Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding mask - necessary?

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 18:30:25 -0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:44:06 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

but I suspect you would be much closer if you wer doing the welding
yourself.

Probably twice as close.

--
Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 18:31:23 -0000, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true.

Well there's your answer - don't bother with a mask.

I'm welding for more than a few seconds.

It'll be fine.

Oh do grow up.

--
Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 18:59:48 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true.

Well there's your answer - don't bother with a mask.

Only a dip**** like the Loo-tenant would advise not using a mask. He
obviously imagines it's the brightness of the spark that's important,
rather than the amount of UV.

I wasn't advising, I was asking.

--
A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

There is a vast difference from watching someone weld from a few feet
away, to staring directly into the weld pool from close range.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

There is a vast difference from watching someone weld from a few feet
away, to staring directly into the weld pool from close range.

I'd say I was only twice the distance.

--
I have the world's oldest typewriter - it prints in pencil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman scribbled...

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Is this **** for real?

He's been a ****witted trolling nym-shifting **** for years. Watch his
post count increase the longer he stays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

No they're not necessary...I don't even know why they bother making them
really.

And take no notice of all the nasty people on here who tell you otherwise,
they just want you to look foolish, using a welding mask while welding, i've
never heard of such a thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:11:45 -0000, wrote:

The Medway Handyman scribbled...

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Is this **** for real?

He's been a ****witted trolling nym-shifting **** for years. Watch his
post count increase the longer he stays.

Most posts are replying to childish idiots like you who can't answer a simple question. I see one person did answer properly.

--
An optimist thinks this is the best possible world.
A pessimist fears this is true.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:45:36 -0000, Phil L wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

No they're not necessary...I don't even know why they bother making them
really.

And take no notice of all the nasty people on here who tell you otherwise,
they just want you to look foolish, using a welding mask while welding, i've
never heard of such a thing.

You may have noticed I was asking about one small job as opposed to making a living out of it.

--
If you spin oriental folk till they are dizzy, do they become disoriented?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

No they're not necessary...I don't even know why they bother making them
really.

And take no notice of all the nasty people on here who tell you otherwise,
they just want you to look foolish, using a welding mask while welding, i've
never heard of such a thing.

Seems to be a lot of Outlook Express users double posting with Virgin Media recently.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the **** happened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 17:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:16:04 -0000, The Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:46:26 +0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then?
If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything
happens to your eyes.

Yes!

but DAMHIKT

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem? You stop welding when
your face is red.

The lens in youe eye focuses the image of the arc onto a small portion
of your retina, which is more easily damaged than your skin.
Concentrated light plus more sensitivity equals more

Of course, you *could* try the experiment on yourself, then buy a screen
reader like Mr. Gaff's so you could post the results....

Arc eye is *not* fun. I know this from personal experience, and I only
caught a quick accidental glimpse of a welder working some yards away

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 16:47, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:33:56 -0000, Muddymike
wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand
held shield will do.

The trouble is you can't see the workpiece through it very easily. I'm
talking about a single one off small job here, not welding all day.

So rent one of the automatically dimming ones for a few quid. You can
see through them clearly until the instant the arc starts, at which
point they become close to opaque,leaving you enough vision to see the
arc clearly without eye damage.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really
necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

There is a vast difference from watching someone weld from a few feet
away, to staring directly into the weld pool from close range.

I'd say I was only twice the distance.

So at welding distance you'll get four times the exposure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

There is a vast difference from watching someone weld from a few feet
away, to staring directly into the weld pool from close range.

I'd say I was only twice the distance.

So at welding distance you'll get four times the exposure.

Yes. Welding for a few minutes would be like watching a welder for 12 minutes. Not vastly different.

--
In the Nintendo GameCube instruction manual:
"Do not attempt to stick head inside deck, which may result in injury"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 17:06, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Why not explain why and how quickly it happens instead of childish name
calling? As I understand it, it's the UV light that's the problem. So
why is it any worse than looking at the sun? Why won't you feel sunburn
on your face first like you do on a hot summer's day? And how much
welding do you have to do before it happens? Remember, I said "small
arc welder for a small job".

It takes between one and ten seconds of exposure to arc light depending
on how far away from the arc you are and how powerful it is. One second
for a small arc weld at arm's length, ten for the same arc at the other
end of a large workshop. Less than a second if you're holding the
business end of the welder in your hand at the end of a bent arm and are
looking closely at the workpiece when the arc strikes. You won't feel it
for up to five minutes, by which time it's too late.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Is this **** for real?

Unfortunately, he seems to be.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:00:04 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 07/12/2013 17:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:16:04 -0000, The Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:46:26 +0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then?
If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything
happens to your eyes.

Yes!

but DAMHIKT

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem? You stop welding when
your face is red.

The lens in youe eye focuses the image of the arc onto a small portion
of your retina, which is more easily damaged than your skin.
Concentrated light plus more sensitivity equals more

I thought it was the skin on the surface of the eyeball that was burnt like sunburn?

Of course, you *could* try the experiment on yourself, then buy a screen
reader like Mr. Gaff's so you could post the results....

Arc eye is *not* fun. I know this from personal experience, and I only
caught a quick accidental glimpse of a welder working some yards away

How come you got that so easily? I didn't.

--
The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand
held shield will do.

The trouble is you can't see the workpiece through it very easily. I'm
talking about a single one off small job here, not welding all day.

So rent one of the automatically dimming ones for a few quid. You can
see through them clearly until the instant the arc starts, at which
point they become close to opaque,leaving you enough vision to see the
arc clearly without eye damage.

Just done some welding using a normal one. It's easy enough actually. Hold the rod a cm above the piece, put the visor down, then move it closer. The arc lights up enough to see.

When I say visor, I'm having to just hold the visor glass in front of my eyes, as I have a large nose which stops the visor coming right down! The stupid design means there is a screw to hold the glass in place which contacts my nose, making the glass too high to see through it.

Another question - how to make the weld stronger? It worked great joining two pieces, but another two it keeps breaking. The weld material just snaps.

--
Helpdesk: Click on the 'my computer' icon on the left of the screen.
Customer: Your left or my left?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 17:06, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Why not explain why and how quickly it happens instead of childish name
calling? As I understand it, it's the UV light that's the problem. So
why is it any worse than looking at the sun? Why won't you feel sunburn
on your face first like you do on a hot summer's day? And how much
welding do you have to do before it happens? Remember, I said "small
arc welder for a small job".

Why do you think people go snow blind in the cold when they can't feel
the sun burning them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 18:36, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 18:30:25 -0000, charles
wrote:

wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc
while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

but I suspect you would be much closer if you wer doing the welding
yourself.

Probably twice as close.

So at least four times the intensity of UV light, and the response of
the injured tissue to radiation also follows a power law, so at least
eight times the damage per second.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

No they're not necessary...I don't even know why they bother making them
really.

And take no notice of all the nasty people on here who tell you
otherwise,
they just want you to look foolish, using a welding mask while
welding, i've
never heard of such a thing.

You may have noticed I was asking about one small job as opposed to
making a living out of it.

You could try using a gas welding setup, then you only need a pair of
relatively transparent green goggles.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 20:58, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Seems to be a lot of Outlook Express users double posting with Virgin
Media recently.

And they're still less repetitive than you.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:09:36 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Is this **** for real?

Unfortunately, he seems to be.

It was a fair question about length of time required for damage. For example handling asbestos for 5 minutes is not the same as handling it for a living.

--
If you believe in telepathy, raise my hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:08:59 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

[...]

I've definitely exceeded 10 seconds watching someone else at about 2 metres on a few occasions, with no effect.

--
I've got trouble with the wife again - she came into the bar
looking for me and I asked for her number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:14:04 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 07/12/2013 17:06, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Why not explain why and how quickly it happens instead of childish name
calling? As I understand it, it's the UV light that's the problem. So
why is it any worse than looking at the sun? Why won't you feel sunburn
on your face first like you do on a hot summer's day? And how much
welding do you have to do before it happens? Remember, I said "small
arc welder for a small job".

Why do you think people go snow blind in the cold when they can't feel
the sun burning them?

I've never heard of that. I've heard of people getting sunburnt on their face when skiing, although it never happened to me as I have skin that tans easily.

--
63% of men have had sex in the shower.
The other 37% have never been to prison.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 21:12, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Another question - how to make the weld stronger? It worked great
joining two pieces, but another two it keeps breaking. The weld
material just snaps.

Sounds like you are either not getting adequate penetration, or not
doing enough cover passes after your root pass.

Jody will tell you what you need to know:

http://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

No they're not necessary...I don't even know why they bother making them
really.

And take no notice of all the nasty people on here who tell you
otherwise,
they just want you to look foolish, using a welding mask while
welding, i've
never heard of such a thing.

You may have noticed I was asking about one small job as opposed to
making a living out of it.

You could try using a gas welding setup, then you only need a pair of
relatively transparent green goggles.

My neighbour happens to have an electric welder I can borrow.

--
Hickory dickory dock, three mice ran up the clock. The clock struck one, and the others got away with minor injuries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:17:33 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 07/12/2013 20:58, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Seems to be a lot of Outlook Express users double posting with Virgin
Media recently.

And they're still less repetitive than you.

Yawn...

--
The evening news is where they begin with "Good evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:20:34 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 07/12/2013 21:12, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Another question - how to make the weld stronger? It worked great
joining two pieces, but another two it keeps breaking. The weld
material just snaps.

Sounds like you are either not getting adequate penetration, or not
doing enough cover passes after your root pass.

Jody will tell you what you need to know:

http://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

More cover passes sounds about right, I'll try that. Strange it was just one particular join that was weak.

--
What does Michael Jackson like about twenty-eight year olds?
The fact that there are twenty of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true.

Well there's your answer - don't bother with a mask.

I caught a 1 second flash from a PCB exposure box (with no sodding
interlock!) and it diminished the colour perception in one eye for some
months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true.

Well there's your answer - don't bother with a mask.

I caught a 1 second flash from a PCB exposure box (with no sodding
interlock!) and it diminished the colour perception in one eye for some
months.

How powerful are those things?

--
What advice don't you want to hear from a doctor before an operation?
"Whatever you do, don't go into the light."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You prolly had parrot crap in your eyes. Course, where there's no sense
there's no feeling. Try it without a mask and with a BFO welder.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I guess not everyone is as sensitive. I had a colleague once who couldn't use a hammer drill without ear protection, he claimed it was painful.

Course, where there's no sense
there's no feeling. Try it without a mask and with a BFO welder.

Google cannot find BFO welder. Are those letters correct?

--
You keep believing, I'll keep evolving
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:00 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Ah. That explains why you can't see the difference between various types
of lamps.

I have perfect eyesight according to doctors.

Not for much longer if you continue to look directly at an arc.

Why don't you ask the same doctor what he thinks of you not wearing any
mask while arc welding?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 22:29:11 -0000, Fredxxx wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:00 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Ah. That explains why you can't see the difference between various types
of lamps.

I have perfect eyesight according to doctors.

Not for much longer if you continue to look directly at an arc.

Why don't you ask the same doctor what he thinks of you not wearing any
mask while arc welding?

I wouldn't for a long time, I was just wondering whether short term exposure was bad.

--
I'm not so think as you drunk I am...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 22:29, Fredxxx wrote:
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:00 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Ah. That explains why you can't see the difference between various types
of lamps.

I have perfect eyesight according to doctors.

Not for much longer if you continue to look directly at an arc.

Why don't you ask the same doctor what he thinks of you not wearing any
mask while arc welding?

He would likely do the same to that advice as all the good advice he has
had here. Scorn and ignore it.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 22:36:08 -0000, polygonum wrote:

On 07/12/2013 22:29, Fredxxx wrote:
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:00 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Ah. That explains why you can't see the difference between various types
of lamps.

I have perfect eyesight according to doctors.

Not for much longer if you continue to look directly at an arc.

Why don't you ask the same doctor what he thinks of you not wearing any
mask while arc welding?

He would likely do the same to that advice as all the good advice he has
had here. Scorn and ignore it.

Oh do pay attention at the back.

--
Seen in a lift:
"Please do not allow excessive obnoxious gaseous substances to be released from your anal orifice as the ventilation system is limited".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 22:29:11 -0000, Fredxxx wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:00 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Ah. That explains why you can't see the difference between various
types
of lamps.

I have perfect eyesight according to doctors.

Not for much longer if you continue to look directly at an arc.

Why don't you ask the same doctor what he thinks of you not wearing any
mask while arc welding?

I wouldn't for a long time, I was just wondering whether short term
exposure was bad.

--
I'm not so think as you drunk I am...

No dear, it's "I'm not as drunk as thinkle may peep".

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 23:00:12 -0000, bm wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 22:29:11 -0000, Fredxxx wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:00 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Ah. That explains why you can't see the difference between various
types
of lamps.

I have perfect eyesight according to doctors.

Not for much longer if you continue to look directly at an arc.

Why don't you ask the same doctor what he thinks of you not wearing any
mask while arc welding?

I wouldn't for a long time, I was just wondering whether short term
exposure was bad.

--
I'm not so think as you drunk I am...

No dear, it's "I'm not as drunk as thinkle may peep".

:-)

--
How do you titillate an ocelot?
Oscillate its titalot.