Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gefreiter Krueger Gefreiter Krueger is offline

Default Welding mask - necessary?

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:54:28 -0000, bm wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/12/2013 22:36, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:18:47 -0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 09/12/2013 16:22, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:16:33 -0000, John Rumm
wrote:

The welder I've borrowed is very adjustable, but lower current makes
the
rod stick to the workpiece. The higher current makes the arc work
better. I guess I have to do quicker goes.

That might just be an effect of using damp rods.

They've been indoors for 24 hours and still do it.

Oven, for 40 mins! You need to drive the absorbed water out of the flux
coating, not just dry them off.

Watch this, a demo using a cheap stick welder for general purpose
fabrication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5GC1zOatA

I see he's using 150 amps. Mine is only 60 amps.

What thickness of metal are you welding? What sized rod?

Even most basic welders will do more than 60A (although with a poor duty
cycle)

For thicker material and limited current you will need well bevelled
edges, nicely cleaned steel, and possibly a root gap as well.

So if butt jointing two parts, don't slap them end to end and then weld
over the join, but bevel both ends at 45 degrees then build up multiple
passes so you are welding the full thickness of the metal.

I admire your perseverance, John
The lootenant prolly has bugger-all to weld but thought it'd make a good
troll.

I'm making a parrot cage you ****wit.

--
A juggler, driving to his next performance, is stopped by the police. "What are these matches and lighter fluid doing in your car?" asks the cop.
"I'm a juggler and I juggle flaming torches in my act."