Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cars still a bit ****e

In article ,
charles wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

and the majority of into-London commuters use the train, anyway.

Mr Firth, of course, is being his usual slippery self.

The snag with the figure you've given is you'd need to define London. And
commuter.

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 06:51:26 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 19:55:10 +0100, "harryagain"

wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Incidentally what is the purpose behind buying a car and renting a
battery? Does that mean you can actually rent several batteries and
leave
one at home while driving on the other one?
Or do they expect them to pack up so early they need to keep renewing
them, a bit like 1970s Colour TVs?

It's so the up front cost of the car is reduced.
An inducement to buy.

They are massively expensive and universally have **** poor performance.

I cansee you have never driven one.

I've probably driven more of them than you.

So talking out of your arse.
Everybody who has ridden in mine wants one.

Then they must be senile. Put them in a Dacia Sandero and see their eyes light
up at the outstanding performance, economy, convenience, space, comfort and
stunning good looks.

You realise what ****e the ICE is.

If electric was so good they'd be queuing down the road at the dealerships.
They aren't, and never will be until massive advancements are made in storage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 04:20:29 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But to others, it might suggest the property is situated where land is
cheap...

No such thing as cheap land that has planning perm in the UK, thanks to
the immigrants.

Yes all those Romans, Anglo Saxons and Viikings. Deport them all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:21:05 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Nuclear waste is after all a term invented by CND and greenpeace, and
simply applied to anything that looks at them funny.

F*ck me I must be nuclear waste then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

We need Heinlein's Shipstone storage battery. I believe it contains
unobtanium.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 13/08/2013 11:27, Steve Firth wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

Most of them live outside London and drive to a nearby location to work.
No mention was made of driving into London to work.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

and the majority of into-London commuters use the train, anyway.

Mr Firth, of course, is being his usual slippery self.

The snag with the figure you've given is you'd need to define London. And
commuter.

One recent definition of London I have seen is anything south and east
of a line drawn from the Wash to the Severn Estuary.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

and the majority of into-London commuters use the train, anyway.

Mr Firth, of course, is being his usual slippery self.

The snag with the figure you've given is you'd need to define London. And
commuter.

One recent definition of London I have seen is anything south and east
of a line drawn from the Wash to the Severn Estuary.

So you'd include Bristol in London, then?

One that I often use is "Inside the M25".

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nightjar
In article , charles
wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

and the majority of into-London commuters use the train, anyway.

Mr Firth, of course, is being his usual slippery self.

The snag with the figure you've given is you'd need to define London.
And commuter.

One recent definition of London I have seen is anything south and east
of a line drawn from the Wash to the Severn Estuary.

but to quote Flanders & Swann regarding the London Borough reorganisation
of th '70s: You put all the boroughs south of the Thames together and call
them "Brighton".

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

and the majority of into-London commuters use the train, anyway.

Mr Firth, of course, is being his usual slippery self.

The snag with the figure you've given is you'd need to define London. And
commuter.

One recent definition of London I have seen is anything south and east
of a line drawn from the Wash to the Severn Estuary.

So you'd include Bristol in London, then?

Bristol and Brighton are London. Bristolians even have that funny cockernee
accent.

One that I often use is "Inside the M25".

Well that's the worst bit.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 15:00, John Williamson wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

and the majority of into-London commuters use the train, anyway.

Mr Firth, of course, is being his usual slippery self.

The snag with the figure you've given is you'd need to define London.
And
commuter.

One recent definition of London I have seen is anything south and east
of a line drawn from the Wash to the Severn Estuary.

So you'd include Bristol in London, then?

Blame the Great Western Railway for that.

One that I often use is "Inside the M25".

Valid for certain definitions of London. The one I quoted claimed that
anywhere in that area was sufficiently close to London in travel time to
be considered as part of its commuter belt.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/13 13:16, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 13/08/13 07:52, Andy Burns wrote:

If the laser generates heat by alpha and beta decay

..and a lot of high energy neutrons IIRC that can transmute anything
they hit.

article says no neutron decay.

that doesnt mean a lot. any fission of thorium will produce some
radioactive bits and pieces. The advantage is that mainly they are short
lived, useless to terrorists and easily shielded. It doesn't mean there
aren't any though.

But essentially the mass of waste - esp high level waste so called - is
vastly reduced.

especially as each car only starts with 8g of Thorium, amazing to get
a 200,000 mile 'life' out of it

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 13/08/2013 15:00, John Williamson wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

and the majority of into-London commuters use the train, anyway.

Mr Firth, of course, is being his usual slippery self.

The snag with the figure you've given is you'd need to define London.
And
commuter.

One recent definition of London I have seen is anything south and east
of a line drawn from the Wash to the Severn Estuary.

So you'd include Bristol in London, then?

Blame the Great Western Railway for that.

One that I often use is "Inside the M25".

Valid for certain definitions of London. The one I quoted claimed that
anywhere in that area was sufficiently close to London in travel time to
be considered as part of its commuter belt.

I had a colleague who used to commute to London from Cardiff. But,
"anywhere in the area south of a line from the Wash to the Severn estuary"?
How about Penzance?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But to others, it might suggest the property is situated where land is
cheap...

No such thing as cheap land that has planning perm in the UK, thanks to
the immigrants.

Yes all those Romans, Anglo Saxons and Viikings. Deport them all.

No, they are irrelevant because we're talking about the situation now,
not hundreds of years ago. It is of course well known that the
successive waves of immigration in ancient times caused various problems
and unrest. However there's never in the whole of history been the sheer
numbers coming in as there was during the years of unrestricted
immigration as allowed by the last government. Furthermore we've never
had immigrants who include in their ranks many who are alienated from
British culture and the British way of life, and even some who are
prepared to murder our indigenous citizens in cold blood because of
their perverted ideologies.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 16:30, charles wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 13/08/2013 15:00, John Williamson wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
[...]

I would take south and east (not just south) of the line to exclude the
West Country.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 12 August 2013 23:44:39 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Why is it so many here seem to think a tiny percentage of the population
is the norm?

Because when they look at themselves they think they are normal and everyone else is abnormal.

Except for them on here who think they're abnormally clever.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/13 14:43, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Nuclear waste is after all a term invented by CND and greenpeace,

and simply applied to anything that looks at them funny.

F*ck me I must be nuclear waste then.

You are. At least any elements in your body further up the periodic
table than iron will only exist by having been made in a supernova
explosion.

Most fusion in stars stops at carbon I think.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Why?

wrote:

Nuclear waste is after all a term invented by CND and greenpeace, and
simply applied to anything that looks at them funny.

F*ck me I must be nuclear waste then.

we are all nuclear waste.

Not all of us. You may be waste, but I am stardust, I am golden.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 13/08/2013 15:00, John Williamson wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
[...]

How west is the "West Country"? according to some it includes
Gloucestershire - that's Bristol out of London - phew.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-12, Steve Firth wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

Why are you always saying other people are stupid?
Why are people so stupid?
If you're going through life thinking that 'people' are stupid you could
have a little psychological quirk.

Well I don't think animals are stupid. Maybe you should learn something
about stupidity?

http://www.cantrip.org/stupidity.html

Nice.

A friend of mine extended Cipolla's idea and write "The Power of Stupidity"
which is also worth a read. Although he was a tad ****ed off when I pointed
out that basic idea had been hammered out by Henry Kuttner in 1951 with the
story "Day of the Moron".

http://www.gandalf.it/stupid/chapters.htm

Googling "Dunning-Kruger Effect" is illuminating, also.

Heh, without that Usenet would be very different. No Sexually Transmitted
Cole with his grand reforms of UK usenet for a start.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 13/08/13 07:52, Andy Burns wrote:

If the laser generates heat by alpha and beta decay

..and a lot of high energy neutrons IIRC that can transmute anything
they hit.

article says no neutron decay.

But essentially the mass of waste - esp high level waste so called - is
vastly reduced.

especially as each car only starts with 8g of Thorium, amazing to get a
200,000 mile 'life' out of it

If it works. Another straw to grasp at.
Drivel.
So what we then get is heat.
So we raise steam and it is actually a steam car?

Heh, heh. What a load of old ********.
Stop every thirty miles to pick up water?
BTW, do some research as to why steam locmotives never had condensers.
(In anticipation of the drivel)

Amazing how the simple minded are taken in by pseudo-technology.
The usual suspects here of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/13 06:47, harryagain wrote:
So are you saying there are no nuclear waste products?

I certainly can if you want

There are no nuclear waste products. There does that make you happy?
Nuclear waste is after all a term invented by CND and greenpeace, and
simply applied to anything that looks at them funny

You ARE barking mad. Go and take somelithium at once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Anybody that the pinnacle of motoring is the Dacia Sandero needs help.
It's just a Renault built by monkeys and child labour anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 04:20:29 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

But to others, it might suggest the property is situated where land is
cheap...

No such thing as cheap land that has planning perm in the UK, thanks to
the immigrants.

You really are a bit of a short-sighted idiot, aren't you?

No that's about right.
They are all living somewhere.
Pushing up the priceof houses and land.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
In article ,
charles wrote:
Live outside London, drive to work.

Yes I think that describes a majority of the population.

No it isn't. Most of the UK doesn't commute into London.

and the majority of into-London commuters use the train, anyway.

Mr Firth, of course, is being his usual slippery self.

The snag with the figure you've given is you'd need to define London. And
commuter.

One recent definition of London I have seen is anything south and east of
a line drawn from the Wash to the Severn Estuary.

South and East of Watford Gap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:02:59 +0100, harryagain wrote:

But to others, it might suggest the property is situated where land
is cheap...

No such thing as cheap land that has planning perm in the UK, thanks
to the immigrants.

You really are a bit of a short-sighted idiot, aren't you?

No that's about right.
They are all living somewhere.
Pushing up the priceof houses and land.

....and there was me today, looking at a couple of Rightmove ads for well
located building plots with PP for 3-4bed houses, not selling despite
being well £100k, whilst also thinking about the simultaneous thread and
other media coverage talking about whether the gov'ts help-to-buy scheme
was actually working to drag property prices out of the slump they're
in...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
I'd just like to make the point that any electric car that does not have
an alternative means of propulsion once the battery is flat, is
particularly stupid and so were the designers. Unless of course it has a
range of many hundreds of miles.

I never drive "many hundreds of miles."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:07:46 +0100, harryagain wrote:

One recent definition of London I have seen is anything south and east
of a line drawn from the Wash to the Severn Estuary.

South and East of Watford Gap.

Here we have two people who desperately need to be shown a map of the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:11:53 +0100, harryagain wrote:

I never drive "many hundreds of miles."

That explains why your outlook is so narrow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message
I'd just like to make the point that any electric car that does not have
an alternative means of propulsion once the battery is flat, is
particularly stupid and so were the designers. Unless of course it has a
range of many hundreds of miles.

I never drive "many hundreds of miles."

Has no friends [X]
Has no family [X]
No one wants to see him [X]

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

But still better than some shonky battery car. For a start you can actually
get somewhere in a Sandero.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-12, Steve Firth wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

Why are you always saying other people are stupid?
Why are people so stupid?
If you're going through life thinking that 'people' are stupid you could
have a little psychological quirk.

Well I don't think animals are stupid. Maybe you should learn something
about stupidity?

http://www.cantrip.org/stupidity.html

Nice.

A friend of mine extended Cipolla's idea and write "The Power of Stupidity"
which is also worth a read. Although he was a tad ****ed off when I pointed
out that basic idea had been hammered out by Henry Kuttner in 1951 with the
story "Day of the Moron".

Did you mean H. Beam Piper's "Day of the Moron",

Oh bugger yes. I blame age.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Nice. Googling "Dunning-Kruger Effect" is illuminating, also.

BTW, I wonder if you're aware of this:

http://www.mencken.org/text/txt001/m...-jobholder.htm

It seems to fit with your ideas about the management of such things as the
railways.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 16:30, charles wrote:

I had a colleague who used to commute to London from Cardiff. But,
"anywhere in the area south of a line from the Wash to the Severn estuary"?
How about Penzance?

Aberdeen would fit south of a such a line.
Maybe there was a specific line?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 17:51, harryagain wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 13/08/13 07:52, Andy Burns wrote:

If the laser generates heat by alpha and beta decay

..and a lot of high energy neutrons IIRC that can transmute anything
they hit.

article says no neutron decay.

But essentially the mass of waste - esp high level waste so called - is
vastly reduced.

especially as each car only starts with 8g of Thorium, amazing to get a
200,000 mile 'life' out of it

If it works. Another straw to grasp at.
Drivel.
So what we then get is heat.
So we raise steam and it is actually a steam car?

The steam is used to run a turbine, which is used to generate
electricity, so it is actually an electric car. Personally, I would
prefer it to be driven by steam.

Heh, heh. What a load of old ********.
Stop every thirty miles to pick up water?

Only if really badly designed.

BTW, do some research as to why steam locmotives never had condensers.

Apart from those that were built with condensers you mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo...ailway_A_Class
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_A...Class_25_4-8-4

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 18:00, harryagain wrote:
"The Other Mike" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 06:51:26 +0100, "harryagain"

Everybody who has ridden in mine wants one.

Then they must be senile. Put them in a Dacia Sandero and see their eyes
light
up at the outstanding performance, economy, convenience, space, comfort
and
stunning good looks.

Anybody that the pinnacle of motoring is the Dacia Sandero needs help.
It's just a Renault built by monkeys and child labour anyway.

Wooooosh

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

...and there was me today, looking at a couple of Rightmove ads for well
located building plots with PP for 3-4bed houses, not selling despite
being well £100k, whilst also thinking about the simultaneous thread and
other media coverage talking about whether the gov'ts help-to-buy scheme
was actually working to drag property prices out of the slump they're
in...

But £100,000 is utterly ridiculous for a house plot when you look at the
value of land for agriculture. We've lost sight of reality I think.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's a bit extreme. A conventional car can run out of fuel too. And has
no alternative means of propulsion. Other than pushing it.
The actual range makes no difference to this either - for some a*genuine*
range of 50 miles might be plenty - others might need a great deal more.

The "charge time" for a liquid fuelled car is much lower than for a
battery car.

To expand, a small electric car might only be suitable for city use - so
doesn't need a vast range. If it were meant to be a general pupose
family car, a different matter.

Which implies they will only be of use as "second" cars.

BTW did you all see Top Gear the other day? They had a battery Merc.
Pretty quick it was, 1 motor per wheel, well up their league table.
Though they did comment that Merc reckoned it would _nearly_ get twice
around the Nurburgring.

Andy

More on electric cars. harryagain UK diy 1170 October 21st 12 07:19 PM
Electric cars. harry UK diy 2 September 7th 12 10:08 PM
Electric cars. harry UK diy 38 September 2nd 12 12:38 AM
Electric cars again Bob Eager[_2_] UK diy 30 February 26th 12 11:46 AM
Electric cars [email protected][_2_] Metalworking 9 September 29th 07 04:28 AM