Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default OT Where to park?

alan wrote:

On 15/10/2013 19:31, ARW wrote:

I need to get some beer in before the England Poland football match.

Now the question. Should I park in the disabled bay, the low emmission bay
or the mother and child bay?

Park in the bay nearest to where you want to go.

One of the smaller supermarkets local to me has converted around half
the car park to mother and child very wide bays. The result is that the
car park is often full and people are starting to shop elsewhere.

My offspring lives near a shopping centre that has ~1000 parking
spaces. The staff of the supermarket complained that
they had to compete with customers for parking places. The solution
was to put notices on a section of the car park saying it was for
staff permit holders only. It was enforced by a fat dragon of a woman,
who accosted myself and SWMBO one day while walking along the footpath
that edged this area, and berated us for having parked there. We were
in fact walking back to where we were staying, and hadn't come by
car.

This situation didn't last long and the fat dragon was seen no more.
However, the permit-only car park was as far from the supermarket as
it was possible to get, and the staff got fed up of being rained on
and so resumed parking with the customers.

The result is that this permit-only section of the car park now stands
empty as customers won't risk disobeying the signs (£80 penalty),
staff won't use it, and so some 10% of the total space has been
lost.

The restriction notices originally said something about the marked
bays, but none were marked and so I parked there hoping to get a
ticket I could contest, but they then changed the wording. Now it is
just a waste of space.

--
Terry Fields