Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT Where to park?

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AC AC is offline

See if there is a bay marked "**** with Parking Envy".

--
AC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:31:24 +0100, ARW wrote:

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission
bay or the mother and child bay?

As you can't find one suitably labeled do what every other prat does:
Park outside the door.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 15 October 2013 19:31 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay

or the mother and child bay?

Well, it's technically a parent and child bay - so borrow the sprog. Anyway,
you need help to carry the beer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 20:09:05 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

or the mother and child bay?

Well, it's technically a parent and child bay - so borrow the sprog.

Or take a parent ...

I've parked in "Parent & Child" bays when I used to take my Blue
Badge holding 80+ year old father shopping and all the Blue Badge
bays were taken.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2013 19:31, ARW wrote:
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

Since you won't have drunk the beer yet, the low emmisions zone sounds
fine ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 22:19:42 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football

match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low

emmission
bay or the mother and child bay?

Since you won't have drunk the beer yet, the low emmisions zone sounds
fine ;-)

I have Adam down a lager drinker rather than Draught Bass. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2013 19:31, ARW wrote:
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

Park in the bay nearest to where you want to go.

One of the smaller supermarkets local to me has converted around half
the car park to mother and child very wide bays. The result is that the
car park is often full and people are starting to shop elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

A real man would have got the bitch to get the beers in before and had it
poured ready...

Pah !
Amateurs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

Have you found a supermarket that sells decent beer then?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I've parked in "Parent & Child" bays when I used to take my Blue
Badge holding 80+ year old father shopping and all the Blue Badge
bays were taken.

When I take my two disabled people shopping I don't use the disabled
bays because with wheelchairs we don't need them. I leave them for others.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

--
Adam

The ones with charging points for electric cars only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 05:22 Nthkentman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

A real man would have got the bitch to get the beers in before and had it
poured ready...

Pah !
Amateurs

You are from Chatham and I claim my £5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 08:06, harryagain wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

--
Adam

The ones with charging points for electric cars only.

They only stand empty otherwise.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:36:42 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I've parked in "Parent & Child" bays when I used to take my Blue

Badge holding 80+ year old father shopping and all the Blue Badge

bays were taken.

Invariably by ******* with no blue badge or no apparent disability and their mum's badge (or something).

The vilke *******s should have their Mercs, BMWs, Audis & 4x4 bling wagens moved to a distant corner of the car park and neatly stacked with a fork lift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

Good one Adam.

(1) Thing is: what can they do to you if you just ignore these priggish
reservations?

(2)
rant
Never heard of "low emission bays" (WTF!!???), no sympathy whatsoever
with "Mother and Child Bays" (awwwwwwwww!!!!),
I'm sympathetic to the idea of blue badge bays --- but not when I see
some of the "disabled" types getting out of their cars, or when I see
people using what is clearly someone else's badge. (And up here in
Northumberland they're allowed park free! WHY!!!???? Are they poorer
than me? In their highly expensive "Motability" tax-payer-subsidised new
cars? And WHY are they allowed to park on double yellows? A
double-yellow is there for a reason -- which is to do with traffic
movement, NOT pedestrian abilities!)
etc etc etc
/rant

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:29:55 +0100, Another John wrote:

I'm sympathetic to the idea of blue badge bays --- but not when I see
some of the "disabled" types getting out of their cars

You can't see many disabilities, even ones which severely affect mobility.

or when I see people using what is clearly someone else's badge.

Which is naughtier than using a space without a badge at all - it's not
only breaking the parking regs in exactly the same way, but can lead to
withdrawal of the badge from the holder, who actually needs it.

(And up here in Northumberland they're allowed park free! WHY!!!????
Are they poorer than me?

Well, they don't have the same options to work that you do - and they
don't have the option to walk or cycle that you do.

In their highly expensive "Motability" tax-payer-subsidised new
cars?

For which they forgo their higher-rate mobility allowance. Are you sayiing
that you object to the severely disabled receiving mobility allowance?

And WHY are they allowed to park on double yellows?

Only in the same places as able-bodied people can legally park for

etc etc etc /rant

Look, there's an easy solution. Get somebody to kneecap you badly enough
that you have sufficient mobility problems to qualify for a blue badge,
then you'll be happy, right?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:31:24 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay

or the mother and child bay?

--

Adam

Actually going to a shop? How quaint. Get clicking and get it delivered.

Better still, this is a D-I-Y group, so why have you not brewed your own already....

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 09:29 Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission
bay or the mother and child bay?

Good one Adam.

(1) Thing is: what can they do to you if you just ignore these priggish
reservations?

(2)
rant
Never heard of "low emission bays" (WTF!!???), no sympathy whatsoever
with "Mother and Child Bays" (awwwwwwwww!!!!),

Parent and child bays are to protect *you*. Think about it - parent, 3 kids
all piling out of the car, feet kicking against doors. Where do you think
the edge of that door goes? Yes - into a nice little dent on *your* door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, 16 October 2013 09:27:35 UTC+1, Onetap wrote:

[...]

The vilke *******s should have their Mercs, BMWs, Audis & 4x4 bling wagens moved to a distant corner of the car park and neatly stacked with a fork lift.

http://youparklikea****.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission
bay or the mother and child bay?

Good one Adam.

(1) Thing is: what can they do to you if you just ignore these priggish
reservations?

(2)
rant
Never heard of "low emission bays" (WTF!!???), no sympathy whatsoever
with "Mother and Child Bays" (awwwwwwwww!!!!),

Parent and child bays are to protect *you*. Think about it - parent, 3 kids
all piling out of the car, feet kicking against doors. Where do you think
the edge of that door goes? Yes - into a nice little dent on *your* door.

If so, why are they nearest to the shop doors and not out of everybody
else's way on the far side of the car park?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low
emmission bay or the mother and child bay?

Good one Adam.

(1) Thing is: what can they do to you if you just ignore these
priggish reservations?

(2) rant Never heard of "low emission bays" (WTF!!???), no sympathy
whatsoever with "Mother and Child Bays" (awwwwwwwww!!!!),

Parent and child bays are to protect *you*. Think about it - parent, 3
kids all piling out of the car, feet kicking against doors. Where do
you think the edge of that door goes? Yes - into a nice little dent on
*your* door.

If so, why are they nearest to the shop doors and not out of everybody
else's way on the far side of the car park?

because they are intended for parents with push chairs/prams. Look at the
marking on the ground.

But, is there anything to stop me taking my 45yo daughter and parking in
such a slot?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:

On 15/10/2013 19:31, ARW wrote:

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

Park in the bay nearest to where you want to go.

One of the smaller supermarkets local to me has converted around half
the car park to mother and child very wide bays. The result is that the
car park is often full and people are starting to shop elsewhere.

My offspring lives near a shopping centre that has ~1000 parking
spaces. The staff of the supermarket complained that
they had to compete with customers for parking places. The solution
was to put notices on a section of the car park saying it was for
staff permit holders only. It was enforced by a fat dragon of a woman,
who accosted myself and SWMBO one day while walking along the footpath
that edged this area, and berated us for having parked there. We were
in fact walking back to where we were staying, and hadn't come by
car.

This situation didn't last long and the fat dragon was seen no more.
However, the permit-only car park was as far from the supermarket as
it was possible to get, and the staff got fed up of being rained on
and so resumed parking with the customers.

The result is that this permit-only section of the car park now stands
empty as customers won't risk disobeying the signs (£80 penalty),
staff won't use it, and so some 10% of the total space has been
lost.

The restriction notices originally said something about the marked
bays, but none were marked and so I parked there hoping to get a
ticket I could contest, but they then changed the wording. Now it is
just a waste of space.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Fields wrote:

The result is that this permit-only section of the car park now stands
empty as customers won't risk disobeying the signs (£80 penalty),
staff won't use it, and so some 10% of the total space has been
lost.

The restriction notices originally said something about the marked
bays, but none were marked and so I parked there hoping to get a
ticket I could contest, but they then changed the wording. Now it is
just a waste of space.

Perhaps I should have added that whoever runs the car park has now
installed an ANPRS system to enforce the 2-hour parking rule...Last
time I drove in there it got my number wrong.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:

One of the smaller supermarkets local to me has converted around half
the car park to mother and child very wide bays. The result is that the
car park is often full and people are starting to shop elsewhere.

If any supermarket would convert *all* their spaces to wide bays, I'd
shop there to avoid trolley dings and handbag scratches on my car. Bonus
marks if they'd get rid of the immigrant workers offering to drag a
damp, gritty rag over the paintwork ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 01:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Onetap wrote:

I've parked in "Parent & Child" bays when I used to take my Blue
Badge holding 80+ year old father shopping and all the Blue Badge
bays were taken.

Invariably by ******* with no blue badge or no apparent disability
and their mum's badge (or something).

Pretty sure the the first and last are offences and the last will
also risk the rightful holder having their Blue Badge taken away.

The second is very thin ice and the change of scheme branding from
"Disabled Parking" to "Blue Badge" was to remove the implication
coming from "disabled" that it only meant those in wheelchairs or
other outwardly obvious mobilty problems.

My father had a Blue Badge early on beacuse he was registered blind,
one eye and that had a cateract. With only one eye the "bad outcome"
risk of having the cateract removed was significantly higher than
some one with a "spare" eye. At that time he was just a "nice old
gentleman" but he could barely see if there was any bright light
about. As he got older mobilty became more of a problem and for
anything over 50 yds he did use a wheelchair.

The vilke *******s should have their Mercs, BMWs, Audis & 4x4 bling
wagens moved to a distant corner of the car park and neatly stacked with
a fork lift.

Presumably you mean the ****s that park in Blue Badge spaces without
a Blue Badge?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:01:17 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

Parent and child bays are to protect *you*. Think about it - parent, 3
kids all piling out of the car, feet kicking against doors. Where do
you think the edge of that door goes? Yes - into a nice little dent on
*your* door.

If so, why are they nearest to the shop doors and not out of everybody
else's way on the far side of the car park?

Because otherwise they would ignore them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:51:25 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

If any supermarket would convert *all* their spaces to wide bays, I'd

shop there to avoid trolley dings and handbag scratches on my car. Bonus

marks if they'd get rid of the immigrant workers offering to drag a

damp, gritty rag over the paintwork ...

Costco, though not quite a supermarket.
Spaces wide enough for American cars containing Americans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/10/2013 20:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 20:09:05 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

or the mother and child bay?

Well, it's technically a parent and child bay - so borrow the sprog.

Or take a parent ...

I've parked in "Parent & Child" bays when I used to take my Blue
Badge holding 80+ year old father shopping and all the Blue Badge
bays were taken.

I can't do that, as I'm an orphan. Sniff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 11:57 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hear, hear.

You are Squidward and I claim my $5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 10:51, Andy Burns wrote:
alan wrote:

One of the smaller supermarkets local to me has converted around half
the car park to mother and child very wide bays. The result is that the
car park is often full and people are starting to shop elsewhere.

If any supermarket would convert *all* their spaces to wide bays, I'd
shop there to avoid trolley dings and handbag scratches on my car. Bonus
marks if they'd get rid of the immigrant workers offering to drag a
damp, gritty rag over the paintwork ...

Our local Morrison's has wide parking spaces. Our local Tesco's has ones
that are small for a SmartCar. So the usual progress of a supermarket
shopper is to try and find everything in Morrison's, and only go to
Tesco's if necessary.
They are just too far apart to stay parked in Morrison's for both,
unfortunately.
The Co-op is so expensive hardly anybody goes there.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:51:25 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

alan wrote:

One of the smaller supermarkets local to me has converted around half
the car park to mother and child very wide bays. The result is that the
car park is often full and people are starting to shop elsewhere.

If any supermarket would convert *all* their spaces to wide bays, I'd
shop there to avoid trolley dings and handbag scratches on my car.

Costco! Not your average supermarket, I agree...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
Our local Morrison's has wide parking spaces. Our local Tesco
has ones that are small for a SmartCar.

I took somebody to Manchester Airport on Monday. When I got back
to the car people had parked so close to it I had to get in via
the boot.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 10:14, charles wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Not really an answer as to why they shouldn't be on the far side of the
car park. It would certainly ensure that nobody else used them.

But, is there anything to stop me taking my 45yo daughter and parking in
such a slot?

Neither Morrisons nor Tesco will do anything. Asda will issue a parking
charge notice if the driver is seen entering the store without a child,
but a PCN does not have a high chance of success if taken to Court. It
would, however, be interesting to see what happened to a defence on the
basis you suggest.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Because then the kids would be running through the car park and supermarket
car parks are fecking dangerous places.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

They could have a dedicated safe route from the parent and child parking
area, or the parents could teach their children some discipline.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:

One of the smaller supermarkets local to me has converted around half

the car park to mother and child very wide bays. The result is that the

car park is often full and people are starting to shop elsewhere.

If any supermarket would convert *all* their spaces to wide bays, I'd

shop there to avoid trolley dings and handbag scratches on my car. Bonus

marks if they'd get rid of the immigrant workers offering to drag a

damp, gritty rag over the paintwork ...

Our local Morrison's has wide parking spaces. Our local Tesco's has ones

that are small for a SmartCar. So the usual progress of a supermarket

shopper is to try and find everything in Morrison's, and only go to

Tesco's if necessary.

They are just too far apart to stay parked in Morrison's for both,

unfortunately.

The Co-op is so expensive hardly anybody goes there.

Not as expensive as the subserdised student union shop.

Park homes stuart noble UK diy 7 September 25th 10 03:27 PM
stuck in park Karl Townsend Metalworking 34 May 25th 10 09:48 PM
Park Bench Greg O Woodworking 11 July 10th 06 09:00 PM
Shedd Park Charlie S. Home Repair 1 September 1st 05 02:39 AM
Park Marking Help Lane Metalworking 10 February 3rd 05 04:11 AM