Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lock for garden gate both sides

Thumper wrote:
Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be
operated from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the
gate and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the
outside as I needed to.

Thumper

One of these?:-

http://www.gatehingekits.co.uk/produ...-Steel-Bolt%29

Just the first of many hits searching for "gate lock"

I've seen cheaper versions using what I can only describe as surface
mounted mortice locks that are commonly used on thin doors. They're not
very secure, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.