Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lock for garden gate both sides

Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be operated
from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple sliding
bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock the gate
behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock me
in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the gate and
fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the outside as I
needed to.

Thumper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:53:52 +0100, Thumper wrote:

Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be
operated from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the
gate and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the
outside as I needed to.

Sliding bolt, and a small 'window' in the gate so that it can be operated
from both sides. Big hole in end of bolt (rectangular section) with
padlock on that. Can be opened from either side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thumper wrote:
Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be
operated from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the
gate and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the
outside as I needed to.

Thumper

One of these?:-

http://www.gatehingekits.co.uk/produ...-Steel-Bolt%29

Just the first of many hits searching for "gate lock"

I've seen cheaper versions using what I can only describe as surface
mounted mortice locks that are commonly used on thin doors. They're not
very secure, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 17 July 2013 12:53 Thumper wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be operated
from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the gate
and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the outside
as I needed to.

Thumper

The usual way is to cut a hand hole next to the bolt so you can access it
from outside.

The other way is to fit a mortice lock, if you can find one that is
reasonbly weather resistant.

A 3rd way would be to try to find a side slider bolt with a t-bar on both
front and back adn cut a slot for the t-bar.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I put in a normal Mortice lock into the edge of the gate. You need to
get one made of a non ferrous metal though or it will rust.
It was also a pig to get lined up and keep that way during the warping
problems modern wood has!

Brian

Email:

"Thumper" wrote in message
Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be operated
from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the gate
and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the outside
as I needed to.

Thumper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:53:52 +0100, Thumper wrote:

Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be operated
from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple sliding
bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock the gate
behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock me
in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the gate and
fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the outside as I
needed to.

Thumper

One problem with gates and locks is that most locks need some precision and
gates don't do that.
On a shed I have Sqires' combination bolt, but the throw is so little that
a gate might well move enough to render it useless.
My next-door neighbour got an 18" combination bike-lock cable and that loops
around the central ledge and the soil pipe (I put a cup hook on the gatepost
to stop the cable descending to the gully when not locked.
The cable can be fed round to access the dials from either side.

Although the soil stack is plastic, the main aim is a delaying tactic and,
of course, the average gate wouldn't withstand a violent attack.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Thumper wrote:
[...]

This does look good, and all the other ideas are interesting too. Given me
plenty to think about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 22:25:41 +0100, Thumper wrote:

One of these?:-

http://www.gatehingekits.co.uk/produ...-Steel-Bolt%29

Just the first of many hits searching for "gate lock"

I've seen cheaper versions using what I can only describe as surface
mounted mortice locks that are commonly used on thin doors. They're not
very secure, though.

This does look good, and all the other ideas are interesting too. Given me
plenty to think about.

That looks very good, especially the 2-sided one.
For my neighbour's preferences, we wanted to avoid having a key as it'd
always be on the 'wrong' side of the gate - near the front or back door;
delete as applicable.
Her combi. cable on her gate and my combi. bolt on my shed have the same
combination so we don't forget it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

visit - http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

visit - http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a big metal
cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the padlock
visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a big
metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the
padlock visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a big
metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the padlock
visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

Not all, depending on the design of the gate/boom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a big
metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the
padlock visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

Years back (1993) our previous house was broken into. The toe rags climbed
over a 6ft fence to get in and out.

Even though they were caught shortly afterwards doing another house,
nothing of ours was recovered. The police advised us that the method was to
€˜do a house, have someone remove the swag to somewhere else and then do
another one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its all about deterring the opportunist, not protecting it from the person
intent on gaining access.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a big
metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the padlock
visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 11:09:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

I wonder what someone did to you that you became (or were you born like
that?) such an obnoxious and self-opinionated asshole.

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 12:58:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

Not all, depending on the design of the gate/boom.

LOL You just ALWAYS have to be right, eh, you clinically insane senile
idiot?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , FMurtz
writes
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a
big metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the
padlock visible.
Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom
with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

I have wondered if padlock hasps could be coated in aluminium or similar
to clog the cutting disc abrasive.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , FMurtz
writes
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/
Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a
big metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the
padlock visible.
Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom
with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

I have wondered if padlock hasps could be coated in aluminium or similar
to clog the cutting disc abrasive.

It takes quite a lot to clog a cutting / grinding wheel. A coating wouldnt
be enough.

I had to cut through a jammed lock a few years back with an angle grinder -
it was scary how quick and easy it was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a big
metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the
padlock visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

Not all, depending on the design of the gate/boom.

So you cut the hinges or the bolts that hold it together.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , FMurtz
writes
Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

pure aluminium would not stop the right disks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a big
metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the
padlock visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

Not all, depending on the design of the gate/boom.

So you cut the hinges or the bolts that hold it together.

Not possible with the best designs. No hinges with rolling gates,
no bolts holding it together with a fully welded gate. Nothing
to cut that will all the removal of the gate with the best designs.

Trivial to design it that way. And with domestic gates, trivial
to ensure that they will be seen furiously cutting with a battery
angle grinder and trivial to alarm the gate so that they can
cut anything they like with a ****ing great alarm going off
while they painlessly try cutting away till the cops show up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 19:52:32 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a big
metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the
padlock visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

Not all, depending on the design of the gate/boom.

So you cut the hinges or the bolts that hold it together.

Not possible with the best designs. No hinges with rolling gates,
no bolts holding it together with a fully welded gate. Nothing
to cut that will all the removal of the gate with the best designs.

ONLY in your auto-contradicting senile mind, you clinically insane
auto-contradicting senile asshole!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , FMurtz
writes
Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

True.

I once saw a grinding wheel shatter. Very nasty. Fortunately the person
using it wasnt hurt. It was in Pakistan, no safety guard, no goggles etc.
He was darn lucky. The grinder looked like it was 100 years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

visit -
http://pickbestproduct.com/best-bolt...dlocks-review/

Our fire trail gates do it the other way. The padlock is inside a
big metal cylinder
with just the key end of the padlock the only visible part of the
padlock visible.

Corse with fire trails some just drive over the entire gate/boom with
the landcruiser with a massive great bullbar and **** it that way.

And a simple battery angle grinder makes them all a waste of time.

Not all, depending on the design of the gate/boom.

So you cut the hinges or the bolts that hold it together.

Not possible with the best designs. No hinges with rolling gates,
no bolts holding it together with a fully welded gate. Nothing
to cut that will all the removal of the gate with the best designs.

Any thing that moves will move if you remove what is stopping it.
This discussion was about padlocks not chub safe doors, of course you
could build extremely heavy gates ,doors etc, but that is not what we
were discussing.

Trivial to design it that way. And with domestic gates, trivial
to ensure that they will be seen furiously cutting with a battery
angle grinder and trivial to alarm the gate so that they can
cut anything they like with a ****ing great alarm going off
while they painlessly try cutting away till the cops show up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Yes, but plenty cant be removed with a battery angle grinder.

This discussion was about padlocks not chub safe doors,

It was actually about what the padlock was stopping you opening.

of course you could build extremely heavy gates ,
doors etc, but that is not what we were discussing.

Of course it was with what the padlock is used to lock
when we moved on to what can be done to prevent
a battery angle grinder being used to cut the padlock
off or have the padlock where no battery angle grinder
and get at the padlock and then on to what is perfectly
possible to do to avoid a battery angle grinder from
cutting up the gate itself instead of just the lock.

Trivial to have an alarm wire inside what would
have to be cut to destroy the gate and to ensure
that there is no way to bridge that before cutting.

Trivial to design it that way. And with domestic gates, trivial
to ensure that they will be seen furiously cutting with a battery
angle grinder and trivial to alarm the gate so that they can
cut anything they like with a ****ing great alarm going off
while they painlessly try cutting away till the cops show up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 05:20:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Any thing that moves will move if you remove what is stopping it.

Yes, but plenty cant be removed with a battery angle grinder.

I bet I'm not the only one would like to see your big mouth removed with an
angle grinder, senile asshole!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably of no use now to the OP back in 2013 but for anyone else interested in a gate lock than be locked/unlocked both sides I have had two of these and found them very good.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 6:01:06 AM UTC-5, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Probably of no use now to the OP back in 2013 but for anyone else interested in a gate lock than be locked/unlocked both sides I have had two of these and found them very good.

Richard

Hello All,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm looking for something that does not require installation. I currently have a latch like this:

https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/...atch+Vinyl.jpg
https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/...atch+Vinyl.jpg

The hole placement is designed for a padlock to prevent the latch from opening. Is there a lock that is designed for this type of latch and can be unlocked from either side of the gate?

Ideas for Gate Lock TheScullster UK diy 11 February 11th 13 10:31 AM
Ideas sought for electronic remote-controlled lock for garden gate MM UK diy 3 November 28th 08 09:10 PM
Z Bar Garden gate no name UK diy 3 October 10th 07 05:31 PM
Garden gate samson Woodworking 2 July 2nd 07 04:33 AM
Two way gate lock? julvr Home Repair 4 July 18th 06 01:43 AM