Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gefreiter Krueger Gefreiter Krueger is offline

Default Welding mask - necessary?

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:00:04 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 07/12/2013 17:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:16:04 -0000, The Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:46:26 +0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then?
If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything
happens to your eyes.

Yes!

but DAMHIKT

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem? You stop welding when
your face is red.

The lens in youe eye focuses the image of the arc onto a small portion
of your retina, which is more easily damaged than your skin.
Concentrated light plus more sensitivity equals more

I thought it was the skin on the surface of the eyeball that was burnt like sunburn?

Of course, you *could* try the experiment on yourself, then buy a screen
reader like Mr. Gaff's so you could post the results....

Arc eye is *not* fun. I know this from personal experience, and I only
caught a quick accidental glimpse of a welder working some yards away

How come you got that so easily? I didn't.

--
The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.