Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding mask - necessary?

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Yes and also gloves.
The UV can give you skin cancer.
The arc can burn a hole in your retina and lead to other blindness related
complaints in later life.
The fumes from welding rods are very toxic, so as a minimum, always weld in
a well ventilated space.
Prduction welders have a system that whipsaway the fume sinstantly.

I did see this Arab once using a welder by viewing the arc through his
closed eyes.
Out on the street in Cairo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its the UV not what you see.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

--
"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:01:23 -0000, harryagain wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Yes and also gloves.
The UV can give you skin cancer.

So can sunbathing, but we do that anyway.

The arc can burn a hole in your retina and lead to other blindness related
complaints in later life.

I shall wear a visor.

The fumes from welding rods are very toxic, so as a minimum, always weld in
a well ventilated space.

Yes, extractor fan on.

Prduction welders have a system that whipsaway the fume sinstantly.

I did see this Arab once using a welder by viewing the arc through his
closed eyes.
Out on the street in Cairo.

That would work. Sunburn on the eyelids isn't that bad.

--
Amanpreet was overheard at the hospital angrily say, "My wife just delivered twins!!!"
A passerby said, "So? You should be happy about that. Why are you so angry?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's just odd that your eye gets the worst of it and not your face's skin. Yet if you lie in the sun your face gets it first. Then again you don't stare at the sun for a few hours, your eyes are closed most of the time you lie on a beach.

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 09:40:09 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Its the UV not what you see.
Brian

--
What is the punishment for bigamy?
Two mother-in-laws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news

Well thanks for about the only sensible reply in the thread. I shall use
a mask.

Good luck on finding a mask that will fit over the nob on your forehead:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:14:49 -0000, ARW wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news

Well thanks for about the only sensible reply in the thread. I shall use
a mask.

Good luck on finding a mask that will fit over the nob on your forehead:-)

You're just jealous I can satisfy twice as many women as you.

--
"You, you, and you ... panic. The rest of you, come with me." - U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news

Well thanks for about the only sensible reply in the thread. I shall
use
a mask.

Good luck on finding a mask that will fit over the nob on your
forehead:-)

You're just jealous I can satisfy twice as many women as you.

You would need a big bed to get all six of them in.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 16:50, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

It doesn't look brighter than a lightbulb (this is a small welder), and
UV would give me sunburn on my face before it damaged my eyes surely?

It's the bit you cannot see that also cause the damage.
What is the time between your skin going red and you realising that you
have been in the sun too long?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news

Well thanks for about the only sensible reply in the thread. I shall
use
a mask.

Good luck on finding a mask that will fit over the nob on your
forehead:-)

You're just jealous I can satisfy twice as many women as you.

You would need a big bed to get all six of them in.

ROFL! Good one. Now provide proof.

--
Make like a post-it note and stick around....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:30:39 -0000, alan wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:50, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

It doesn't look brighter than a lightbulb (this is a small welder), and
UV would give me sunburn on my face before it damaged my eyes surely?

It's the bit you cannot see that also cause the damage.
What is the time between your skin going red and you realising that you
have been in the sun too long?

Zero.

--
DNA tests confirm that Richard III is the last Englishman to be found in Leicester!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
You're just jealous I can satisfy twice as many women as you.

You would need a big bed to get all six of them in.

ROFL! Good one. Now provide proof.

They were all ugly and fat, but it did not matter as I was wearing beer
goggles to protect my eyes from the glow of my welding rod as I did the
welding.

So what will you be arguing about next week?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 18:10, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

I was welding heavy current under large assembly, flipped up hood to
look at weld, and as I moved position caught a big flash as rod stuck
arc up close to where I was looking.
Initially just unable to see properly out of one eye, residual image of
teh flash ... carried on work .. then feeling of sand in the eye, and
that got worse & worse ... intensely painful.

Whether it's the intent flash, up close, high current ......... but I
would NEVER arc weld without a shield .... EVER.

Illogical and senseless to do so, the intense UV alone is bad enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 12:03:24 -0000, ARW wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news
You're just jealous I can satisfy twice as many women as you.

You would need a big bed to get all six of them in.

ROFL! Good one. Now provide proof.

They were all ugly and fat, but it did not matter as I was wearing beer
goggles to protect my eyes from the glow of my welding rod as I did the
welding.

So what will you be arguing about next week?

I'm not arguing about anything, I was asking advice on welding.

--
Dear Diary,
I've had this odd feeling for a little while. It's a surrealistically subconscious feeling that I was abducted by aliens and thoroughly probed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 12:11:10 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

On 07/12/2013 18:10, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

I was welding heavy current under large assembly, flipped up hood to
look at weld, and as I moved position caught a big flash as rod stuck
arc up close to where I was looking.
Initially just unable to see properly out of one eye, residual image of
teh flash ... carried on work .. then feeling of sand in the eye, and
that got worse & worse ... intensely painful.

Whether it's the intent flash, up close, high current ......... but I
would NEVER arc weld without a shield .... EVER.

Illogical and senseless to do so, the intense UV alone is bad enough.

Seems ok with a little welder to peek at it briefly. The timing of my left hand on the visor is never quite in sync with my right hand on the welder.

--
I was doing some remolishments to my house the other day and accidentally defurbished it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-12-07, Muddymike wrote:
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary.

Don't tell him that. I'd quite like to hear that he had gone blind.

Oh do grow up.

--
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - Frank Zappa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-12-07, Apellation Controlee wrote:
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:33:56 -0000, "Muddymike"
wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand
held shield will do.

Yurp, weld flash is no joke.

It is when "Gefreiter Krueger" has it.

Oh do grow up.

--
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - Frank Zappa
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Its your eyesight, so you do as you wish if you value it so little.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I can't magically make myself perfectly coordinated. I did some yesterday and have noticed no ill effects.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted infection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 10:03, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

It's just odd that your eye gets the worst of it and not your face's
skin. Yet if you lie in the sun your face gets it first. Then again
you don't stare at the sun for a few hours, your eyes are closed most of
the time you lie on a beach.

Its worth keeping in mind that the wavelength of the UV in question also
has an effect. For example UV A (400 - 350 nm) penetrates the skin
deeply, but does not cause tanning or redness. It does however cause
chemical breakdown products that are highly reactive and which can in
turn cause skin or DNA damage. UV B will cause tanning / sunburn, in the
short term, but can have longer term effects like causing cataracts
which may not manifest for years.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 15:43:59 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 08/12/2013 10:03, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

It's just odd that your eye gets the worst of it and not your face's
skin. Yet if you lie in the sun your face gets it first. Then again
you don't stare at the sun for a few hours, your eyes are closed most of
the time you lie on a beach.

Its worth keeping in mind that the wavelength of the UV in question also
has an effect. For example UV A (400 - 350 nm) penetrates the skin
deeply, but does not cause tanning or redness. It does however cause
chemical breakdown products that are highly reactive and which can in
turn cause skin or DNA damage. UV B will cause tanning / sunburn, in the
short term, but can have longer term effects like causing cataracts
which may not manifest for years.

I gave up noting down which letter did which, as they changed their mind a few times. When going out in the sun, I prefer to go out less if I'm getting red rather than use creams.

--
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:50:19 -0000, "Gefreiter Krueger"
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:46:18 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Saturday 07 December 2013 16:33 Muddymike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand
held shield will do.

Mike

Particularly if you don't want to get a painful case of arc-eye and possible
long term eye damage!

It doesn't look brighter than a lightbulb (this is a small welder), and UV would give me sunburn on my face before it damaged my eyes surely?

Have you never heard of snow-blindness?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:46:18 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Saturday 07 December 2013 16:33 Muddymike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand
held shield will do.

Mike

Particularly if you don't want to get a painful case of arc-eye and possible
long term eye damage!

It doesn't look brighter than a lightbulb (this is a small welder), and UV would give me sunburn on my face before it damaged my eyes surely?

Have you never heard of snow-blindness?

I've heard of people getting sunburn on their face without any eye effects, so it's clear the skin gets it first.

--
A highway patrolman pulled alongside a speeding car on the freeway. Glancing at the car, he was astounded to see that the blonde behind the wheel was knitting!
Realizing that she was oblivious to his flashing lights and siren, the trooper cranked down his window, turned on his bullhorn and yelled, "PULL OVER!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 12:25, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Seems ok with a little welder to peek at it briefly. The timing of my
left hand on the visor is never quite in sync with my right hand on the
welder.

Then maybe an auto visor would be better for you

Could be you are in the habit of watching arc strike then using shield
..... bad practise, and not good for your eyes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 10:03, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
It's just odd that your eye gets the worst of it and not your face's
skin. Yet if you lie in the sun your face gets it first. Then again
you don't stare at the sun for a few hours, your eyes are closed most of
the time you lie on a beach.

maybe a simple consideration for you ....... nobody has yet been able to
see out of a glass eye ........ you want to take the risk go ahead,
nobody with any common sense will advise you to do so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 17:48:01 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

On 08/12/2013 12:25, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Seems ok with a little welder to peek at it briefly. The timing of my
left hand on the visor is never quite in sync with my right hand on the
welder.

Then maybe an auto visor would be better for you

Could be you are in the habit of watching arc strike then using shield
.... bad practise, and not good for your eyes.

No, I mean to position it then lower the shield to strike. But I don't time it right every time, rather like a learner driver crunching the gears by using the clutch and gearlever out of sync. I guess it just needs practise.

--
An ostrichs eye is bigger than its brain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 17:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:16:04 -0000, The Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:46:26 +0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

wrote:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message
news job, is a mask really necessary? The spark doesn't look any brighter
than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple
hand held shield will do.

Yurp, weld flash is no joke.

If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then?
If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything
happens to your eyes.

Yes!

but DAMHIKT

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem? You stop welding when
your face is red.

For anyone sensible the answer is yes you always need a welding mask for
protection from the arcs hard UV component and any flux splatter.

But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders
flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to
your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Yurp, weld flash is no joke.

If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then?
If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything
happens to your eyes.

Yes!

but DAMHIKT

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem? You stop welding when
your face is red.

For anyone sensible the answer is yes you always need a welding mask for
protection from the arcs hard UV component and any flux splatter.

But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders
flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to
your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.

The gloves seem a bit over the top.

--
A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy's bushes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

An auto darkening helmet is the solution...

I did some
yesterday and have noticed no ill effects.

Not yet at least.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If I was doing more than one job.

I did some
yesterday and have noticed no ill effects.

Not yet at least.

Everything I read said 5 minutes.

--
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:42:23 -0000, "Gefreiter Krueger"
wrote:

P.S. I ignored the "you must wear special glasses" when watching the solar eclipse around 2000, and never fell foul (fowl?) of anything.

Is this the erstwhile Lt Scott?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

P.S. I ignored the "you must wear special glasses" when watching the solar eclipse around 2000, and never fell foul (fowl?) of anything.

Is this the erstwhile Lt Scott?

Do keep up at the back.

--
A foursome of ladies was standing on a tee when a streaker ran across the fairway in front of them. One lady asks, "Is that Dick Green?"
Another replied, "No, I think it's just the reflection off the grass."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Seems ok with a little welder to peek at it briefly. The timing of my
left hand on the visor is never quite in sync with my right hand on the
welder.

Its your eyesight, so you do as you wish if you value it so little.

I used to work beside ******s in body shops who would tack mig panels
on without a mask, because they couldn't be arsed going to find one.
I wonder if they've still got their eyesight?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 22:03, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:52:43 -0000, bm wrote:
Course, where there's no sense
there's no feeling. Try it without a mask and with a BFO welder.

Google cannot find BFO welder. Are those letters correct?

Yes. HTH. There is a clearly defined meaning in this context.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 18:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:15:51 -0000, Martin Brown
But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders
flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to
your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.

The gloves seem a bit over the top.

Not after the first time you see a large lump of white hot metal
spattering off the workpiece.... For a similar reason, welders tend to
wear boots that can be removed very quickly indeed.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 12:24, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 12:03:24 -0000, ARW

I'm not arguing about anything, I was asking advice on welding.

And rubbishing all the answers you got, as you normally do.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 21:19, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:08:59 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

On 07/12/2013 17:06, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Why not explain why and how quickly it happens instead of childish name
calling? As I understand it, it's the UV light that's the problem. So
why is it any worse than looking at the sun? Why won't you feel sunburn
on your face first like you do on a hot summer's day? And how much
welding do you have to do before it happens? Remember, I said "small
arc welder for a small job".

It takes between one and ten seconds of exposure to arc light depending
on how far away from the arc you are and how powerful it is. One second
for a small arc weld at arm's length, ten for the same arc at the other
end of a large workshop. Less than a second if you're holding the
business end of the welder in your hand at the end of a bent arm and are
looking closely at the workpiece when the arc strikes. You won't feel it
for up to five minutes, by which time it's too late.

I've definitely exceeded 10 seconds watching someone else at about 2
metres on a few occasions, with no effect.

They're your eyes, do as you wish. Just don't expect us to be grateful
for picking up the tab for your stupidity via the NHS.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ahhhh.... big **** off?

--
Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "asteroids"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 21:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:09:36 -0000, John Williamson

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Is this **** for real?

Unfortunately, he seems to be.

It was a fair question about length of time required for damage. For
example handling asbestos for 5 minutes is not the same as handling it
for a living.

True, but a single exposure to asbestos dust has been blamed for causing
mesothelioma many years later.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 20:38:43 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 08/12/2013 18:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:15:51 -0000, Martin Brown
But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders
flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to
your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.

The gloves seem a bit over the top.

Not after the first time you see a large lump of white hot metal
spattering off the workpiece.... For a similar reason, welders tend to
wear boots that can be removed very quickly indeed.

Quite a few of those I've seen, and one did hit my hand, I just flicked it off.

--
Make like a post-it note and stick around....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 20:40:23 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 08/12/2013 12:24, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 12:03:24 -0000, ARW

I'm not arguing about anything, I was asking advice on welding.

And rubbishing all the answers you got, as you normally do.

No, discussing them. You may have noticed I am wearing a visor.

--
The Royal Family have been declared bankrupt after receiving Richard III's parking fine.