Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Electric cars.

On 31/08/2012 11:12, John Williamson wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
Of course, the economy for him comes from the subsidies - free
parking and Congestion Charge - paid for by the rest of us. Really,
the electricity cost is a tiny part of the equation.

Could someone explain to me how electric cars reduce congestion? My
feeling is they increase it by moving so slowly.

'Cos nobody can afford 'em? :-?

Politics is the answer, I think you'll find. They don't reduce pollution
much except at the point of use, either.

It depends upon how the electricity is generated. In Switzerland, with
its hydro power, or France, with its nuclear power, they are less
polluting overall. Before they closed down their nuclear plants, Germany
produced 49% of the power from coal and at that time they calculated
that the pollution from an electric car was just about the same as that
from an IC engine car, with one exception - the electric car was
responsible for about 10 times the amount of sulphur dioxide.

Colin Bignell