Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lock for garden gate both sides

On Wednesday 17 July 2013 12:53 Thumper wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be operated
from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the gate
and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the outside
as I needed to.

Thumper

The usual way is to cut a hand hole next to the bolt so you can access it
from outside.

The other way is to fit a mortice lock, if you can find one that is
reasonbly weather resistant.

A 3rd way would be to try to find a side slider bolt with a t-bar on both
front and back adn cut a slot for the t-bar.

Reading this on the web? See: