Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gefreiter Krueger Gefreiter Krueger is offline

Default Welding mask - necessary?

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 16:45:12 -0000, Apellation Controlee wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:50:19 -0000, "Gefreiter Krueger"
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:46:18 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Saturday 07 December 2013 16:33 Muddymike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand
held shield will do.

Mike

Particularly if you don't want to get a painful case of arc-eye and possible
long term eye damage!

It doesn't look brighter than a lightbulb (this is a small welder), and UV would give me sunburn on my face before it damaged my eyes surely?

Have you never heard of snow-blindness?

I've heard of people getting sunburn on their face without any eye effects, so it's clear the skin gets it first.

--
A highway patrolman pulled alongside a speeding car on the freeway. Glancing at the car, he was astounded to see that the blonde behind the wheel was knitting!
Realizing that she was oblivious to his flashing lights and siren, the trooper cranked down his window, turned on his bullhorn and yelled, "PULL OVER!"