Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding mask - necessary?

On 07/12/2013 18:36, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 18:30:25 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:44:06 -0000, Rick Hughes
wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary?
The spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright
lightbulb.

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc
while
I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often
watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

but I suspect you would be much closer if you wer doing the welding
yourself.

Probably twice as close.

So at least four times the intensity of UV light, and the response of
the injured tissue to radiation also follows a power law, so at least
eight times the damage per second.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.