Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thumper[_2_] Thumper[_2_] is offline

Default Lock for garden gate both sides

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Thumper wrote:
Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be operated
from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the gate
and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the outside
as I needed to.

Thumper

One of these?:-

http://www.gatehingekits.co.uk/produ...-Steel-Bolt%29

Just the first of many hits searching for "gate lock"

I've seen cheaper versions using what I can only describe as surface
mounted mortice locks that are commonly used on thin doors. They're not
very secure, though.

This does look good, and all the other ideas are interesting too. Given me
plenty to think about.