Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding mask - necessary?

On 07/12/2013 21:39, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:34:20 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Saturday 07 December 2013 18:22 Mentalguy2k8 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:44:06 -0000, Rick Hughes
wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc
while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true.

Well there's your answer - don't bother with a mask.

I caught a 1 second flash from a PCB exposure box (with no sodding
interlock!) and it diminished the colour perception in one eye for some
months.

How powerful are those things?

Mine's got a 15 watt UVB tube in it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 20:43:24 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 07/12/2013 21:19, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:08:59 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

On 07/12/2013 17:06, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Why not explain why and how quickly it happens instead of childish name
calling? As I understand it, it's the UV light that's the problem. So
why is it any worse than looking at the sun? Why won't you feel sunburn
on your face first like you do on a hot summer's day? And how much
welding do you have to do before it happens? Remember, I said "small
arc welder for a small job".

It takes between one and ten seconds of exposure to arc light depending
on how far away from the arc you are and how powerful it is. One second
for a small arc weld at arm's length, ten for the same arc at the other
end of a large workshop. Less than a second if you're holding the
business end of the welder in your hand at the end of a bent arm and are
looking closely at the workpiece when the arc strikes. You won't feel it
for up to five minutes, by which time it's too late.

I've definitely exceeded 10 seconds watching someone else at about 2
metres on a few occasions, with no effect.

They're your eyes, do as you wish. Just don't expect us to be grateful
for picking up the tab for your stupidity via the NHS.

I was just pointing out they aren't as sensitive as made out in here. Perhaps like with sunburn we all have differnt levels of tolerance.

--
(( _______
_______ /\O O\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 20:44:57 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 07/12/2013 21:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:09:36 -0000, John Williamson

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Is this **** for real?

Unfortunately, he seems to be.

It was a fair question about length of time required for damage. For
example handling asbestos for 5 minutes is not the same as handling it
for a living.

True, but a single exposure to asbestos dust has been blamed for causing
mesothelioma many years later.

Blamed for does not necessarily equal did.

--
Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true.

Well there's your answer - don't bother with a mask.

I caught a 1 second flash from a PCB exposure box (with no sodding
interlock!) and it diminished the colour perception in one eye for some
months.

How powerful are those things?

Mine's got a 15 watt UVB tube in it.

My sunbed has ten 100W UV tubes, and that certainly doesn't do as you describe.

--
Here are some actual maintenance complaints/problems, generally known as squawks, recently submitted by QANTAS Pilots to maintenance engineers. After attending to the squawks, maintenance crews are required to log the details of the action taken to solve the pilots' squawks.

Problem - Left inside main tyre almost needs replacement.
Solution - Almost replaced left inside main tyre.

Problem - Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
Solution - Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

Problem - No. 2 propeller seeping prop fluid.
Solution - No. 2 propeller seepage normal. Nos. 1, 3 and 4 propellers lack normal seepage.

Problem - Something loose in cockpit.
Solution - Something tightened in cockpit.

Problem - Dead bugs on windshield.
Solution - Live bugs on backorder.

Problem - Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-fpm descent.
Solution - Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Problem - Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
Solution - Evidence removed.

Problem - DME volume unbelievably loud.
Solution - Volume set to more believable level.

Problem - Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
Solution - That's what they are there for!

Problem - IFF inoperative.
Solution - IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

Problem - Suspected crack in windscreen.
Solution - Suspect you're right.

Problem - Number 3 engine missing.
Solution - Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Problem - Aircraft handles funny.
Solution - Aircraft warned to "Straighten up, Fly Right, and Be Serious."

Problem - Target radar hums.
Solution - Reprogrammed target radar with words.

Problem - Mouse in cockpit.
Solution - Cat installed.

Defect: Seat cushion in 13F smells rotten.
Action: Fresh seat cushion on order.

Defect: Turn & slip indicator ball stuck in center during turns.
Action: Congratulations. You just made your first coordinated turn!

Defect: Whining sound heard on engine shutdown.
Action: Pilot removed from aircraft.

Defect: Pilot's clock inoperative.
Action: Wound clock.

Defect: Autopilot tends to drop a wing when fuel imbalance reaches 500 pounds.
Action: Flight manual limits maximum fuel imbalance to 300 pounds.

Defect: #2 ADF needle runs wild.
Action: Caught and tamed #2 ADF needle.

Defect: Unfamiliar noise coming from #2 engine.
Action: Engine run for four hours. Noise now familiar.

Defect: Noise coming from #2 engine. Sounds like man with little hammer.
Action: Took little hammer away from man in #2 engine.

Defect: Whining noise coming from #2 engine compartment.
Action: Returned little hammer to man in #2 engine.

Defect: Flight attendant cold at altitude.
Action: Ground checks OK.

Defect: 3 roaches in cabin.
Action: 1 roach killed, 1 wounded, 1 got away.

Defect: Weather radar went ape!
Action: Opened radar, let out ape, cleaned up mess!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 20:35:34 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

On 07/12/2013 22:03, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:52:43 -0000, bm wrote:
Course, where there's no sense
there's no feeling. Try it without a mask and with a BFO welder.

Google cannot find BFO welder. Are those letters correct?

Yes. HTH. There is a clearly defined meaning in this context.

Ahhhh.... big **** off?

Yes

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/13 20:44, John Williamson wrote:
On 07/12/2013 21:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:09:36 -0000, John Williamson

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Is this **** for real?

Unfortunately, he seems to be.

It was a fair question about length of time required for damage. For
example handling asbestos for 5 minutes is not the same as handling it
for a living.

True, but a single exposure to asbestos dust has been blamed for causing
mesothelioma many years later.

only cos the lawyers wanted to make some dosh.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How big is 50A @ 3.2kW?

--
Mr Churchill is reputed to have once said
"It will be long, it will be hard, and there'll be no withdrawal"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Correction, 50V @ 3.2kW.

--
"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 17:06, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
Why won't you feel sunburn on your face first like you do on a hot
summer's day?

You don't feel sunburn until it's too late. You can't feel the UV on
your face, which is why people can get badly burned when out for a walk
on a windy day - they don't feel the heat.

Go ahead and don't protect yourself if you don't value your eyesight.
And next time your car is being fixed - don't watch.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 20:35:34 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Ahhhh.... big **** off?

Yes

How big is 50A @ 3.2kW?

Correction, 50V @ 3.2kW.

12 inches

Does that mean "rather large"? I think I'll try turning it down, it keeps melting the workpiece.

--
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 22:33:07 -0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 07/12/2013 17:06, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
Why won't you feel sunburn on your face first like you do on a hot
summer's day?

You don't feel sunburn until it's too late. You can't feel the UV on
your face, which is why people can get badly burned when out for a walk
on a windy day - they don't feel the heat.

Go ahead and don't protect yourself if you don't value your eyesight.
And next time your car is being fixed - don't watch.

With the sun, you DO know when you're getting burnt. After all we've been living with the sun for millions of years. I don't use suncream, I simply stay out until I begin going red, then go in the shade.

--
What does a Polish woman do after she sucks a cock?
Spits out the feathers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 22:34, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 22:29:11 -0000, Fredxxx wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:00 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really
necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Ah. That explains why you can't see the difference between various
types
of lamps.

I have perfect eyesight according to doctors.

Not for much longer if you continue to look directly at an arc.

Why don't you ask the same doctor what he thinks of you not wearing any
mask while arc welding?

I wouldn't for a long time, I was just wondering whether short term
exposure was bad.

Certainly, everything is relative.

Damage is pretty quick, with progressive exposure causing less and less
damage, where finally there are no more rods and cones to destroy.

Once a dead cell, always a dead cell.

Anyone versed in arc welding, or ophthalmology will tell you it is wise
to wear appropriate eye protection and that you are pretty stupid if you
ignore such advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Macular degeneration may not be obvious until it becomes noticeable.
Then it is too late.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The skin is designed to cope with extended periods of sunlight. You
seem to forget that our outer skin is effectively composed from dead
cells. I would hope the retina has few dead cells. Looking at light
containing UV will help kill a few more.

Why do you think your eyes are less sensitive to damage than others?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

We've been looking at the sun for millions of years.

Why do you think your eyes are less sensitive to damage than others?

Because of people saying they got sore eyes after a small exposure, and I haven't.

--
I limit my Political Correctness to voting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 20:38, John Williamson wrote:
On 08/12/2013 18:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:15:51 -0000, Martin Brown
But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders
flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to
your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.

The gloves seem a bit over the top.

Not after the first time you see a large lump of white hot metal
spattering off the workpiece.... For a similar reason, welders tend to
wear boots that can be removed very quickly indeed.

I ruined a good pair of trainers that way once ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 07/12/2013 22:34, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 22:29:11 -0000, Fredxxx wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:00 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
[...]

Yebut, he IS pretty stupid. Let him get on with it. I'm surprised he gets
any replies other than ones taking the ****.
He has a degree you know? No, really.
LMFAO

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 23:21:41 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 08/12/2013 20:38, John Williamson wrote:
On 08/12/2013 18:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:15:51 -0000, Martin Brown
But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders
flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to
your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.

The gloves seem a bit over the top.

Not after the first time you see a large lump of white hot metal
spattering off the workpiece.... For a similar reason, welders tend to
wear boots that can be removed very quickly indeed.

I ruined a good pair of trainers that way once ;-)

Mine were 8 quid in Asda so nevermind.

--
Never dive into deep concrete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I think for myself. I require a reason not to do something not just a command.

--
Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Clearly not very hard with no concern for your eyes.

I require a reason not to do something not just a
command.

Smart people learn best by other's mistakes. Clearly you are not smart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

There are two mechanisms here. First is UV damage to the cornea or
conjunctiva, the other is damage to the retina.

The first causes irritation which can be temprary, though may well
accelerate the formation of cataracts. The latter is more sinister and
not obvious. If you find looking at a bright light painless then your
sight is more susceptible to damage than normal folk.

How old are you, as you're acting like a spotty teenager?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
[...]

Read again, I need a reason.

--
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'd guess he's prolly pregnant, due to give birth to a parrot or two.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Now who's acting like a spotty teenager?

--
To truly love another, you must first love yourself. And it wouldn't kill you to wash your hands in between either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Looking at an arc will cause damage to the eyes. There, that's a reason
not to look.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message

Yebut, he IS pretty stupid. Let him get on with it. I'm surprised he
gets
any replies other than ones taking the ****.
He has a degree you know? No, really.
LMFAO

I think for myself.

Clearly not very hard with no concern for your eyes.

I require a reason not to do something not just a
command.

Smart people learn best by other's mistakes. Clearly you are not smart.

Read again, I need a reason.

Looking at an arc will cause damage to the eyes. There, that's a reason
not to look.

Not good enough. Someone else offered a better explanation explaining how it was possible.

--
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General MacArthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:46:26 PM UTC, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:40 -0000, Apellation Controlee wrote:

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:33:56 -0000, "Muddymike"

wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news

For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The

spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand

held shield will do.

Yurp, weld flash is no joke.

If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then? If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything happens to your eyes.

Your brain prevents your eyes looking at the sun.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8210006AAxJEpp

there's a discussion where someone talks abotu damage in 3 minutes...

"My buddy got arc eye from being a dumbass baxk when we was teenagers. He was trying to weld an exhaust pipe on his car using drive on ramps to lift car. Could'nt get car high enough where he could fit under it with helmet on so he just welded the joint bare faced (about 3 min straight welding)

"That night he had to be took to the ER, couldn't see at all. Had some kind of cream goo he had to put in his eyes and wear eye patches for 2 weeks. He was fine after that but you better believe he wears a welding mask any time he is even around a welding arc now. "

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news

For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The

spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand

held shield will do.

Yurp, weld flash is no joke.

If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then? If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything happens to your eyes.

Your brain prevents your eyes looking at the sun.

At the risk of childish replies, mine doesn't. Can't you look at the sun? It's not that bright. What do you do when you're driving with very low sun? And I mean below the visor.

--
If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 18:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:15:51 -0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 07/12/2013 17:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

wrote:

Yurp, weld flash is no joke.

If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then?
If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything
happens to your eyes.

Yes!

but DAMHIKT

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem? You stop welding when
your face is red.

For anyone sensible the answer is yes you always need a welding mask for
protection from the arcs hard UV component and any flux splatter.

But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders
flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to
your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.

The gloves seem a bit over the top.

I wear mask, gloves and even cover my head with a cotton hoodie. It
really hurts when a speck of red-hot metal lands on a bald head.

It's not just about avoiding pain. Getting close to the weld (for a good
view) and keeping my welding hand steady is easier when I know I'm fully
protected, so I produce better welds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Any advice on how not to melt the workpiece? And how to stop the welds being brittle? Is using very old welding rods a bad idea?

--
A conscience just costs you money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2013 16:02, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Any advice on how not to melt the workpiece?

Lower current, smaller rod, more time between welds to allow more cooling.

And how to stop the welds
being brittle?

Good penetration, and not incorporating slag into the weld. Use an
appropriate rod for the material being welded. Observe preheat and cool
down recommendations for the material.

Is using very old welding rods a bad idea?

As long as they are dry they will be fine. Damp ones tend to stick more
and are harder to strike. You can dry them in an oven if that is the case.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:16:33 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 09/12/2013 16:02, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Any advice on how not to melt the workpiece?

Lower current, smaller rod, more time between welds to allow more cooling.

The welder I've borrowed is very adjustable, but lower current makes the rod stick to the workpiece. The higher current makes the arc work better. I guess I have to do quicker goes.

And how to stop the welds
being brittle?

Good penetration,

What do you mean by that?

and not incorporating slag into the weld. Use an
appropriate rod for the material being welded. Observe preheat and cool
down recommendations for the material.

I've just ordered some mild steel rods, and I think the workpiece is also steel, although some is galvanised. It's the non galvanised stuff it's not sticking to though, and mainly the welding material is breaking in the middle, but sticking to both pieces. The rods I'm using at the moment I've no idea what they are, they're what my neighbour had left over from a year ago welding vans.

Is using very old welding rods a bad idea?

As long as they are dry they will be fine. Damp ones tend to stick more
and are harder to strike. You can dry them in an oven if that is the case.

They've been sat in his garage for a year. If I run them quickly across a bit of the workpiece they strike ok. Perhaps that warms them up.

--
If you believe in telepathy, raise my hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/12/2013 16:02, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Any advice on how not to melt the workpiece?

Lower current, smaller rod, more time between welds to allow more
cooling.

The welder I've borrowed is very adjustable, but lower current makes the
rod stick to the workpiece. The higher current makes the arc work
better. I guess I have to do quicker goes.

That might just be an effect of using damp rods.

And how to stop the welds
being brittle?

Good penetration,

What do you mean by that?

The weld needs to fuse properly into the existing metal. A combination
of adequate current and rod size for the material in question good
technique. You want the filler metal to fuse with the existing, not just
stick to it.

and not incorporating slag into the weld. Use an
appropriate rod for the material being welded. Observe preheat and cool
down recommendations for the material.

I've just ordered some mild steel rods, and I think the workpiece is
also steel, although some is galvanised. It's the non galvanised stuff

Make sure you grind off all the galvanisation where you are welding.
Where a full respirator as well if welding galvanised steel.

it's not sticking to though, and mainly the welding material is breaking
in the middle, but sticking to both pieces. The rods I'm using at the
moment I've no idea what they are, they're what my neighbour had left
over from a year ago welding vans.

Watch this, a demo using a cheap stick welder for general purpose
fabrication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5GC1zOatA

Is using very old welding rods a bad idea?

As long as they are dry they will be fine. Damp ones tend to stick more
and are harder to strike. You can dry them in an oven if that is the
case.

They've been sat in his garage for a year. If I run them quickly across
a bit of the workpiece they strike ok. Perhaps that warms them up.

Not enough... stick em on a tray in a moderate hot oven for 40 mins.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/12/2013 16:02, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Any advice on how not to melt the workpiece?

Lower current, smaller rod, more time between welds to allow more
cooling.

The welder I've borrowed is very adjustable, but lower current makes the
rod stick to the workpiece. The higher current makes the arc work
better. I guess I have to do quicker goes.

That might just be an effect of using damp rods.

They've been indoors for 24 hours and still do it.

And how to stop the welds
being brittle?

Good penetration,

What do you mean by that?

The weld needs to fuse properly into the existing metal. A combination
of adequate current and rod size for the material in question good
technique. You want the filler metal to fuse with the existing, not just
stick to it.

It does a fairly good job of that, it's the welding material itself that is rather brittle as soon as a slight force is applied to the joint.

and not incorporating slag into the weld. Use an
appropriate rod for the material being welded. Observe preheat and cool
down recommendations for the material.

I've just ordered some mild steel rods, and I think the workpiece is
also steel, although some is galvanised. It's the non galvanised stuff

Make sure you grind off all the galvanisation where you are welding.
Where a full respirator as well if welding galvanised steel.

it's not sticking to though, and mainly the welding material is breaking
in the middle, but sticking to both pieces. The rods I'm using at the
moment I've no idea what they are, they're what my neighbour had left
over from a year ago welding vans.

Watch this, a demo using a cheap stick welder for general purpose
fabrication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5GC1zOatA

I see he's using 150 amps. Mine is only 60 amps.

--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/12/2013 16:02, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Any advice on how not to melt the workpiece?

Lower current, smaller rod, more time between welds to allow more
cooling.

The welder I've borrowed is very adjustable, but lower current makes the
rod stick to the workpiece. The higher current makes the arc work
better. I guess I have to do quicker goes.

That might just be an effect of using damp rods.

They've been indoors for 24 hours and still do it.

Oven, for 40 mins! You need to drive the absorbed water out of the flux
coating, not just dry them off.

Watch this, a demo using a cheap stick welder for general purpose
fabrication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5GC1zOatA

I see he's using 150 amps. Mine is only 60 amps.

What thickness of metal are you welding? What sized rod?

Even most basic welders will do more than 60A (although with a poor duty
cycle)

For thicker material and limited current you will need well bevelled
edges, nicely cleaned steel, and possibly a root gap as well.

So if butt jointing two parts, don't slap them end to end and then weld
over the join, but bevel both ends at 45 degrees then build up multiple
passes so you are welding the full thickness of the metal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/12/2013 16:02, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Lower current, smaller rod, more time between welds to allow more
cooling.

The welder I've borrowed is very adjustable, but lower current makes the
rod stick to the workpiece. The higher current makes the arc work
better. I guess I have to do quicker goes.

That might just be an effect of using damp rods.

They've been indoors for 24 hours and still do it.

Oven, for 40 mins! You need to drive the absorbed water out of the flux
coating, not just dry them off.

I'll give that a go.

Watch this, a demo using a cheap stick welder for general purpose
fabrication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5GC1zOatA

I see he's using 150 amps. Mine is only 60 amps.

What thickness of metal are you welding? What sized rod?

Same rods as him. Steel tubes, twice the thickness of a water pipe. And some grids of wire mesh which are about 4mm thick.

Even most basic welders will do more than 60A (although with a poor duty
cycle)

This says 3.2kW and it gives out about 50 volts AC open circuit when on full power.

For thicker material and limited current you will need well bevelled
edges, nicely cleaned steel, and possibly a root gap as well.

So if butt jointing two parts, don't slap them end to end and then weld
over the join, but bevel both ends at 45 degrees then build up multiple
passes so you are welding the full thickness of the metal.

I'll try. Trouble is I'm welding scrap bits together that don't always touch nicely. It must be possible, sculptors do it.

--
What do you call an Amish man with his arm up a horse's ass?
A mechanic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

wrote:

[...]

I admire your perseverance, John
The lootenant prolly has bugger-all to weld but thought it'd make a good
troll.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:54:28 -0000, bm wrote:

o.uk...

I'm making a parrot cage you ****wit.

--
A juggler, driving to his next performance, is stopped by the police. "What are these matches and lighter fluid doing in your car?" asks the cop.
"I'm a juggler and I juggle flaming torches in my act."