Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I despair (take 2 ...) OT

The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased from
the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and 'everythink' at
best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV presenters - including
the educated ones - can't get it right.

So, today, I'm driving along, and I see a large sign on the side of a
building that says (something too small to read) on the top line, then THINK
on the next line then (something else too small to read) and finally on the
bottom line HOME. So the intended impact statement is "THINK - HOME",
because it was a sort of home furnishings depot. And what did the two lines
of small text say when I got closer ? The first was "Every", and the other
was "for the".

So the total sign actually read "Every THINK for the HOME". How sad is it
that whoever came up with that little gem, really thought that they were
making a clever play on words ?

And why on earth didn't the sign producer quietly advise them that their
idea wasn't *quite* right. Because they were too thick themselves to
realise, maybe ?

Arfa