Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I despair (take 2 ...) OT

On 27/04/14 16:07, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth, is it a speech problem or more
likely a brain problem.

Heh - we had an Irish teacher at secondary school. When it was his turn
to dismiss the years from assembly it was most amusing and always got a
muted chuckle:

Foists;

Seconds;

Turds;

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 27/04/14 17:50, Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/04/14 10:59, Bob Eager wrote:

Councils can't afford to employ that many good people, and most of them
seem to hate their job and take it out on the 'customers'.

It's weird. When I worked in a Job Centre (a long time ago, 1991, no
better jobs) I was on the AO (Admin Officer) grade. Despite having a
degree, this grade actually required only 5 O-Levels.

Twenty years before (1970s) I remember it as 5 Os = Clerical Officer, 2
As Admin Officer, and I think a degree got you Executive Officer or some
such

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:24:25 GMT, The Other John
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:07:13 +0100, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth

and 'fith' for fifth and 'Feb-you-erry' for February.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'kil-ommeters'!
Ugh!

Yep! That's another "controversial" example where the stress has been
shifted from its natural second syllable position to an unnatural
first syllable position. It seems to me that the activities of that
git in the RP department may have been more extensive than I first
assumed.

I wonder what other words have had their RP perverted by this git?
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:07:13 +0100, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth

and 'fith' for fifth and 'Feb-you-erry' for February.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'kil-ommeters'!
Ugh!

Yep! That's another "controversial" example where the stress has been
shifted from its natural second syllable position to an unnatural
first syllable position. It seems to me that the activities of that
git in the RP department may have been more extensive than I first
assumed.

I wonder what other words have had their RP perverted by this git?

'Harrassed/harrassment', for one, and there are others. I've even heard
'laboratory' pronounced in this horrid American way.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:07:13 +0100, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth

and 'fith' for fifth and 'Feb-you-erry' for February.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'kil-ommeters'!
Ugh!

Yep! That's another "controversial" example where the stress has been
shifted from its natural second syllable position to an unnatural
first syllable position. It seems to me that the activities of that
git in the RP department may have been more extensive than I first
assumed.

I wonder what other words have had their RP perverted by this git?

'Harrassed/harrassment', for one, and there are others. I've even heard
'laboratory' pronounced in this horrid American way.

That just seems to be due to the inevitable erosion of English by way
of the more usual American entertainment media route rather than by
that git in the RP department.

The best suspect words are the ones that suddenly started to be
systematically mispronounced by BBC news readers almost overnight.
--
Regards, J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All these are amusing in their own way, BUT, they are not STANDARD
ENGLISH and its not good enough to say 'well let everyone have their own
standard' any more than, once the railways came along, it was good
enough for each station to set their clock to midday when the sun was at
its highest.

But there you go. Destroy standards and then impose different ones is a
good way to smash a culture from inside...

What we may be seeing is a modern equivalent of the great vowel shift of
the 15th and 16th century; pronunciation changing from generation to
generation. However, mass media, which itself helped create the idea of
a standard English, is accelerating the process today.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Johny B Good
writes

The best suspect words are the ones that suddenly started to be
systematically mispronounced by BBC news readers almost overnight.

I certainly noticed that, almost overnight, 'iz-LARM-ist' suddenly
became 'IZZ-luh-mist'.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2014 02:57, Johny B Good wrote:
That just seems to be due to the inevitable erosion of English by way
of the more usual American entertainment media route rather than by
that git in the RP department.

Many 'Americanisms' are, in fact, simply continuations of English that
we have stopped using. Fall of the leaf, shortened to fall, for autumn,
for example, or the past particle of get; gotten. The exchange also goes
the other way, with words and phrases like snog, cheeky and spot on
making their way into American English. Purists over there similarly
complain about the derogation of their language.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 07:49:46 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I also note that the American way of saying Aluminium is catching on
over here.

Well, the Americans spell it as Aluminum, so they say it correctly. The
metal was called Aluminum before it was changed later to Aluminium with
an I.
I think Aluminium is more logical, but whoever named it first does have
more claim to be correct.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:56:26 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 27/04/14 16:07, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth, is it a speech problem or more
likely a brain problem.

Heh - we had an Irish teacher at secondary school. When it was his turn
to dismiss the years from assembly it was most amusing and always got a
muted chuckle:

Foists;

Seconds;

Turds;

Numeracy teacher with Paddy, walking through the park: points to a tree with
3 big piles of dog-**** under it "Paddy, how many items are there?". Paddy
"Four". Teacher "Very good - how did you do that?". Paddy "Easy miss, tree
and tree turds".
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:30:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Sometimes it's a typo, but even so, which supervisor let it go out the
door without a second look?

Mate we are editing stuff on a daily basis sending back correct grammar
and spelling, only to have it returned because it 'doesn't say wot I wrote'.

apostrophe's where there shouldnt be, and none where there should.
Plural subjects with singular verbs and vice versa, which we strongly
objects to. Have turned to of. Lose to loose and vice versa.

Never mind the pronunciation of a router, that which determines a route
as against a router, that which routs wood or metal..

And the omission of hyphens, sometimes even reversing the meaning, e.g.
sugar free, from which I infer that I'm not being charged for the sugar and
then feel cheated when I find out that there's no sugar anyway.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:18:24 +0000 (UTC), MattyF wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 07:49:46 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I also note that the American way of saying Aluminium is catching on
over here.

Well, the Americans spell it as Aluminum, so they say it correctly. The
metal was called Aluminum before it was changed later to Aluminium with
an I.
I think Aluminium is more logical, but whoever named it first does have
more claim to be correct.

Unless the naming is incorrect, e.g. quadrophonic(?) when it should be
quadrosonic or tetraphonic.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:49:53 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Unless the naming is incorrect, e.g. quadrophonic(?) when it should be
quadrosonic or tetraphonic.

Don't forget 'television' is also a hybrid.

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:34:25 +0100
Nightjar wrote:

On 28/04/2014 02:57, Johny B Good wrote:
That just seems to be due to the inevitable erosion of English by
way of the more usual American entertainment media route rather
than by that git in the RP department.

Many 'Americanisms' are, in fact, simply continuations of English
that we have stopped using. Fall of the leaf, shortened to fall, for
autumn, for example, or the past particle of get; gotten. The
exchange also goes the other way, with words and phrases like snog,
cheeky and spot on making their way into American English. Purists
over there similarly complain about the derogation of their language.

Colin Bignell

In all my years living there (30+), I only met folks who didn't
understand simple English words, such as 'fortnight' and 'twice'. And as
for 'thrice' I might as well have been speaking Martian.
I hated their pronunciation of 'schedule' as 'skedule', and
'submariner' as 'sub-mareener', as well as 'consorshium' for
'consortium'.
One of their worst exports is 'gonna', in my view. Pure laziness.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
Nightjar wrote:

[...]

The ones that drive me crazy are the New England pronounciation of "buoy"
as "boo-ey". And burglarise. Still, it's their language, let them
pronounce it how they like.

What is this 'pronounciation' of which I hope you don't normally speak?
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

On 28/04/2014 02:57, Johny B Good wrote:
That just seems to be due to the inevitable erosion of English
by way of the more usual American entertainment media route
rather than by that git in the RP department.

[...]

I heard 'boo-ey' all over the country, unfortunately. And it is
'burglarize', surely? They can't seem to put an 's' on that spot.
I shivered the day I heard Johnny Carson use the word 'conceptualize',
but I have heard it here recently, more's the pity.
We always said that we wouldn't mind them using their pronunciation if
only they would stop calling it 'English'. 'American' or
'American English' would be far better names, but they insisted on
calling it 'English', even to the point of dropping a very intelligent
English immigrant child a class year because she didn't speak it
correctly. One very well-spoken English adult we knew failed her North
Carolina Driving Test because she didn't speak 'properly'.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 April 2014 02:06:07 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
The words 'anything and 'everything' seem to have been almost erased from

the English language, to be replaced by 'anythink' and 'everythink' at

best, and 'anyfink' and 'everyfink' at worst. Even TV presenters - including

the educated ones - can't get it right.

So, today, I'm driving along, and I see a large sign on the side of a

building that says (something too small to read) on the top line, then THINK

on the next line then (something else too small to read) and finally on the

bottom line HOME. So the intended impact statement is "THINK - HOME",

because it was a sort of home furnishings depot. And what did the two lines

of small text say when I got closer ? The first was "Every", and the other

was "for the".

So the total sign actually read "Every THINK for the HOME". How sad is it

that whoever came up with that little gem, really thought that they were

making a clever play on words ?

And why on earth didn't the sign producer quietly advise them that their

idea wasn't *quite* right. Because they were too thick themselves to

realise, maybe ?

Or maybe because it works better because more people notice the NOTICE.
Years ago when I worked in another student lab I'd delebratly put notices up either upside down, or ones that made little sense and you know what there were queues of students reading them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 April 2014 07:49:46 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

If you really want to be annoyed about the way people speak though, note
that we do seem to have a completely new accent in the UK. Bits of American
twang, some Carabean, some Asian, throw in some eastern European to taste
and one gets some almost uninteligable spoken word.

archery seems to now be Archewee, but There is now Ther, ie no actual end,
so maybe we are just seeing the start of a World English of some sort.

makes you wonder how English came about doesn;t it ;-)

A sort of mix of latin, german, french, spanish etc...

Not many of us English people left that still speak proper English like wot shakespeare did :-D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:48:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

I heard 'boo-ey' all over the country, unfortunately. And it is
'burglarize', surely?

The brilliant thing about "burglarize" is how they then backfilled the
language to justify it.

You're not burgled, you're "burglarized".
You don't catch a burglar, you catch a "burglarizer".
You're not locked up for burglary, but "burglarization".

Rather similar to someone I heard on the radio a few years ago saying that
he "compostionized" music.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:32:53 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Johny B Good
writes

The best suspect words are the ones that suddenly started to be
systematically mispronounced by BBC news readers almost overnight.

I certainly noticed that, almost overnight, 'iz-LARM-ist' suddenly
became 'IZZ-luh-mist'.

and before that, it was "Islamic" ....

Not really. 'Islamic' is still used, but simply refers to the practice
of Islam, and things pertaining to it. 'Islamist' refers more to
extremism and fundamentalism.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes

I still can't see how "solder" becomes "sodder" ...

You 'shood' be able to work that out for yourself!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2014 15:16, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 27 April 2014 07:49:46 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

If you really want to be annoyed about the way people speak though, note
that we do seem to have a completely new accent in the UK. Bits of American
twang, some Carabean, some Asian, throw in some eastern European to taste
and one gets some almost uninteligable spoken word.

archery seems to now be Archewee, but There is now Ther, ie no actual end,
so maybe we are just seeing the start of a World English of some sort.

makes you wonder how English came about doesn;t it ;-)

A sort of mix of latin, german, french, spanish etc...

Not many of us English people left that still speak proper English like wot shakespeare did :-D

Shouldn't that be Geoffrey Chaucer?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/14 19:58, Davey wrote:
On 28 Apr 2014 16:53:46 GMT

On 2014-04-28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:48:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

I heard 'boo-ey' all over the country, unfortunately. And it is
'burglarize', surely?

The brilliant thing about "burglarize" is how they then backfilled
the language to justify it.

You're not burgled, you're "burglarized".
You don't catch a burglar, you catch a "burglarizer".
You're not locked up for burglary, but "burglarization".

AAeeeiii!!!!

At its most fundamental, even 'Transportation', as in 'Department of',
is a symptom of this. And I hear that over here now, too.

"would sir require transportating to his destination?"

"Take to the department of transportatingation"

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:48:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

I heard 'boo-ey' all over the country, unfortunately. And it is
'burglarize', surely?

The brilliant thing about "burglarize" is how they then backfilled
the language to justify it.

You're not burgled, you're "burglarized".
You don't catch a burglar, you catch a "burglarizer".
You're not locked up for burglary, but "burglarization".

AAeeeiii!!!!

At its most fundamental, even 'Transportation', as in 'Department of',
is a symptom of this. And I hear that over here now, too.

"would sir require transportating to his destination?"

"Take to the department of transportatingation"

One of the courier companies in the UK (I forget which) has a 'Sortation
Center'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:48:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

I heard 'boo-ey' all over the country, unfortunately. And it is
'burglarize', surely?

The brilliant thing about "burglarize" is how they then backfilled
the language to justify it.

You're not burgled, you're "burglarized".
You don't catch a burglar, you catch a "burglarizer".
You're not locked up for burglary, but "burglarization".

AAeeeiii!!!!

At its most fundamental, even 'Transportation', as in 'Department of',
is a symptom of this. And I hear that over here now, too.

"would sir require transportating to his destination?"

"Take to the department of transportatingation"

Sorry, a 'Sortation Facility'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:48:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

I heard 'boo-ey' all over the country, unfortunately. And it is
'burglarize', surely?

The brilliant thing about "burglarize" is how they then
backfilled the language to justify it.

You're not burgled, you're "burglarized".
You don't catch a burglar, you catch a "burglarizer".
You're not locked up for burglary, but "burglarization".

AAeeeiii!!!!

At its most fundamental, even 'Transportation', as in 'Department
of', is a symptom of this. And I hear that over here now, too.

"would sir require transportating to his destination?"

"Take to the department of transportatingation"

Sorry, a 'Sortation Facility'.

Yes, that sounds more likely. Yuck.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:48:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

I heard 'boo-ey' all over the country, unfortunately. And it is
'burglarize', surely?

The brilliant thing about "burglarize" is how they then
backfilled the language to justify it.

You're not burgled, you're "burglarized".
You don't catch a burglar, you catch a "burglarizer".
You're not locked up for burglary, but "burglarization".

AAeeeiii!!!!

At its most fundamental, even 'Transportation', as in 'Department
of', is a symptom of this. And I hear that over here now, too.

"would sir require transportating to his destination?"

"Take to the department of transportatingation"

Sorry, a 'Sortation Facility'.

Another horror was that everything was 'an Experience', as in: "How was
your shopping Experience today?".
"Have a Nice Day".
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

[...]

I've always had a problem with how they manage to make buoy into 'booie',
but don't pronounce buoyancy as 'booieancy' ... Very strange ...

When my daughter was younger, she started coming home from school talking
about the kids being face-ty to one another. I didn't understand what this
word was, and asked her to explain. She said that she didn't really know,
but all the big kids used the word, and she'd picked it up from them. So I
asked her to spell it for me.

Feisty ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another horror was that everything was 'an Experience', as in: "How was
your shopping Experience today?".
"Have a Nice Day".
--
Davey.

I actually don't have a problem with 'Have a nice day' and use it all the
time, particularly on emails. I find that people seem to appreciate the
sentiment, and have a tendency to be quick at replying, and more than
usually helpful. Try it ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:07:13 +0100, critcher wrote:

wot abaht "sikth" instead of sixth

and 'fith' for fifth and 'Feb-you-erry' for February.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'kil-ommeters'!
Ugh!

In Australia the prime minister,Gough Whitlam, said we should pronounce
it Klometer.
Why should we do that with this word when none of the other variations
of metre don't.(or any other metric measurements)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

[...]

Maybe they should say Burgular as some british and Australians do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Well how about flammable and inflammable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

I still can't see how "solder" becomes "sodder" ...

Or "asked" becomes "arksed" which seems to happen among the yoofs on
this side of the pond too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 07:19, harryagain wrote:
Well how about flammable and inflammable?

Both have been around for quite a while; inflammable being the older,
with its roots in Latin. However, some years ago, flammable became the
officially preferred option, as there had been a few accidents where
people had thought the prefix -in meant not.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, F
Murtz writes

wrote:

[...]

Only certain extremely porsh people say 'goff'. Real goffers say 'golf'.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 08:03:36 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

I still can't see how "solder" becomes "sodder" ...

Or "asked" becomes "arksed" which seems to happen among the yoofs on
this side of the pond too.

ek-setera.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nah it's Mit-si-bushi that gets me. Even Mike Brewer mispronounces it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 02:21, Arfa Daily wrote:

Another horror was that everything was 'an Experience', as in: "How was
your shopping Experience today?".
"Have a Nice Day".
--
Davey.

I actually don't have a problem with 'Have a nice day' and use it all
the time, particularly on emails. I find that people seem to appreciate
the sentiment, and have a tendency to be quick at replying, and more
than usually helpful. Try it ... :-)

Arfa

I notice Aldi checkout staff telling me to have a nice day. Strange
thing is, I think they mean it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

I still can't see how "solder" becomes "sodder" ...

Or "asked" becomes "arksed" which seems to happen among the yoofs on
this side of the pond too.

ek-setera.

Don't get me started on that one!