Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding mask - necessary?

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:40:47 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 12/12/2013 23:55, Uncle Peter wrote:
I see. My friend told me yesterday he much prefers gas welding. Is it
easier?

From my experiences trying it, to be successful at any form of welding
requires the welder to sign a pact with the Devil, giving him the soul
of the welder's first born son. Which may explain why so many welders
that I have met over the years only have daughters....

Or maybe the UV does something to their testes.

--
Two Irish couples decided to swap partners for the night.
After 3 hours of amazing sex, Paddy says "I wonder how the girls are getting on".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:04:44 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 22:59:32 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

No, unless you get some spatter flying off the joint towards them. The
green goggles work fine, and are mainly there to block the infra red. A
full mask is recommended to stop the bits of hot metal burning your
face, though.

I see. What can infra red do? Is it harmful like ultra violet?

Stand near something hot, it is radiating infra-red at you. When you
hold your hands up in front of the fire and say "Oooh, that's nice and
warm", your hands are detecting infra-red.

Which isn't harmful, as you say ouch and go back a bit if there's too much. It would seem the eyes aren't so well equipped.

--
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/12/2013 23:55, Uncle Peter wrote:
I see. My friend told me yesterday he much prefers gas welding. Is it
easier?

From my experiences trying it, to be successful at any form of welding
requires the welder to sign a pact with the Devil, giving him the soul
of the welder's first born son. Which may explain why so many welders
that I have met over the years only have daughters....

Or maybe the UV does something to their testes.

I prefer my theory.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:44:56 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

You're the dimwit. I asked a simple question. So are questions not allowed in uk.d-i-y? Does everyone have to know everything? If so why have the group at all?

You're the one claiming to have a physics degree

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:36:46 -0000, The Other Mike wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:44:56 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

You're the dimwit. I asked a simple question. So are questions not allowed in uk.d-i-y? Does everyone have to know everything? If so why have the group at all?

You're the one claiming to have a physics degree

A physics degree means you know everything does it?

--
Smith & Wesson -- the original point and click interface.