Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default I despair (take 2 ...) OT

In article , The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 01/05/2014 22:46, tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
On 01/05/2014 19:19, lid wrote:
In message ,
newshound writes

Its actually a sign of certain language speakers not native to
England having a real problem..I remember the hoots of laughter
trying to get my sisters french au pair to say 'squirrel' it always
came out skirrel'.

Try getting a Dutchman to pronounce "Ruislip"

Or an Englishman to pronounce "Cuijk" :-)

Or a northerner to pronounce Wrothem Road, Meopham.

Didn't you mean Wrotham?...

I stand corrected :-)

Then there is "Blyth" which most people can cope with, but change the first
letter and you get "Alyth" - a small town in Angus.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18