Lane

Default Park Marking Help

I work for a small shop that makes aircraft parts. What they are using for
part marking is a little hand held rubber stamp thing that holds a couple of
lines of individual letters and numbers. It is time consuming and tedious,
you have to use tweezers in set each character. There has got to be
something better.

We do quantities from 1 to a few dozen, but sometimes as many as 50, which
is rare. I found the hand stenciler that McMaster has on page 1752. Is this
a good set to use? Anyone have any other recommendations?

Lane

carl mciver

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message
| I work for a small shop that makes aircraft parts. What they are using for
| part marking is a little hand held rubber stamp thing that holds a couple
of
| lines of individual letters and numbers. It is time consuming and tedious,
| you have to use tweezers in set each character. There has got to be
| something better.
|
| We do quantities from 1 to a few dozen, but sometimes as many as 50, which
| is rare. I found the hand stenciler that McMaster has on page 1752. Is
this
| a good set to use? Anyone have any other recommendations?
|
| Lane

I used to work briefly for a company called Imaje Ink Jet. French
company, now part of Marsh(?) or something like that, but they do ink jet
printing for commercial and industrial stuff, from the code on your soda pop
to the part numbers printed on the tools you might buy, in all shapes and
fonts. I watched the lab custom mark golf balls for some event. Very cool.
They have a poster that shows a red headed little girl with a huge pink
bubble gum bubble, and a sort of scared look on her face. Company log is
printed ON the bubble. Not cheap, of course, but non-contact printing is
the way to go when it comes to odd shaped parts. You can program the
printer with the text or even custom characters, wave the part in front of
the head (or vice versa,) and voila, its done. Very low maintenance and the
ease of use is well worth the effort. They have US competitors, too.

I also know that a fine point ultrapermanent sharpie meets BAC
requirements!

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message
I work for a small shop that makes aircraft parts. What they are using for
part marking is a little hand held rubber stamp thing that holds a couple

of
lines of individual letters and numbers. It is time consuming and tedious,
you have to use tweezers in set each character. There has got to be
something better.

We do quantities from 1 to a few dozen, but sometimes as many as 50, which
is rare. I found the hand stenciler that McMaster has on page 1752. Is

this
a good set to use? Anyone have any other recommendations?

Lane

You can use one of those hand markers that have belts of numbers and
characters in rows, with narrow wheels located between each belt of
characters, which rotates it, lining up the proper sequence. I used them
for years when stamping part numbers on items made for the aero-space and
defense industry. You might check with any shop that makes hand stamps.
They usually carry them. I used both methods and was much happier with the
tool I speak of.

Harold

carl mciver

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message
| I work for a small shop that makes aircraft parts. What they are using for
| part marking is a little hand held rubber stamp thing that holds a couple
of
| lines of individual letters and numbers. It is time consuming and tedious,
| you have to use tweezers in set each character. There has got to be
| something better.
|
| We do quantities from 1 to a few dozen, but sometimes as many as 50, which
| is rare. I found the hand stenciler that McMaster has on page 1752. Is
this
| a good set to use? Anyone have any other recommendations?
|
| Lane

Forgot to add these:
http://www.codershack.net/
http://www.jetec.com/ink_jet.html

Lane

"carl mciver" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message
| I work for a small shop that makes aircraft parts. What they are using
for
| part marking is a little hand held rubber stamp thing that holds a
couple
of
| lines of individual letters and numbers. It is time consuming and
tedious,
| you have to use tweezers in set each character. There has got to be
| something better.
|
| We do quantities from 1 to a few dozen, but sometimes as many as 50,
which
| is rare. I found the hand stenciler that McMaster has on page 1752. Is
this
| a good set to use? Anyone have any other recommendations?
|
| Lane

Forgot to add these:
http://www.codershack.net/
http://www.jetec.com/ink_jet.html

Carl, thanks for the info, but it just isn't going to happen. We need a
manual (read that as cheap, inexpensive) system.

Lane

Bruce L. Bergman

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:50:28 -0800, "Lane" lane (no spam) at
copperaccents dot com wrote:

I work for a small shop that makes aircraft parts. What they are using for
part marking is a little hand held rubber stamp thing that holds a couple of
lines of individual letters and numbers. It is time consuming and tedious,
you have to use tweezers in set each character. There has got to be
something better.

We do quantities from 1 to a few dozen, but sometimes as many as 50, which
is rare. I found the hand stenciler that McMaster has on page 1752. Is this
a good set to use? Anyone have any other recommendations?

One of our customers has a slightly better way to do it - they have
an old-style miniature letterset printing press, sized for postcards
or business cards. You get a tray of printers' type and set your
text, justify it in the type frame and put it the press. Or if you
know a print shop in the area with a Linotype you could have them
hot-set all your part numbers on slugs for you.

Rather than printing on paper, the little press has a rubber blanket
on the printing platen, along with an alignment ledge for the part.
You cycle the press to ink the type, the platen closes and transfers
the ink to the blanket. Then you line up and press the part to the
blanket to transfer the ink and mark it.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Eregon

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in
:

Carl, thanks for the info, but it just isn't going to happen. We need
a manual (read that as cheap, inexpensive) system.

Lane

Try taking a look at http://www.dymo.com, especially at
http://global.dymo.com/enUS/Products/LabelWriter_330_Turbo.html.
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:50:28 -0800, Lane wrote:
I work for a small shop that makes aircraft parts. What they are using for
part marking is a little hand held rubber stamp thing that holds a couple of
lines of individual letters and numbers. It is time consuming and tedious,
you have to use tweezers in set each character. There has got to be
something better.

When I was doing FAA/PMA manufacturing and design work, we had the stamps
also. We bought library-type stampers where the digits are on a band,
up and around, that you change to be whatever it needs to be. Worked
pretty well, and the FAA didn't have a problem with it.

We do quantities from 1 to a few dozen, but sometimes as many as 50, which
is rare. I found the hand stenciler that McMaster has on page 1752. Is this
a good set to use? Anyone have any other recommendations?

Talk to the folks you buy your stamp ink from, they should have a source.
http://www.aplusstamps.com/aplus-cart/date-stamps.php
shows kind of what I mean, but with a longer loop of numbers/letters
rather than a wheel. Clear as mud?

Dave Hinz
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

In the past, I've combined the parts of three outdated date
stamps (one band for month, one band for year, and two bands for
day-of-month) into a single six-digit stamp. You might try this with
*new* stamps if you can't find one locally with individual digits all
the way across.

And when I worked for a company named "Melpar", many years ago,
the best ink for marking components of mil-spec projects turned out to
be a production of another branch of the company. It was called
"Mel-ink", and was an epoxy which was mixed just before application, and
rolled onto a sheet of glass prior to transfer via the stamps. (You had
to wash the glass off before it cured, or toss the glass. :-)

A quick web search shows it to no longer be available under that
name, but it did find the following:

http://www.acemarking.com/inkinfo.htm

which includes some epoxy-based inks. They will also happily sell you
just about any kind of stamping tool as well.

There are probably others, but finding one was sufficient for my
purposes. Feel free to search on:

epoxy based inks

if you want to find more.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Lane

"Eregon" wrote in message
Try taking a look at http://www.dymo.com, especially at
http://global.dymo.com/enUS/Products/LabelWriter_330_Turbo.html.

Nope, can't be a label, rather has to be inked directly onto the part.

Lane

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
When I was doing FAA/PMA manufacturing and design work, we had the stamps
also. We bought library-type stampers where the digits are on a band,
up and around, that you change to be whatever it needs to be. Worked
pretty well, and the FAA didn't have a problem with it.

Talk to the folks you buy your stamp ink from, they should have a source.
http://www.aplusstamps.com/aplus-cart/date-stamps.php
shows kind of what I mean, but with a longer loop of numbers/letters
rather than a wheel. Clear as mud?

Dave Hinz

Good idea, will persue.
Thanks