Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Where to park?

On Thursday 17 October 2013 11:05 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
SteveW wrote:
It makes sense to have them close to the shop, as in most cases
pedestrians must walk along the car park roadways, while trying to
protect their children from drivers that suddenly reverse out without
looking.

Just make sure your trolley is at the front. Great fun when they reverse
into that.

I had some numpty reverse into my car the other side of the driveway!

Seeing as he could hardly deny it (I was stationary and flashing my lights
at him because I could see it coming!) he settled in cash for apaint job.

If he couldn't see a bloody big red car, what chance did a kid have? Not an
old bloke either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it technically a drink? Certainly not an enjoyable one IMHO...

Er.... Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , SteveW
writes
On 16/10/2013 10:01, Nightjar wrote:
On 16/10/2013 09:50, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 09:29 Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission
bay or the mother and child bay?

Good one Adam.

(1) Thing is: what can they do to you if you just ignore these priggish
reservations?

(2)
rant
Never heard of "low emission bays" (WTF!!???), no sympathy whatsoever
with "Mother and Child Bays" (awwwwwwwww!!!!),

Parent and child bays are to protect *you*. Think about it - parent, 3
kids
all piling out of the car, feet kicking against doors. Where do you think
the edge of that door goes? Yes - into a nice little dent on *your* door.

If so, why are they nearest to the shop doors and not out of everybody
else's way on the far side of the car park?

Colin Bignell

It makes sense to have them close to the shop, as in most cases
pedestrians must walk along the car park roadways, while trying to
protect their children from drivers that suddenly reverse out without
looking. Being close minimises the distance that parents must try to
escort children, in many cases too short to be seen when behind a car,
while both hands are occupied steering the shopping trolley.

SteveW

Local Sainbury's has clearly marked walkways protected by bollards all
across the car park - but the mother/baby slots are still next to the
doors.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

SteveW wrote:
It makes sense to have them close to the shop, as in most cases
pedestrians must walk along the car park roadways, while trying to
protect their children from drivers that suddenly reverse out without
looking.

Just make sure your trolley is at the front. Great fun when they reverse
into that.

I had some numpty reverse into my car the other side of the driveway!

Seeing as he could hardly deny it (I was stationary and flashing my lights
at him because I could see it coming!) he settled in cash for apaint job.

If he couldn't see a bloody big red car, what chance did a kid have? Not an
old bloke either.

Many new hatchbacks seem to have very poor rear visibility. I was
loaned a Civic R type the other day and could hardly see a thing.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:53:56 +0100, bert wrote:

Local Sainbury's has clearly marked walkways protected by bollards all
across the car park - but the mother/baby slots are still next to the
doors.

Don't think I've come across any carpark that has that down the
center of every double row of bays. Some have marked walkway areas
along the road ways, like a bit of paint on the road is going to stop
a car...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2013 17:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:53:56 +0100, bert wrote:

Local Sainbury's has clearly marked walkways protected by bollards all
across the car park - but the mother/baby slots are still next to the
doors.

Don't think I've come across any carpark that has that down the
center of every double row of bays. Some have marked walkway areas
along the road ways, like a bit of paint on the road is going to stop
a car...

Locally, Tesco, Waitrose and Asda have one or more walkways protected by
bollards or raised kerbs. Morrisons have a walkway with trees lining it,
although they would not provide complete protection from encroaching
cars. Sainsbury's has painted walkways. Lidl lets you fend for yourself
among the traffic, but provides bollards to protect their trolley racks
and the immediate area around the entrance.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2013 17:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:53:56 +0100, bert wrote:

Local Sainbury's has clearly marked walkways protected by bollards all
across the car park - but the mother/baby slots are still next to the
doors.

Don't think I've come across any carpark that has that down the
center of every double row of bays. Some have marked walkway areas
along the road ways, like a bit of paint on the road is going to stop
a car...

Our local Morrisons does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 20:15:13 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Costco, though not quite a supermarket.
Spaces wide enough for American cars containing Americans.

Not in the UK.

99% sure that Haydock and Manchester do. Gateshead definitely has
wide bays.

For Transits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 08:55:39 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

Wasn't with mine we never had a car, makes me wonder how we didn't stave to death.

Stick with it, then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Wasn't with mine we never had a car, makes me wonder how we didn't stave
to death.

Stick with it, then.

I can see any other comments paling into insignificance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

wrote:

Wasn't with mine we never had a car, makes me wonder how we didn't stave
to death.

Stick with it, then.

I can see any other comments paling into insignificance.

Can't strand all this railing against other motorists.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert ] wrote:

Can't strand all this railing against other motorists.

Are you going to take of-fence?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ARW" wrote in message
I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low
emmission bay or the mother and child bay?

Good one Adam.

(1) Thing is: what can they do to you if you just ignore these
priggish reservations?

(2)
rant
Never heard of "low emission bays" (WTF!!???), no sympathy whatsoever
with "Mother and Child Bays" (awwwwwwwww!!!!),

Parent and child bays are to protect *you*. Think about it - parent,
3 kids all piling out of the car, feet kicking against doors. Where
do you think the edge of that door goes? Yes - into a nice little
dent on *your* door.

3 kids? They are all 4x4s around here.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Nightjar wrote:
On 16/10/2013 20:14, ARW wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 15:48 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and
around traffic.

Colin Bignell

Yes - but that takes time and is not really a valid assumption for
kids some-small-age.

And supermarket car parks are full of morons/old biddies/other
dangerous sods.

So is the rest of the country:-)

The most concentrated piece of bad and dangerous group parking is
outside a school when the Mums park up (by park up I mean just leave
the car where it stops)

When I were a lad, we simply walked to and from school. While at
infant's school, there would be a parent (not necessarily our own)
waiting to see us across the busiest roads, but the others we crossed
on our own. From primary school onwards, we were left to our own
devices, although with strong warnings about not talking to strangers
and never getting into a car.

That sounds quite familiar (not that our village had many busy roads to
cross, well there was the A628 but there are very few houses at the other
side of that)

And that is my biggest complaint about the gf. She still walks or drives her
son to school (she needs the car if she is working mornings). FFS the lad
has just turned 10. When challenged I was told that that is now the normal
thing to do and that ALL parents still do that.

Was this the warning about strangers:-)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85UlWqk-YKI
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:09:31 +0100, bert wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes

wrote:

Wasn't with mine we never had a car, makes me wonder how we didn't
stave to death.

Stick with it, then.

I can see any other comments paling into insignificance.

Can't strand all this railing against other motorists.

It's become a very substantial thread now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 16/10/2013 20:14, ARW wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

at 7, I took the bus to school - with quite along walk to the stop. At 10,
I was allowed to us the tram (much nearer), which involved a change.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2013 20:13, ARW wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

When I were a lad, we simply walked to and from school. While at
infant's school, there would be a parent (not necessarily our own)
waiting to see us across the busiest roads, but the others we crossed
on our own. From primary school onwards, we were left to our own
devices, although with strong warnings about not talking to strangers
and never getting into a car.

That sounds quite familiar (not that our village had many busy roads to
cross, well there was the A628 but there are very few houses at the other
side of that)

I lived in London, so we had a few busy roads in the area.

And that is my biggest complaint about the gf. She still walks or drives her
son to school (she needs the car if she is working mornings). FFS the lad
has just turned 10. When challenged I was told that that is now the normal
thing to do and that ALL parents still do that.

That is probably more about peer pressure. Anyone who does not pamper
their children that way is seen by others as being a bad parent.

Was this the warning about strangers:-)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85UlWqk-YKI

:-) Much too sophisticated. My parents simply told me and expected me to
obey.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2013 09:29, Another John wrote:
I'm sympathetic to the idea of blue badge bays --- but not when I see
some of the "disabled" types getting out of their cars, or when I see
people using what is clearly someone else's badge.

There are many reasons for blue badges which might not be at all
detectable by simply watching someone get out of their car. Of course,
the number of reasons does not necessarily mean vast hordes of people
who may be entitled - many of them are extremely rare. (Abuse of blue
badges, however, severely undermines what is of great benefit to those
who really need them.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and around
traffic.

Colin Bignell

Yes but horses and carts don't go anything like as fast as motor cars.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

(we ate lunch in that nissan hut).

We had Hawser huts at our school. In one of them lurked a young male
teacher who was a sadist and worse. The huts had stoves that got very
hot and those who misbehaved were made to stand between the stove and
the nearby wall until they were crying with pain. He did other bad
things which I won't dwell on. After all these years I still find the
memory disturbing.

One day he disappeared from our lives. No explanation was ever
forthcoming. When we asked about him we were stonewalled.

Forty years later that teacher was convicted of the sexual molestation
of children at a school in another county and sent to jail.

Presumably schools had been quietly moving him on for all those years.
Isn't that appalling?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

at 7, I took the bus to school - with quite along walk to the stop. At 10,
I was allowed to us the tram (much nearer), which involved a change.

We were supposed to use our own school bus but sometimes we used to blag
a ride on the 'nutter bus' which was really only for special school pupils.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 20 October 2013 14:14 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:

(we ate lunch in that nissan hut).

We had Hawser huts at our school. In one of them lurked a young male
teacher who was a sadist and worse. The huts had stoves that got very
hot and those who misbehaved were made to stand between the stove and
the nearby wall until they were crying with pain. He did other bad
things which I won't dwell on. After all these years I still find the
memory disturbing.

One day he disappeared from our lives. No explanation was ever
forthcoming. When we asked about him we were stonewalled.

Forty years later that teacher was convicted of the sexual molestation
of children at a school in another county and sent to jail.

Presumably schools had been quietly moving him on for all those years.
Isn't that appalling?

Bill

Sounds like priests and TV celebs.

Yes - it is disturbing, how something which is treated like medieval
witchcraft now could have been "tolerated" only 30-40 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2013 13:59, Bill Wright wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and around
traffic.

Colin Bignell

Yes but horses and carts don't go anything like as fast as motor cars.

In late Victorian London, the average speed of traffic was 10 mph. In
2008, the average speed of traffic in central London was 10 mph.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7327651.stm

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and around
traffic.

Colin Bignell

Yes but horses and carts don't go anything like as fast as motor cars.

In late Victorian London, the average speed of traffic was 10 mph.

And the stopping distance was rubbish.

In
2008, the average speed of traffic in central London was 10 mph.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7327651.stm

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 16/10/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And this is my problem how, exactly?

It was your problem (or your mother's) when you were 5 ish.

One that my mother solved by teaching me how to behave in and around
traffic.

Colin Bignell

Yes but horses and carts don't go anything like as fast as motor cars.

In late Victorian London, the average speed of traffic was 10 mph. In
2008, the average speed of traffic in central London was 10 mph.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7327651.stm

Colin Bignell

However, there were far fewer vehicles on London's roads in Victorian times.

(Recent question on QI)

Park homes stuart noble UK diy 7 September 25th 10 03:27 PM
stuck in park Karl Townsend Metalworking 34 May 25th 10 09:48 PM
Park Bench Greg O Woodworking 11 July 10th 06 09:00 PM
Shedd Park Charlie S. Home Repair 1 September 1st 05 02:39 AM
Park Marking Help Lane Metalworking 10 February 3rd 05 04:11 AM