Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I despair (take 2 ...) OT

The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased from
the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and 'everythink' at
best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV presenters - including
the educated ones - can't get it right.

So, today, I'm driving along, and I see a large sign on the side of a
building that says (something too small to read) on the top line, then THINK
on the next line then (something else too small to read) and finally on the
bottom line HOME. So the intended impact statement is "THINK - HOME",
because it was a sort of home furnishings depot. And what did the two lines
of small text say when I got closer ? The first was "Every", and the other
was "for the".

So the total sign actually read "Every THINK for the HOME". How sad is it
that whoever came up with that little gem, really thought that they were
making a clever play on words ?

And why on earth didn't the sign producer quietly advise them that their
idea wasn't *quite* right. Because they were too thick themselves to
realise, maybe ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Essex speak, that's all. Just a fly-by-night fad for the brain dead.

It succeeded in that it attracted your attention and here you are posting
about it here.
Don't worry, they'll all be speaking Polish in Essex soon and the fad will
disappear along with Mondeos.
Just be sure never to go into the place. I will support you, I won't go in
either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, well, maybe it was supposed to be kind of wrong?

Like innit?

I also note that the American way of saying Aluminium is catching on over
here. I blame these American non comedy films where the gag can be seen
being set up about three minutes out.

If you really want to be annoyed about the way people speak though, note
that we do seem to have a completely new accent in the UK. Bits of American
twang, some Carabean, some Asian, throw in some eastern European to taste
and one gets some almost uninteligable spoken word.

archery seems to now be Archewee, but There is now Ther, ie no actual end,
so maybe we are just seeing the start of a World English of some sort.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 07:54:02 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Member Bro, don ya Shart aboo ii, wees gonna fin yees Krook

I mean These australian words are also coming in you know.
Brian

Australian does have the advantage of using only 2 vowels.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

Also, is it just me or does the word "accidentally" not exist in the
English language? As far as I can tell I'm the only person who uses it
since absolutely everyone else uses the appaulingly clunky "by accident".

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/14 02:06, Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

It started with the "provincial accent" replacing standard english and
went downhill from there...

So, today, I'm driving along, and I see a large sign on the side of a
building that says (something too small to read) on the top line, then
THINK on the next line then (something else too small to read) and
finally on the bottom line HOME. So the intended impact statement is
"THINK - HOME", because it was a sort of home furnishings depot. And
what did the two lines of small text say when I got closer ? The first
was "Every", and the other was "for the".

So the total sign actually read "Every THINK for the HOME". How sad is
it that whoever came up with that little gem, really thought that they
were making a clever play on words ?

And why on earth didn't the sign producer quietly advise them that their
idea wasn't *quite* right. Because they were too thick themselves to
realise, maybe ?

The signmaker was as poorly educated as the customer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/14 07:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
Member Bro, don ya Shart aboo ii, wees gonna fin yees Krook

Here's £5 sonny, nip into the charity shop and buy some trousers that fit...

;-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why, over the last couple of years, have Radio 4 presenters started pronouncing "quarter" as "korter"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/14 09:08, Scott M wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

Also, is it just me or does the word "accidentally" not exist in the
English language? As far as I can tell I'm the only person who uses it
since absolutely everyone else uses the appaulingly clunky "by accident".

I see official signage in London (temporary signs on laminated paper,
not permanent signs) from such bodies as Westminster Council that have
no concept of grammar nor correct spelling.

Sometimes it's a typo, but even so, which supervisor let it go out the
door without a second look?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 09:35:00 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 27/04/14 09:08, Scott M wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

Also, is it just me or does the word "accidentally" not exist in the
English language? As far as I can tell I'm the only person who uses it
since absolutely everyone else uses the appaulingly clunky "by
accident".

I see official signage in London (temporary signs on laminated paper,
not permanent signs) from such bodies as Westminster Council that have
no concept of grammar nor correct spelling.

Sometimes it's a typo, but even so, which supervisor let it go out the
door without a second look?

The one who is also illiterate.

Councils can't afford to employ that many good people, and most of them
seem to hate their job and take it out on the 'customers'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 27/04/2014 07:49, Brian Gaff wrote:

so maybe we are just seeing the start of a World English of some sort.
Brian

One of the QI episodes touched on this, if you come across it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 27/04/2014 02:06, Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

Slightly related, the one that annoys me more is the hard "G" on the
end, think I prefer the "K"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott M
writes

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

I'm sure that "less" people say "anythink" than those who say "could of"
- but more say "less" when they really mean "fewer".

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Apr 2014 09:59:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Sometimes it's a typo, but even so, which supervisor let it go out

the
door without a second look?

The one who is also illiterate.

And also doesn't know what the red and green squiggly underlines mean
in Word?

Or do they arrogantly turn them off, thus typos, spelling and grammer
mistake don't get flagged up. Yes Words grammer can be a bit odd but
at least it's waving a flag suggesting that it is probably a good
idea to look at what you *have* written not what you think you have.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 09:08:34 +0100, Scott M
wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

Also, is it just me or does the word "accidentally" not exist in the
English language? As far as I can tell I'm the only person who uses it
since absolutely everyone else uses the appaulingly clunky "by accident".

Along with other appallingly misspelled words.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 01:34:20 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

Why, over the last couple of years, have Radio 4 presenters started pronouncing "quarter" as "korter"?

If we're including mispronunciations, the one that really 'grates' is
the controversially clunky pronouncement of the word "Controversy"
where the stress has been shifted from the second syllable (where it
damn well belongs) to the first (which just makes it sound very
cumbersome and unnatural).

This _seems_[1] to be an americanism if the 'sound' buttons (UK and
USA) are compared on the Cambridge Dictionaries on Line site:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/controversy#

[1] I use _seems_ because I think this is down to some git in the RP
department two or three decades ago at the BBC deciding to run a sly
experiment of their own on the power of abuse of the spoken word that
resides within this department.

If you're in such a 'delicious' situation of power, what better word
to test this controversial experiment on than the word "controversy"
itself?

This guy must be laughing up his sleeve every time he hears that word
spoken, not just by the BBC but by other broadcasters who should've[2]
known better.

[2] Short for 'should _have_' BTW.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 11:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 27 Apr 2014 09:59:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Sometimes it's a typo, but even so, which supervisor let it go out

the
door without a second look?

The one who is also illiterate.

And also doesn't know what the red and green squiggly underlines mean
in Word?

Or do they arrogantly turn them off, thus typos, spelling and grammer
mistake don't get flagged up. Yes Words grammer can be a bit odd but

ITYM Word's grammar. Grin

at least it's waving a flag suggesting that it is probably a good
idea to look at what you *have* written not what you think you have.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

People who write "your" instead of "you're".
"To" instead of "too"

Quite thick people have access to sending their written word all over the
world. Many think it doesn't matter if these errors are made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 12:19, John Williamson wrote:
On 27/04/2014 11:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 27 Apr 2014 09:59:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Sometimes it's a typo, but even so, which supervisor let it go out

the
door without a second look?

The one who is also illiterate.

And also doesn't know what the red and green squiggly underlines mean
in Word?

Or do they arrogantly turn them off, thus typos, spelling and grammer
mistake don't get flagged up. Yes Words grammer can be a bit odd but

ITYM Word's grammar. Grin

Isn't that one of Murphy's Laws; that anybody complaining about spelling
or grammar is bound to make a mistake in one or the other?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
I see official signage in London (temporary signs on laminated paper,
not permanent signs) from such bodies as Westminster Council that have
no concept of grammar nor correct spelling.
Sometimes it's a typo, but even so, which supervisor let it go out the
door without a second look?

Council supervisors aren't expected to be literate. They are expected to respect diversity and value inclusion in the workplace and sit in meetings think-bubbling awareness and empowerment with post-it notes.

When they get to management level they're allowed to order up to £5.00 of paperclips from an approved supplier without referring to a senior manager..

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Johny B Good
writes
wrote:

Why, over the last couple of years, have Radio 4 presenters started
pronouncing "quarter" as "korter"?

If we're including mispronunciations

"Pronunciation" is invariably mis-pronounced as "pronounciation" (even
on a Radio 4 programme about the BBC's Pronunciation Department).

, the one that really 'grates' is
the controversially clunky pronouncement of the word "Controversy"
where the stress has been shifted from the second syllable (where it
damn well belongs) to the first (which just makes it sound very
cumbersome and unnatural).

And "ha-RASS".

This _seems_[1] to be an americanism if the 'sound' buttons (UK and
USA) are compared on the Cambridge Dictionaries on Line site:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/controversy#

[1] I use _seems_ because I think this is down to some git in the RP
department two or three decades ago at the BBC deciding to run a sly
experiment of their own on the power of abuse of the spoken word that
resides within this department.

If you're in such a 'delicious' situation of power, what better word
to test this controversial experiment on than the word "controversy"
itself?

This guy must be laughing up his sleeve every time he hears that word
spoken, not just by the BBC but by other broadcasters who should've[2]
known better.

[2] Short for 'should _have_' BTW.

With, of course, "shoulda" being short for "should of".

On radio and TV, I note an increasing number of presenters tending to
say 'AY' for 'a' - even when there is no need to impart any stress.

And then there are those who insist on writing "it's" when it's really
"its" (more-or-less standard by Americans).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 12:28:44 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

Or do they arrogantly turn them off, thus typos, spelling and

grammer
mistake don't get flagged up. Yes Words grammer can be a bit odd

but

ITYM Word's grammar. Grin

Isn't that one of Murphy's Laws; that anybody complaining about spelling
or grammar is bound to make a mistake in one or the other?

I wasn't complaining, but it highlights the point. If I had been
using Word it would have flagged the error.

I can't remember the law but it's not Murphy's Law that's "If
something can go wrong, it will":

Once all 18 shear head security screws have been sheared it will be
found the gasket has been omitted.

All random errors add up unidirectionally for maximum difficulty of
assembly,

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes

And "ha-RASS".

I think Frank Spencer started that.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Scott M
writes

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

I'm sure that "less" people say "anythink" than those who say "could of" -
but more say "less" when they really mean "fewer".

--
Ian

I was always impressed that Waitrose got it right at their basket-only
tills, where the sign said "10 items or fewer" ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
People who write "your" instead of "you're".
"To" instead of "too"

Quite thick people have access to sending their written word all over the
world. Many think it doesn't matter if these errors are made.

There is quite a compelling argument that these are the sort of people
who, 20+ years ago, would have never had cause to use the written
language once they left school so any use of the written form is an
improvement (even if it gets up our collective noses!)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Scott M
writes

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

I'm sure that "less" people say "anythink" than those who say "could
of" - but more say "less" when they really mean "fewer".

Come to Hertfordshire and join the *must ovs*

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 11:16, Lee wrote:
On 27/04/2014 02:06, Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

Slightly related, the one that annoys me more is the hard "G" on the
end, think I prefer the "K"

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth, is it a speech problem or more
likely a brain problem.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 15:49:14 +0100, Scott M wrote:

Quite thick people have access to sending their written word all over
the world. Many think it doesn't matter if these errors are made.

There is quite a compelling argument that these are the sort of people
who, 20+ years ago, would have never had cause to use the written
language once they left school so any use of the written form is an
improvement (even if it gets up our collective noses!)

I hadn't thought about that angle before - you're very probably bang-on
the money with that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/14 09:35, Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/04/14 09:08, Scott M wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

Also, is it just me or does the word "accidentally" not exist in the
English language? As far as I can tell I'm the only person who uses it
since absolutely everyone else uses the appaulingly clunky "by accident".

I see official signage in London (temporary signs on laminated paper,
not permanent signs) from such bodies as Westminster Council that have
no concept of grammar nor correct spelling.

I got fined for parking 'In a prescribed place'

I NEARLY took that one to a higher authority.

Sometimes it's a typo, but even so, which supervisor let it go out the
door without a second look?

Mate we are editing stuff on a daily basis sending back correct grammar
and spelling, only to have it returned because it 'doesn't say wot I wrote'.

apostrophe's where there shouldnt be, and none where there should.
Plural subjects with singular verbs and vice versa, which we strongly
objects to. Have turned to of. Lose to loose and vice versa.

Never mind the pronunciation of a router, that which determines a route
as against a router, that which routs wood or metal..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Member Bro, don ya Shart aboo ii, wees gonna fin yees Krook

I mean These australian words are also coming in you know.
Brian

Which bit is Australian? the bro bit is UK or NZ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

I'll see your "anythink" and raise you a "could of".

Also, is it just me or does the word "accidentally" not exist in the
English language? As far as I can tell I'm the only person who uses it
since absolutely everyone else uses the appaulingly clunky "by accident".

Along with other appallingly misspelled words.

...like 'appaulingly'

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/14 16:07, critcher wrote:
On 27/04/2014 11:16, Lee wrote:
On 27/04/2014 02:06, Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased
from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV
presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it right.

Slightly related, the one that annoys me more is the hard "G" on the
end, think I prefer the "K"

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth, is it a speech problem or more
likely a brain problem.

Its actually a sign of certain language speakers not native to England
having a real problem..I remember the hoots of laughter trying to get my
sisters french au pair to say 'squirrel' it always came out skirrel'.

The QU 'kw' sound is entirely absent from French.

And there was a really good 2 minutes on some Christmas science lecture
where two apparently identical words were spoken that no English person
managed to distinguish, yet two Hindi speakers immediately identified
one Hindi word and one utter nonsense.

the upward interrogative intonations that Australians use is an
Irishism, as Irish have the habit of adding 'is it not?' or 'to be
sure' at the end of a sentence as we add 'innit?' in order to emphasise
the sentence and it's a construction that has crossed from Gaelic
without the words it used to contain.

Likewise German uses a different order with subject object verb, that
can be carried over into English. Producing Yoda-spik. Of this tolerance
should not be practised.

(Note that the last sentence has neatly avoided all responsibility: It
is not a matter of what WE might do or not, it is a statement of an
inviolable principle. A clue to how the German mind has to work).

All these are amusing in their own way, BUT, they are not STANDARD
ENGLISH and its not good enough to say 'well let everyone have their own
standard' any more than, once the railways came along, it was good
enough for each station to set their clock to midday when the sun was at
its highest.

But there you go. Destroy standards and then impose different ones is a
good way to smash a culture from inside.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:49:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The QU 'kw' sound is entirely absent from French.

You think so...? Pourquoi?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I remember the hoots of laughter trying to get my
sisters french au pair to say 'squirrel' it always came out skirrel'.

Germans struggle with that too

http://youtu.be/ejuK8_12Fmg?t=12s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:07:13 +0100, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth

and 'fith' for fifth and 'Feb-you-erry' for February.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'kil-ommeters'!
Ugh!

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/14 10:59, Bob Eager wrote:

Councils can't afford to employ that many good people, and most of them
seem to hate their job and take it out on the 'customers'.

It's weird. When I worked in a Job Centre (a long time ago, 1991, no
better jobs) I was on the AO (Admin Officer) grade. Despite having a
degree, this grade actually required only 5 O-Levels.

There was one grade lower - AA (Admin Assistant). AAs were explicitly
not allowed to answer the phone - presumably in case they said something
silly.

Telephone manner was considered important and any letters issued that
were poorly written would have the writer hauled up for a "chat". Though
to be fair, most letters were from stock templates out of necessity, but
spelling names incorrectly was frowned upon.

And we were definitely NOT allowed to refer to the customers as
"claimants" as that was seen as derogatory and condescending.

Which is all very interesting as when I submitted a claim for two broken
car springs to East Sussex County Council (honking great holes
everywhere), the letter came back with the salutation "Dear Claimant,".

Which reinforces your point - councils are less cultured than the Job
Centre, which is saying something ;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-27, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 07:54:02 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Member Bro, don ya Shart aboo ii, wees gonna fin yees Krook

I mean These australian words are also coming in you know.
Brian

Australian does have the advantage of using only 2 vowels.

And only one intonation.

Strayanidol

(Australian Idol)