Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cars.

On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen. Card
operated.

Heh heh, there was a single PV panel mounted on a canopy above them.
Must have been at least 100w!
Assuming they were fast charge, the sockets they would need to be
around 30Kw/60amp DC..

What a load of ********. (The PV panel I mean.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2012 18:50, harry wrote:
On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen. Card
operated.

My local authority fitted two charging points = four parking bays in all
their multi-story car parks several months ago. I have yet to see one of
them being used.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/08/2012 20:37, Nightjar wrote:
On 30/08/2012 18:50, harry wrote:
On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen. Card
operated.

My local authority fitted two charging points = four parking bays in all
their multi-story car parks several months ago. I have yet to see one of
them being used.

A friend has a G-wiz electric car for commuting to the City (of London).
He gets free parking in the City car park, free charging, and no
congestion charge. The saving in parking and congestion charge is worth
Ł30 a day = Ł6-7k a year. It paid for itself in a year or so, taking
into account saved fuel and wear and tear on his grown-up car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nightjar
e.here.me.uk scribeth thus
On 30/08/2012 18:50, harry wrote:
On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen. Card
operated.

My local authority fitted two charging points = four parking bays in all
their multi-story car parks several months ago. I have yet to see one of
them being used.

Colin Bignell

Same here in Cambridge....

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...z-12082011.htm
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
The pv panel probably powered th card reader!

but the F.I.T. probably payed for the power used by the cars ;-)
or rather, we all did with the 11% levy on our electricity bills.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
scribeth thus
On 30/08/2012 20:37, Nightjar wrote:
On 30/08/2012 18:50, harry wrote:
On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen. Card
operated.

My local authority fitted two charging points = four parking bays in all
their multi-story car parks several months ago. I have yet to see one of
them being used.

A friend has a G-wiz electric car for commuting to the City (of London).
He gets free parking in the City car park, free charging, and no
congestion charge. The saving in parking and congestion charge is worth
Ł30 a day = Ł6-7k a year. It paid for itself in a year or so, taking
into account saved fuel and wear and tear on his grown-up car.

Who's paying for his electrical power then?...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
A friend has a G-wiz electric car for commuting to the City (of London).
He gets free parking in the City car park, free charging, and no
congestion charge. The saving in parking and congestion charge is worth
Ł30 a day = Ł6-7k a year. It paid for itself in a year or so, taking
into account saved fuel and wear and tear on his grown-up car.

And probably just about enough to cover the disguises he has to buy when
driving it.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 30, 11:52*pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , GB
scribeth thus

On 30/08/2012 20:37, Nightjar wrote:
On 30/08/2012 18:50, harry wrote:
On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen. *Card
operated.

My local authority fitted two charging points = four parking bays in all
their multi-story car parks several months ago. I have yet to see one of
them being used.

A friend has a G-wiz electric car for commuting to the City (of London).
He gets free parking in the City car park, free charging, and no
congestion charge. The saving in parking and congestion charge is worth
Ł30 a day = Ł6-7k a year. It paid for itself in a year or so, taking
into account saved fuel and wear and tear on his grown-up car.

Who's paying for his electrical power then?...

--
Tony Sayer- Hide quoted text -

Only cost a couple of Ł to charge a G-wiz from "empty".
He also gets zero road tax.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

A friend has a G-wiz electric car for commuting to the City (of London).
He gets free parking in the City car park, free charging, and no
congestion charge. The saving in parking and congestion charge is worth
Ł30 a day = Ł6-7k a year. It paid for itself in a year or so, taking
into account saved fuel and wear and tear on his grown-up car.

Who's paying for his electrical power then?...

City of London, as he gets free charging. He tops up at home, but it's a
small fraction of the cost of petrol for the big car.

Of course, the economy for him comes from the subsidies - free parking
and Congestion Charge - paid for by the rest of us. Really, the
electricity cost is a tiny part of the equation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
Of course, the economy for him comes from the subsidies - free parking
and Congestion Charge - paid for by the rest of us. Really, the
electricity cost is a tiny part of the equation.

Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion? My
feeling is they increase it by moving so slowly.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
Of course, the economy for him comes from the subsidies - free parking
and Congestion Charge - paid for by the rest of us. Really, the
electricity cost is a tiny part of the equation.

Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion? My
feeling is they increase it by moving so slowly.

'Cos nobody can afford 'em? :-?

Politics is the answer, I think you'll find. They don't reduce pollution
much except at the point of use, either.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:

Of course, the economy for him comes from the subsidies - free parking
and Congestion Charge - paid for by the rest of us. Really, the
electricity cost is a tiny part of the equation.

Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion? My
feeling is they increase it by moving so slowly.

In central London the average traffic speed has been about 10 mph since
the early 1900's so I doubt if the electric cars have too much trouble.

ISTR congestion charging upped the average speed by 2mph or so.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

PS Sorry for the accidental private reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion? My
feeling is they increase it by moving so slowly.

In central London the average traffic speed has been about 10 mph since
the early 1900's so I doubt if the electric cars have too much trouble.

That average is made up of a mixture of moving and stopped. Not by
vehicles driving at a steady 10 mph. Reduce the speed when moving and the
average speed goes down.

ISTR congestion charging upped the average speed by 2mph or so.

Could be. I've only paid the CC twice - despite living not that far from
it. Far easier to use PT if visiting that area - or to bypass it if needed
to cross it.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2012 11:12, John Williamson wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
Of course, the economy for him comes from the subsidies - free
parking and Congestion Charge - paid for by the rest of us. Really,
the electricity cost is a tiny part of the equation.

Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion? My
feeling is they increase it by moving so slowly.

'Cos nobody can afford 'em? :-?

Politics is the answer, I think you'll find. They don't reduce pollution
much except at the point of use, either.

It depends upon how the electricity is generated. In Switzerland, with
its hydro power, or France, with its nuclear power, they are less
polluting overall. Before they closed down their nuclear plants, Germany
produced 49% of the power from coal and at that time they calculated
that the pollution from an electric car was just about the same as that
from an IC engine car, with one exception - the electric car was
responsible for about 10 times the amount of sulphur dioxide.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion?

Electric cars reduce congestion by being small and over-priced, so there
are fewer of them :-)

More seriously, they're generally more efficient in stop-start traffic
than IC engines (no idling), and less polluting at the point of use
(including quieter), so the same amount of congestion has less adverse
effect (cleaner air for pedestrians beside the road).

(There'll be a fossil fuel power station somewhere, but it's easier to
put filters, electrostatic scrubbers etc., on a power station than a
car, and the power station isn't in the middle of a high concentration
of people, the congested roads are.)

My feeling is they increase it by moving so slowly.

Average speed of London traffic is much the same as when it was horse
powered, so that's not a real problem.
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/n...than_chickens/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smeed%2...ongested_roads

(Obviously other factors like tolls and charges have the potential to change
the level at which road users are discouraged, but it looks like the current
charge doesn't make that much difference.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan Braggins wrote:
Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion?

Electric cars reduce congestion by being small and over-priced, so there
are fewer of them :-)

More seriously, they're generally more efficient in stop-start traffic
than IC engines (no idling), and less polluting at the point of use
(including quieter), so the same amount of congestion has less adverse
effect (cleaner air for pedestrians beside the road).

Lots of modern IC engined cars stop their engines if left to idle then
start them again automatically when you make to move off.

But these true electric cars have neither decent heating or air con -
which makes their appeal even more limiting.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Alan Braggins wrote:
Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion?

Electric cars reduce congestion by being small and over-priced, so there
are fewer of them :-)

More seriously, they're generally more efficient in stop-start traffic
than IC engines (no idling), and less polluting at the point of use
(including quieter), so the same amount of congestion has less adverse
effect (cleaner air for pedestrians beside the road).

Lots of modern IC engined cars stop their engines if left to idle then
start them again automatically when you make to move off.

But these true electric cars have neither decent heating or air con -
which makes their appeal even more limiting.

That's not a given, just a reflection on lack of battery capacity and
surplus power.

My heart yearns for a decent electric car. My head accepts there
probably wont ever be one.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
But these true electric cars have neither decent heating or air con -
which makes their appeal even more limiting.

That's not a given, just a reflection on lack of battery capacity and
surplus power.

Quite.

My heart yearns for a decent electric car. My head accepts there
probably wont ever be one.

Given the G-wiz uses batteries that have little changed in well over 100
years, I'm inclined to agree.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, harry scribeth thus
[...]

Don't think I'd want one that's free power or not;(...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tist-killed-G-
Wiz-electric-car-horror-smash.html
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article
.com, harry scribeth thus
On Aug 30, 11:52 pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , GB
scribeth thus

On 30/08/2012 20:37, Nightjar wrote:
On 30/08/2012 18:50, harry wrote:
On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen. Card
operated.
My local authority fitted two charging points = four parking bays in all
their multi-story car parks several months ago. I have yet to see one of
them being used.
A friend has a G-wiz electric car for commuting to the City (of London).
He gets free parking in the City car park, free charging, and no
congestion charge. The saving in parking and congestion charge is worth
ÂŁ30 a day = ÂŁ6-7k a year. It paid for itself in a year or so, taking
into account saved fuel and wear and tear on his grown-up car.
Who's paying for his electrical power then?...

--
Tony Sayer- Hide quoted text -

Only cost a couple of ÂŁ to charge a G-wiz from "empty".
He also gets zero road tax.

Don't think I'd want one that's free power or not;(...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tist-killed-G-
Wiz-electric-car-horror-smash.html

Damn. A well qualified intelligent and lovely looking woman.

And she had to pick a car like that.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Braggins wrote:
Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion?

Electric cars reduce congestion by being small and over-priced, so there
are fewer of them :-)

More seriously, they're generally more efficient in stop-start traffic

^^^^^^^^^
than IC engines (no idling)

Lots of modern IC engined cars stop their engines if left to idle then
start them again automatically when you make to move off.

And lots don't, and some have switches to do it that their drivers don't
use, and they still need energy to get started and have a mininum working
speed. IC cars with low CO2 emissions don't reduce congestion either, but
also get a discount on the congestion charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan Braggins wrote:
Lots of modern IC engined cars stop their engines if left to idle then
start them again automatically when you make to move off.

And lots don't, and some have switches to do it that their drivers don't
use, and they still need energy to get started and have a mininum
working speed.

White van man seems to be the worst. Usually having the engine running
while in a carpark, eating their lunch. Suppose it's because they don't
pay for the fuel - surely not all of them have battery problems?

IC cars with low CO2 emissions don't reduce congestion
either, but also get a discount on the congestion charge.

Quite. But then Livingston didn't understand cars any more than Boris.

--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 4:57*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *The Natural Philosopher wrote:

But these true electric cars have neither decent heating or air con -
which makes their appeal even more limiting.

That's not a given, just a reflection on lack of battery capacity and
surplus power.

Quite.

My heart yearns for a decent electric car. My head accepts there
probably wont ever be one.

Given the G-wiz uses batteries that have little changed in well over 100
years, I'm inclined to agree.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

You can buy a G-wiz with various batteries depending on the range you
want.
http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/econew...um-upgrade.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

But these true electric cars have neither decent heating or air con -
which makes their appeal even more limiting.
That's not a given, just a reflection on lack of battery capacity and
surplus power.

Quite.

My heart yearns for a decent electric car. My head accepts there
probably wont ever be one.

Given the G-wiz uses batteries that have little changed in well over 100
years, I'm inclined to agree.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

You can buy a G-wiz with various batteries depending on the range you
want.
http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/econew...um-upgrade.htm

As in 10, 15 or 20 miles?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:
Given the G-wiz uses batteries that have little changed in well over
100 years, I'm inclined to agree.

You can buy a G-wiz with various batteries depending on the range you
want.

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/econew...um-upgrade.htm

It does seem to offer a LiIon battery pack etc, but I've not been able to
find a price. Given the standard car is the thick end of 9 grand I doubt
many would bother, for an increased range. Driving it for the current one
would be a big enough misery.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 2:19*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
* *Alan Braggins wrote:
[...]

diminishing number of producers.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/electr...icles-cars.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I think the Gwiz is 80 mile range/50mph.
Most of the more recent ones are around the 100 mile range 80mph.
Depends how you drive and on road/climate conditions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:

I think the Gwiz is 80 mile range/50mph.
Most of the more recent ones are around the 100 mile range 80mph.
Depends how you drive and on road/climate conditions.

Is this Chinese whispers?

http://www.ukelectriccars.co.uk/goin...gwiz-g-wiz.htm

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Don't think I'd want one that's free power or not;(...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tist-killed-G-
Wiz-electric-car-horror-smash.html

Damn. A well qualified intelligent and lovely looking woman.

And she had to pick a car like that.

"Experts at the Transport Research Laboratory were so concerned about
the Indian-made G-Wiz that they refused to risk their more sophisticated
ÂŁ130,000 crash test dummies €“ full of electronic instruments €“ in the
test for fear of them being wrecked."

For safety, think of the G-Wiz in terms of a bicycle rather than a car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

That average is made up of a mixture of moving and stopped. Not by
vehicles driving at a steady 10 mph. Reduce the speed when moving and the
average speed goes down.

That's not always true.
The managed motorways have demonstrated that you can keep traffic moving at
a slower speed and get farther in a given time than letting the idiots
accelerate and brake hard, repeatedly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:

I think the Gwiz is 80 mile range/50mph.
Most of the more recent ones are around the 100 mile range 80mph.
Depends how you drive and on road/climate conditions.

Is this Chinese whispers?

http://www.ukelectriccars.co.uk/goin...gwiz-g-wiz.htm

That would just about get me to one of the car parks where I can
recharge it and back home again.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

ISTR congestion charging upped the average speed by 2mph or so.

For a while, but things balance out over time.

Could be. I've only paid the CC twice - despite living not that far from
it. Far easier to use PT if visiting that area - or to bypass it if needed
to cross it.

I qualify for the resident's discount on congestion charge, but I only
use it about 1 day per year. As the minumum charge with discount is for
five not one day and I pay ÂŁ10 per year to register for the discount it
is yet to prove a saving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
That average is made up of a mixture of moving and stopped. Not by
vehicles driving at a steady 10 mph. Reduce the speed when moving and
the average speed goes down.

That's not always true. The managed motorways have demonstrated that you
can keep traffic moving at a slower speed and get farther in a given
time than letting the idiots accelerate and brake hard, repeatedly.

On the M25, the traffic frequently came to a dead stop. Keeping it moving
at a steady speed might well be better. But that can't happen in town.
Traffic lights etc see to that.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31.08.2012 00:10, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Nightjar
e.here.me.uk scribeth thus
On 30/08/2012 18:50, harry wrote:
On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen.
Card operated.

My local authority fitted two charging points = four parking bays
in all their multi-story car parks several months ago. I have yet
to see one of them being used.

Colin Bignell

Same here in Cambridge....

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...z-12082011.htm

In 2007 Norway consumed 137 TWh of electricity and 135 TWh
came from hydroelectric plants.

I have a CHAdeMO close to my home. It is marked with 500 volt, 120 A
which is 60 kw loading capacity. Maybe the CHAdeMO has a bit less
capacity; still it is an impressive figure.
There I can charge for free. Too bad that I do not have a japanese
electric car.

Now Us and EU car manufacturers have invented a new standard for quick
charging in order to stop the japanese expansion.
I do not think they will manage to stop it:
http://chademo.com/indexe.html
--
jo
€śAvoiding dangerous climate change€ť is impossible

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jo Stein wrote:

In 2007 Norway consumed 137 TWh of electricity and 135 TWh
came from hydroelectric plants.

Well praise be Slartibartfast.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jo Stein
scribeth thus
On 31.08.2012 00:10, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Nightjar
e.here.me.uk scribeth thus
On 30/08/2012 18:50, harry wrote:
On the M5 yesterday near J21 going NE "Welcome Break" they have
installed 2x charging points for electric cars, first I've seen.
Card operated.

My local authority fitted two charging points = four parking bays
in all their multi-story car parks several months ago. I have yet
to see one of them being used.

Colin Bignell

Same here in Cambridge....

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...nerate-a-buzz-

12082011.htm

In 2007 Norway consumed 137 TWh of electricity and 135 TWh
came from hydroelectric plants.

I have a CHAdeMO close to my home. It is marked with 500 volt, 120 A
which is 60 kw loading capacity. Maybe the CHAdeMO has a bit less
capacity; still it is an impressive figure.
There I can charge for free. Too bad that I do not have a japanese
electric car.

Dunno there .. if I got one that came with ten years free charging it
might tempt me...

Well just for use around town not too far away...