Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lock for garden gate both sides

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:53:52 +0100, Thumper wrote:

Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be
operated from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple
sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock
the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock
me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the
gate and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the
outside as I needed to.

Sliding bolt, and a small 'window' in the gate so that it can be operated
from both sides. Big hole in end of bolt (rectangular section) with
padlock on that. Can be opened from either side.