Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I despair (take 2 ...) OT

In article , News
scribeth thus
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

Coventry Airport. They consistently pronounced this as Cuvventry,
presumably after splitting the word down into 'coven' and 'try' to try
to work out how to say it. You would have thought as they were putting
it in a TV program, that the producers would have taken the trouble to
check ...

There is a famous video advert by MTH Electric Trains, an American
manufacturer trying to break into the UK market. The videos are
presented by the lovely Taylor (only Americans would call their daughter
Taylor),

Could be worse someone I know who's surname is Taylor has a "Jenny" for
a daughter;!...

who tells us about famous trains running from London to
Edinburgh, carefully pronounced Eden-berg. I kid you not. Presumably
someone, somewhere checks this stuff, FFS.

Funnily enough, their entry to UK and Europe has not been a huge
success. They just assumed that a standard US item, dressed up as
British or European, would be an instant hit. No market research.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

Could be worse someone I know who's surname is Taylor has a "Jenny" for
a daughter;!...

ROFL! I hope the poor daughter insists upon being addressed as Jennifer
:-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:17:14 PM UTC+1, Johny B Good wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:36:51 +0100, Ian Jackson

wrote:

In message , Huge

writes

On 2014-04-28, Davey wrote:

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:34:25 +0100

Nightjar wrote:

On 28/04/2014 02:57, Johny B Good wrote:

That just seems to be due to the inevitable erosion of English by

way of the more usual American entertainment media route rather

than by that git in the RP department.

Many 'Americanisms' are, in fact, simply continuations of English

that we have stopped using. Fall of the leaf, shortened to fall, for

autumn, for example, or the past particle of get; gotten. The

exchange also goes the other way, with words and phrases like snog,

cheeky and spot on making their way into American English. Purists

over there similarly complain about the derogation of their language.

Colin Bignell

In all my years living there (30+), I only met folks who didn't

understand simple English words, such as 'fortnight' and 'twice'. And as

for 'thrice' I might as well have been speaking Martian.

I hated their pronunciation of 'schedule' as 'skedule', and

'submariner' as 'sub-mareener', as well as 'consorshium' for

'consortium'.

One of their worst exports is 'gonna', in my view. Pure laziness.

The ones that drive me crazy are the New England pronounciation of "buoy"

as "boo-ey". And burglarise. Still, it's their language, let them

pronounce it how they like.

What is this 'pronounciation' of which I hope you don't normally speak?

Hopefully, just a simple misspelling of 'pronunciation' (spoken

exactly as its spelling suggests, with the stress on the second

syllable).

--

Regards, J B Good

Seen on a bunper sticker in California many years ago "Have a nice day but f**k off and have it somewhere else"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 09:47:33 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 02:23:25 +0100

"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:24:25 GMT

The Other John wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:07:13 +0100, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth

and 'fith' for fifth and 'Feb-you-erry' for February.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'kil-ommeters'!

Ugh!

Clearly pronounced as such on the BBC News today, I think in

reference to the Malaysian Airlines 'plane search.

--

Davey.

What do you feel is the correct pronunciation of the word ?

Arfa

Killo-METERS. As in Centi-METERS, not Centimitters.

Only in North America.

kilo-meters are 1000 meters eithe relectric or gas for DIY ;-)

the corect unit of measurement is the Metre .

a fousand of um would be a kilameetah :-)

--

Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Streater
scribeth thus
In article , tony sayer
wrote:

Could be worse someone I know who's surname is Taylor has a "Jenny" for
a daughter;!...

whose

*smack*

Soz guv!, got a 'ead full od snoz at the mo and am on a lot of dullin
dawnn drugs and the vouce sawnds a lot wurse!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 02:23:25 +0100
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:24:25 GMT
The Other John wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:07:13 +0100, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth

and 'fith' for fifth and 'Feb-you-erry' for February.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'kil-ommeters'!
Ugh!

Clearly pronounced as such on the BBC News today, I think in
reference to the Malaysian Airlines 'plane search.

--
Davey.

What do you feel is the correct pronunciation of the word ?

Arfa

Killo-METERS. As in Centi-METERS, not Centimitters.

Kill-lom-meters?..

Y/N?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 14:24, Davey wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 14:10:28 +0100
Johny B Good wrote:

What you should be concerned about (be _very_
concerned), and I'm surprised it's not already been mentioned, is the
inreasing worldwide spread of "Chinglish". Ponder that threat if you
will.
--

As in ...?

As in the instructions for a sink waste; "Penetrate the waste through
the aperture, add the nut and circumgyrate it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 28/04/14 15:54, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:48:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

I heard 'boo-ey' all over the country, unfortunately. And it is
'burglarize', surely?

The brilliant thing about "burglarize" is how they then backfilled the
language to justify it.

You're not burgled, you're "burglarized".
You don't catch a burglar, you catch a "burglarizer".
You're not locked up for burglary, but "burglarization".

Rather similar to someone I heard on the radio a few years ago saying that
he "compostionized" music.

I dislike utilise when use would do perfectly well.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes

Its actually a sign of certain language speakers not native to England
having a real problem..I remember the hoots of laughter trying to get my
sisters french au pair to say 'squirrel' it always came out skirrel'.

Try getting a Dutchman to pronounce "Ruislip"

Or an Englishman to pronounce "Cuijk" :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:49:24 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 27/04/14 16:07, critcher wrote:
On 27/04/2014 11:16, Lee wrote:
On 27/04/2014 02:06, Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost
erased from the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and
'everythink' at best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst.
Even TV presenters - including the educated ones - can't get it
right.

Slightly related, the one that annoys me more is the hard "G" on
the end, think I prefer the "K"

snip

All these are amusing in their own way, BUT, they are not STANDARD
ENGLISH and its not good enough to say 'well let everyone have their
own standard' any more than, once the railways came along, it was
good enough for each station to set their clock to midday when the
sun was at its highest.

But there you go. Destroy standards and then impose different ones is
a good way to smash a culture from inside.

Like this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...workplace.html

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johny B Good wrote:

What you should be concerned about (be _very_
concerned), and I'm surprised it's not already been mentioned, is
the inreasing worldwide spread of "Chinglish". Ponder that threat
if you will.
--

As in ...?

As in the instructions for a sink waste; "Penetrate the waste through
the aperture, add the nut and circumgyrate it."

Ouch!

You have too vivid an imagination. That's one of the less inscrutable
translation examples I've seen in a long time. I like the imaginative
use of the word "circumgyrate" though.

I guess the reason for such bad translations is possibly a lack of
idiomatic equivilents in the Chinese language as far as technical
instructions are concerned.

It's a defficiency akin to the reason given for the lack of chemical
research and progress in their pre-twentieth century history due to
perfecting the art of ceramics a thousand or so years back to such a
level of refinement that there was no incentive to develop the art of
glass blowing and hence no laboratory glassware to facilitate such
research beyond mixing Charcoal, Saltpetre and Sulphur in the right
proportions to make cracking good fireworks.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 11:16, Lee wrote:
[...]

"Where would we be if we didn't have any rules? France."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 09:58, charles wrote:

I stand corrected :-)

Then there is "Blyth" which most people can cope with, but change the first
letter and you get "Alyth" - a small town in Angus.

You've answered the obvious question, which is "Where the **** is Alyth?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Clive
George wrote:
On 02/05/2014 09:58, charles wrote:

I stand corrected :-)

Then there is "Blyth" which most people can cope with, but change the
first letter and you get "Alyth" - a small town in Angus.

You've answered the obvious question, which is "Where the **** is Alyth?"

I thought I'd better give that hint - the real test is to pronounce it.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive
George writes
On 02/05/2014 09:58, charles wrote:

I stand corrected :-)

Then there is "Blyth" which most people can cope with, but change the first
letter and you get "Alyth" - a small town in Angus.

You've answered the obvious question, which is "Where the **** is Alyth?"

I thought the obvious question should be "Are there any *non* small
towns in Angus?" :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 May 2014 22:46:57 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
On 01/05/2014 19:19, lid wrote:
In message ,
newshound writes

Its actually a sign of certain language speakers not native to
England having a real problem..I remember the hoots of laughter
trying to get my sisters french au pair to say 'squirrel' it always
came out skirrel'.

Try getting a Dutchman to pronounce "Ruislip"

Or an Englishman to pronounce "Cuijk" :-)

Or a northerner to pronounce Wrothem Road, Meopham.

Didn't you mean Wrotham?...

Try Goodnestone.

Or Cogenhoe or Rothwell ...

Arfa

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 11:57, tony sayer wrote:
Could be worse someone I know who's surname is Taylor has a "Jenny" for
a daughter;!...

I didn't get that (until I googled...) must have a clean mind.

But my kids were at school with Dean Martin and Kimberly Clark.

Andy