Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding mask - necessary?

On 07/12/2013 21:19, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:08:59 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

On 07/12/2013 17:06, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Why not explain why and how quickly it happens instead of childish name
calling? As I understand it, it's the UV light that's the problem. So
why is it any worse than looking at the sun? Why won't you feel sunburn
on your face first like you do on a hot summer's day? And how much
welding do you have to do before it happens? Remember, I said "small
arc welder for a small job".

It takes between one and ten seconds of exposure to arc light depending
on how far away from the arc you are and how powerful it is. One second
for a small arc weld at arm's length, ten for the same arc at the other
end of a large workshop. Less than a second if you're holding the
business end of the welder in your hand at the end of a bent arm and are
looking closely at the workpiece when the arc strikes. You won't feel it
for up to five minutes, by which time it's too late.

I've definitely exceeded 10 seconds watching someone else at about 2
metres on a few occasions, with no effect.

They're your eyes, do as you wish. Just don't expect us to be grateful
for picking up the tab for your stupidity via the NHS.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.