, but it's the principle that surprises me. But of
course, it's a lot cheaper to just fit a simple fuse-less 2-pin plug
rather than a spec. UK fused 3-pin one.
As I mentioned, I do have several adaptors, but that's by luck, not
design. What if I had none? Would the seller be required to give me one,
and if not, why not? I purchased an appliance, in the UK, for use in a
UK household, and it does not work as purchased.

As others have said, the most likely use is in the bathroom, using a
shaver socket. If if came fitted with a 13A 3-pin plug, you wouldn't be
able to do that. But, the way it is, you *can* use it in a 13A socket
outside the bathroom by using an adaptor - albeit not supplied with it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davey
writes

wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Get a 3 pin - 2 pin adapter and charge your tooth brush outside the
bathroom
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Davey wrote:
[...]

In what way is it silly given that is where I use the said shaver and
toothbrush.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 00:36, Davey wrote:
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.
Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same model, so
that's where we bought it.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

Buy a shaver adapter to plug into a 13A socket.
Or cut the plug off and fit a new plug.
They are fine on 240V mains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May 2014 14:36:13 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2014 15:17:43 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

On 25/05/2014 11:16, Davey wrote:

No argument, but ever since starting to use en electric one, I have
loved the extra power and depth of cleaning that it gives. The same for
my wife.

Glad to hear that your wife has lots of power and depth of cleaning! g

I keep a manual one for emergencies.

What does a manual wife look like?

Your hand.

Certainly adds possibilities to "RTFM"
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 13:23:14 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
writes

Most shaver sockets I see have sockets which will allow a variety of
different shaped two pin plugs from overseas to fit, flat two pin,
,angled two pin . I doubt if all these plugs are just for toothbrushes
and shavers

It depends what you mean by 'just for'. I think you'll find that all
such bathroom outlets are labelled "For shavers only".

Which is what they were developed for, it's probably too awkard to
change the lettering or get type approval to account for the
development of Electric toothbrushes which I wouldn't be too surprised
were well on the way to be more more numerous than electric shavers as
the whole family can usually use them.

Any how my comment was about the the two pin plugs not the sockets
which Harry was trying to suggest were special to Shavers and
toothbrushes. Shavers and toothbrushes may be the last common use of
round two pin plugs in the UK but the American flat two pin plug and
the flat angled two pin plug used In Australasia/ China which these
shaver units also take are still used for lots of things besides
shavers and tooth brushes , It will be rare that a foreign user will
bring such an appliance over and attempt to use it in a UK shaver
socket, but I bet a US travel Iron has blown a few Hotel ones as the
user has seen the possiblity of plugging in.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert ] wrote:
Tooth brushes like razors seem to always come with two pin 'shaver
plugs. Essential when they were mains - but rather strange when they
are re-chargeable. My shaver socket is only live when the bathroom
lights are on. But even if it weren't, it's a silly place to re-charge
a razor, etc.

In what way is it silly given that is where I use the said shaver and
toothbrush.

If it is mains operated. you have no choice but to power it from a special
socket in the bathroom. If it is rechargeable, it can be plugged in
somewhere rather safer.

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 00:36:44 +0100, Davey
wrote:

I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.
Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same model, so
that's where we bought it.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

Two pin plugs have been normal for shavers and toothbrushes for as
long as I can remember.

Use an adapter, widely available.

I have noticed that a lot of hotel bathrooms don't now have a shaver
socket, I expect the thinking is that we all use rechargeable.

personally I don't like rechargeable shavers, I expect 15-20 years out
of a Philishave, and get it, batteries wouldn't last that long.

I bought a Philishave for my son, the same model was twice the price
in Argos compared to Boots next door, but it was a rechargeable one. I
couldn't find a mains one, are they still made?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert ] wrote:
Tooth brushes like razors seem to always come with two pin 'shaver
plugs. Essential when they were mains - but rather strange when they
are re-chargeable. My shaver socket is only live when the bathroom
lights are on. But even if it weren't, it's a silly place to re-charge
a razor, etc.

In what way is it silly given that is where I use the said shaver and
toothbrush.

If it is mains operated. you have no choice but to power it from a special
socket in the bathroom. If it is rechargeable, it can be plugged in
somewhere rather safer.

How much safer is a bedroom than a bathroom for charging? Do we have
figures for deaths from shaver chargers in bathrooms and "other rooms"
for comparison? I would not be at all surprised if the figures were both
zero for almost any chosen year.

It is very often more convenient to charge in the bathroom.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:36:44 AM UTC+1, Davey wrote:

I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.

But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin
plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember
where, nor the outcome.

Are you unable to change a plug? If so, why would it be someone else's problem?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Yes and as far as I am aware, the voltage can legally be 230v. Most devices

Isolating shaver sockets are typically 270V off-load, or at the very
small load chargers use, and the appliances have to cope with that.

(If you have a wide voltage range charger, you might want to plug it
in to the 120V socket instead, if it fits or you have a safe adapter.)

that run off these plugs are supposed to compensate. I have noticed, however
that there do seem to be two varieties of this plug, one with slightly
thinner pins.

The UK shaver plug is not the same as the EU 2-pin plug.
Most shaver sockets are designed to accept both in the 230V socket.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
personally I don't like rechargeable shavers, I expect 15-20 years out
of a Philishave, and get it, batteries wouldn't last that long.

Neither do the cutting heads. They can cost as much as a new shaver.

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
My bathroom light was like that, as supplied. So I re-engineered it to
power the transformer from the incoming live rather than the switched
live. Why don't you do the same? This *is* a DIY group!

[I have put a warning label on the socket to the effect that it's live
even when the light is switched off].

Many isolated shaver sockets actually have an internal switch so they are
only powered when something is plugged in. I doubt one which is part of a
light has the same - if it only worked when the light is on.

So I'd need to be sure the transformer is happy being powered up 24/7 -
and even then it will waste power unnecessarily.

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
If it is mains operated. you have no choice but to power it from a
special socket in the bathroom. If it is rechargeable, it can be
plugged in somewhere rather safer.

How much safer is a bedroom than a bathroom for charging? Do we have
figures for deaths from shaver chargers in bathrooms and "other rooms"
for comparison? I would not be at all surprised if the figures were both
zero for almost any chosen year.

It might be safer for the device being charged. Dropping it on a hard
surface or into water, etc.

It is very often more convenient to charge in the bathroom.

Obviously depends on circumstances. I have other cordless devices which
I'd normally use in the bathroom which don't have a two pin plug anyway.
Like hair clippers.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty
much universally available.

But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a
2-pin plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of
suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who
probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready
device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't
remember where, nor the outcome.

Are you unable to change a plug? If so, why would it be someone else's
problem?

How do you change the plug on a wall wart?

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*