Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Lock for garden gate both sides

Well I put in a normal Mortice lock into the edge of the gate. You need to
get one made of a non ferrous metal though or it will rust.
It was also a pig to get lined up and keep that way during the warping
problems modern wood has!

Brian

Email:

"Thumper" wrote in message
Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be operated
from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the gate
and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the outside
as I needed to.

Thumper