Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Where to park?

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

Now the ball is with another generation...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 01:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Onetap wrote:

I've parked in "Parent & Child" bays when I used to take my Blue
Badge holding 80+ year old father shopping and all the Blue Badge
bays were taken.

Invariably by ******* with no blue badge or no apparent disability
and their mum's badge (or something).

Pretty sure the the first and last are offences and the last will
also risk the rightful holder having their Blue Badge taken away.

The second is very thin ice and the change of scheme branding from
"Disabled Parking" to "Blue Badge" was to remove the implication
coming from "disabled" that it only meant those in wheelchairs or
other outwardly obvious mobilty problems.

My father had a Blue Badge early on beacuse he was registered blind,
one eye and that had a cateract. With only one eye the "bad outcome"
risk of having the cateract removed was significantly higher than
some one with a "spare" eye. At that time he was just a "nice old
gentleman" but he could barely see if there was any bright light
about. As he got older mobilty became more of a problem and for
anything over 50 yds he did use a wheelchair.

presumably he didn't drive a car?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and around
traffic.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 05:22 Nthkentman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

A real man would have got the bitch to get the beers in before and had it
poured ready...

Pah !
Amateurs

You are from Chatham and I claim my £5

LOL!

I have lived and worked for many in Chatham matey many moons ago.... and
they're far worse down there FFS!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 October 2013 15:10:24 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

Wasn't with mine we never had a car, makes me wonder how we didn't stave to death.

Now the ball is with another generation...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 15:48 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and around
traffic.

Colin Bignell

Yes - but that takes time and is not really a valid assumption for kids
some-small-age.

And supermarket car parks are full of morons/old biddies/other dangerous
sods.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Parent and child bays are to protect *you*. Think about it - parent, 3
kids all piling out of the car, feet kicking against doors. Where do
you think the edge of that door goes? Yes - into a nice little dent on
*your* door.

If so, why are they nearest to the shop doors and not out of everybody
else's way on the far side of the car park?

Why are motorbike bays always very close to the entrance? The average
motorbike rider tends to be younger than the average car driver. And by
nature reasonably fit.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:31:24 +0100, ARW wrote:

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low
emmission bay or the mother and child bay?

Assuming you don't need the disabled bay, and aren't a ****, then the
low emission bay.

I am, of course, presuming you are child free - at least for this
journey.

But logically the real ****s are the people that correctly park in the LEZ
spaces. If they have a car that emits less CO2 than others per mile then
surely thay should be made to drive around the car park and park at the far
end of of it. That's going to save more of the worlds resources than having
the those of use wth less efficient cars do the extra mileage in the car
park.

I pulled a classic a couple of weeks ago in Bridlington on a Sunday. Pay and
display - there was building works going on on South Marine Drive and as I
was in a van I just shifted a couple of traffic cones and parked in the-)

And yes I am a **** - but I would never park in a disabled bay unless I had
a disabled passenger. And AC asked "See if there is a bay marked "**** with
Parking Envy". Well I do not envy anyone who requires a disabled badge or
has to help someone with a disabled badge. I just do not see the point of
the other two types of parking bays.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

I could see the point of Low Energy bays if they wer equipped with
chargung socket for electric vehicles.

The Mother and toddler bays tend to be wider, this allowing a mother to
open a back door fully so that she can get the child out safely. [for
mother read father if relevant]

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-10-16, charles wrote:

The Mother and toddler bays tend to be wider, this allowing a mother to
open a back door fully so that she can get the child out safely. [for
mother read father if relevant]

So what? She should have thought of that before she popped it out.

so what is to stop banging the body of the car next door.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nor my local primary school assures me, can anyone do anything about ******s parking on yellow zig tags outside the school - this is by parents at drop off & pick up times FFS.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 18:33 Jim K wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Nor my local primary school assures me, can anyone do anything about
******s parking on yellow zig tags outside the school - this is by parents
at drop off & pick up times FFS.

Jim K

Our lollypop lady cuts their balls off, metaphorically. Gawd help anyone who
does that here!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 18:33, Jim K wrote:
Nor my local primary school assures me, can anyone do anything about ******s parking on yellow zig tags outside the school - this is by parents at drop off & pick up times FFS.

Didn't one of our political leaders state recently that councils should
NOT use their traffic enforcement camera vehicles to obtain evidence for
this type of illegal parking.

Around my way the "parent" campaigners have succeeded in getting 24/365
20mph speed limits and road humps around most of the schools.

If you go past most of them at school run time it's the same parents
parked on crossings, double parked in the road, parked on pavements etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:13:48 +0100, alan wrote:

Around my way the "parent" campaigners have succeeded in getting 24/365
20mph speed limits and road humps around most of the schools.

If you go past most of them at school run time it's the same parents
parked on crossings, double parked in the road, parked on pavements etc.

They're merely demonstrating the need...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 22:19:42 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football

match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low
emmission bay or the mother and child bay?

Since you won't have drunk the beer yet, the low emmisions zone
sounds fine ;-)

I have Adam down a lager drinker rather than Draught Bass. B-)

John Smiths:-) I am not a lager drinker.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:14:59 +0100, Another John wrote:

I'm not talking about yellow lines, I'm talking about double-yellows.
Blue badge holders often park in our local town on the doubles, thus
effectively blocking one side of the street for anything bigger than
another car -- for example a fire engine, or an ambulance. Not to
mention the sheer, simple, buggeration caused to all ordinary car users.

They do that outside the Co-op here. There is a carpark right next to
it and I think in the 13 odd years we have lived here I can count on
the fingers of one hand the number of times there hasn't been spaces
free in it... Lazy, inconsiderate gits.

A year or so back I did a FOE request to the local council about when
traffic wardens had visited over the previous 12 months. They only
visit when the single yellow lines are active (Easter to October ish)
and then only a couple of days a month. So who enforces the double
yellows? No one... The Police don't do it unless there is a serious
obstruction and then only reluctantly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:36:17 +0100, GB wrote:

Well, it's technically a parent and child bay - so borrow the

sprog.

Or take a parent ...

I've parked in "Parent & Child" bays when I used to take my Blue
Badge holding 80+ year old father shopping and all the Blue Badge
bays were taken.

I can't do that, as I'm an orphan. Sniff.

I can't any more either.

Though it does just say "Parent & Child" so as I'm a parent and
*anybody* else is a child (of some one) ...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:42:27 +0100, charles wrote:

My father had a Blue Badge early on beacuse he was registered

blind,
one eye and that had a cateract. With only one eye the "bad

outcome"
risk of having the cateract removed was significantly higher than
some one with a "spare" eye. At that time he was just a "nice old
gentleman" but he could barely see if there was any bright light
about. As he got older mobilty became more of a problem and for
anything over 50 yds he did use a wheelchair.

presumably he didn't drive a car?

Not for a good few years before he got the Blue Badge. The Blue Badge
is for the person not a particular car so I don't understand the
relevancy of your question. If I took him shopping we'd have the Blue
Badge in my car, if my sister took him it would be in her car.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:51:25 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

If any supermarket would convert *all* their spaces to wide bays, I'd
shop there to avoid trolley dings and handbag scratches on my car.

Not a problem out in the sticks, supermarket carpark bays are sized
for Landrovers. Also as Landrovers have the turning circle of a dead
whale, the roadways between the rows are wider.

Occasionally I visit supermarkets in suburbia and the space available
is noticeably tighter. Really bad ones need a three point turn to get
out of a bay with only 9" clearance each side, that's clearance to
the car either side not to the line.

Bonus marks if they'd get rid of the immigrant workers offering to drag
a damp, gritty rag over the paintwork ...

Must be another feature of suburbian supermarket carparks, the
carwashes on such car parks around here use pressure washers and
vacuum cleaners.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Oct 2013 13:26:26 GMT, Huge wrote:

If any supermarket would convert *all* their spaces to wide bays,

I'd
shop there to avoid trolley dings and handbag scratches on my

car.

Costco! Not your average supermarket, I agree...

Not the one in Milton Keynes. The spaces there are standard Euro size.

Gosh that does surprise me. All the Costco's I have visited could
almost have come out of the same mould, from the wide parking bays to
where abouts the goods are on the racking. Streetview does confirm
the lack of wide bays.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 15:48 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and around
traffic.

Colin Bignell

Yes - but that takes time and is not really a valid assumption for
kids some-small-age.

And supermarket car parks are full of morons/old biddies/other
dangerous sods.

So is the rest of the country:-)

The most concentrated piece of bad and dangerous group parking is outside a
school when the Mums park up (by park up I mean just leave the car where it
stops)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Oct 2013 11:05:10 GMT, Huge wrote:

Costco, though not quite a supermarket.
Spaces wide enough for American cars containing Americans.

Not in the UK.

99% sure that Haydock and Manchester do. Gateshead definitely has
wide bays.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 19:13, alan wrote:
On 16/10/2013 18:33, Jim K wrote:
Nor my local primary school assures me, can anyone do anything about
******s parking on yellow zig tags outside the school - this is by
parents at drop off & pick up times FFS.

Didn't one of our political leaders state recently that councils should
NOT use their traffic enforcement camera vehicles to obtain evidence for
this type of illegal parking....

The question is whether it is illegal. The Highway Code suggests that it
is covered by the Road Traffic Regulation Act, but the sections
mentioned require there to be a Traffic Order in place. However, the
Road Signs Regulations and General Directions do not seem to require a
traffic order for school entrance markings to be placed.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 20:14, ARW wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 15:48 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and around
traffic.

Colin Bignell

Yes - but that takes time and is not really a valid assumption for
kids some-small-age.

And supermarket car parks are full of morons/old biddies/other
dangerous sods.

So is the rest of the country:-)

The most concentrated piece of bad and dangerous group parking is outside a
school when the Mums park up (by park up I mean just leave the car where it
stops)

When I were a lad, we simply walked to and from school. While at
infant's school, there would be a parent (not necessarily our own)
waiting to see us across the busiest roads, but the others we crossed on
our own. From primary school onwards, we were left to our own devices,
although with strong warnings about not talking to strangers and never
getting into a car.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 20:14 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The most concentrated piece of bad and dangerous group parking is outside
a school when the Mums park up (by park up I mean just leave the car where
it stops)

You mean the 3rd official method of parking: crab into the kerb until
something goes "crunch" indicating successful parking?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 20:45 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

When I were a lad, we simply walked to and from school. While at
infant's school, there would be a parent (not necessarily our own)
waiting to see us across the busiest roads, but the others we crossed on
our own. From primary school onwards, we were left to our own devices,
although with strong warnings about not talking to strangers and never
getting into a car.

Colin Bignell

Off topic, here's a piccy I found of my old school (now demolished):

http://www.bansteadvillage.com/picture/number19.asp

(we ate lunch in that nissan hut). It was cooked at the middle school and
bussed down in an SCC van, so the custard was congeald and *really* lumpy by
the time we got it. Someone always puked in the queue outside that hut so
the playground was littered with little piles of sawdust.

And here's our school Xmas play:

http://www.bansteadvillage.com/picture/number108.asp

I would have been 8. I should be in there somewhere - but as everyone had
pudding bowl haircuts, I'm not entirely sure! I might also be hiding - I
hated plays!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Off topic, here's a piccy I found of my old school (now demolished):

http://www.bansteadvillage.com/picture/number19.asp

(we ate lunch in that nissan hut).

It's not a nissan hut, unless you kept an early Japanese car in it. You
mean a Nissen hut... and it's not one of those either because they have a
more or less semicircular cross-section. They must have been a nightmare to
use with the weird sloping walls.

There's a famous one in Orkney which was decorated by Italian POWs in WWII:
http://www.visitscotland.com/info/se...chapel-p253741

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 21:19 Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote in uk.d-
i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:

Off topic, here's a piccy I found of my old school (now demolished):

http://www.bansteadvillage.com/picture/number19.asp

(we ate lunch in that nissan hut).

It's not a nissan hut, unless you kept an early Japanese car in it. You
mean a Nissen hut... and it's not one of those either because they have a
more or less semicircular cross-section. They must have been a nightmare
to use with the weird sloping walls.

Ok - so green tin hut. But it was cold and teh windows were running with
condensation and the dinner ladies beat us if we did not eat our liver and
bacon.

There's a famous one in Orkney which was decorated by Italian POWs in
WWII: http://www.visitscotland.com/info/se...chapel-p253741

That is a bit fancy!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim
K writes
Nor my local primary school assures me, can anyone do anything about
******s parking on yellow zig tags outside the school - this is by
parents at drop off & pick up times FFS.

Jim K

They the absolute worst most inconsiderate drivers ever - and then have
the nerve to complain about others.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan
writes
On 16/10/2013 18:33, Jim K wrote:
Nor my local primary school assures me, can anyone do anything about
******s parking on yellow zig tags outside the school - this is by
parents at drop off & pick up times FFS.

Didn't one of our political leaders state recently that councils should
NOT use their traffic enforcement camera vehicles to obtain evidence
for this type of illegal parking.

Around my way the "parent" campaigners have succeeded in getting 24/365
20mph speed limits and road humps around most of the schools.

Ours are only at school start and end times - when it is impossible to
do anything like 20 mph because of all the parents parked cars.
If you go past most of them at school run time it's the same parents
parked on crossings, double parked in the road, parked on pavements etc.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:44:29 +0100, ARW wrote:

Since you won't have drunk the beer yet, the low emmisions zone
sounds fine ;-)

I have Adam down a lager drinker rather than Draught Bass. B-)

John Smiths:-) I am not a lager drinker.

Well it's not lager but is it beer?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

And yes I am a **** - but I would never park in a disabled bay unless I had
a disabled passenger. And AC asked "See if there is a bay marked "**** with
Parking Envy". Well I do not envy anyone who requires a disabled badge or
has to help someone with a disabled badge. I just do not see the point of
the other two types of parking bays.

About the only time the "with children" ones are useful is when they are
of an age where you need to lift the whole car seat in and out with baby
inside. Then the ability to open the doors wide is handy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-16, charles wrote:

The Mother and toddler bays tend to be wider, this allowing a mother to
open a back door fully so that she can get the child out safely. [for
mother read father if relevant]

So what? She should have thought of that before she popped it out.

Probably did - downside, stretch marks and sleepless night, but a plus,
I can park closer to the shop!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 19:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Round here, at either end of the parallel road, we have a primary school
and only a quarter mile away, a hospital. Every day the traffic wardens
target the parking spaces on the road outside the hospital, booking
people who are in marked parking places, but have overstayed due to late
running appointments, etc. Meanwhile, parents parking for the two
schools make it impossible to pull safely out of either end of our road
due their parking right up to (and even partly round) the junctions,
blocking any view of traffic trying to enter or leave the junctions.
Despite contacting the council, the wardens continue to target the safe,
but unavoidably detained patients and carers, while ignoring the
dangerously parked parents. The two places are just about visible from
each other!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 10:01, Nightjar wrote:
On 16/10/2013 09:50, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 09:29 Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission
bay or the mother and child bay?

Good one Adam.

(1) Thing is: what can they do to you if you just ignore these priggish
reservations?

(2)
rant
Never heard of "low emission bays" (WTF!!???), no sympathy whatsoever
with "Mother and Child Bays" (awwwwwwwww!!!!),

Parent and child bays are to protect *you*. Think about it - parent, 3
kids
all piling out of the car, feet kicking against doors. Where do you think
the edge of that door goes? Yes - into a nice little dent on *your* door.

If so, why are they nearest to the shop doors and not out of everybody
else's way on the far side of the car park?

Colin Bignell

It makes sense to have them close to the shop, as in most cases
pedestrians must walk along the car park roadways, while trying to
protect their children from drivers that suddenly reverse out without
looking. Being close minimises the distance that parents must try to
escort children, in many cases too short to be seen when behind a car,
while both hands are occupied steering the shopping trolley.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-16, charles wrote:

The Mother and toddler bays tend to be wider, this allowing a
mother to
open a back door fully so that she can get the child out safely. [for
mother read father if relevant]

So what? She should have thought of that before she popped it out.

Probably did - downside, stretch marks and sleepless night, but a plus,
I can park closer to the shop!

and get a flat on the social.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 21:43, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:44:29 +0100, ARW wrote:

Since you won't have drunk the beer yet, the low emmisions zone
sounds fine ;-)

I have Adam down a lager drinker rather than Draught Bass. B-)

John Smiths:-) I am not a lager drinker.

Well it's not lager but is it beer?

Not as we know it Jim.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SteveW wrote:
It makes sense to have them close to the shop, as in most cases
pedestrians must walk along the car park roadways, while trying to
protect their children from drivers that suddenly reverse out without
looking.

Just make sure your trolley is at the front. Great fun when they reverse
into that.

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Park homes stuart noble UK diy 7 September 25th 10 03:27 PM
stuck in park Karl Townsend Metalworking 34 May 25th 10 09:48 PM
Park Bench Greg O Woodworking 11 July 10th 06 09:00 PM
Shedd Park Charlie S. Home Repair 1 September 1st 05 02:39 AM
Park Marking Help Lane Metalworking 10 February 3rd 05 04:11 AM