Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Left the apprentice in Grimsby

"ARW" wrote in message
No.

I'm talking about an apprentice who saw a chance to waste 15 minutes.

We know their tricks.

Now the apprentice I was with earlier in the week managed to go into the
garage and buy us both a couple of drinks and he took the fuelcard in with
him to pay for the fuel at the same time. He actually asked "Shall I take
the card and pay for the fuel while I am in the shop?".

Can you now understand why some apprentices are a pleasure to work with
and others just get bollockings day after day until they quit/get fired?

I was the "best" not my words - indentured apprentice on the company and
was I worked like a dog.
I was the only indentured apprentice. The other lads were trendy.
No pick up and drop off for me; it was the bus.
I can remember sitting on a pile of lagging in the back of a freezing cold
damp van and listening to this number 1.
I was dropped off about a mile from home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07fIa9XKS8

You should not have done what you did Adam.
In later life I have had young trainees. If I had abandoned them I would
have been beaten up and then sacked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/01/2013 20:03, Mr Pounder wrote:

I finished my subby work at 5.00 before going on to another job thankyou
very much.

What is subby work?

Sub-standard work ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 14/01/2013 20:03, Mr Pounder wrote:

I finished my subby work at 5.00 before going on to another job
thankyou very much.

What is subby work?

Sub-standard work ;-)

I can do that if you would like to pay more for the job doing.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 18:27, ARW wrote:
On Friday afternoon I called in for fuel at 3.30 pm. There was a
queue at the petrol station a queue at the till and add on to that
all the time it took me to fill the tank with 50 litres of fuel.

The little **** just sat in the passenger seat of the van for 15
minutes until I had got back from paying for the fuel before
announcing that he was going into the petrol station for a drink and
crisps.

I said "You can call in the shop if you want to but I will be
setting off back home in 10 seconds time"

He went into the shop and 10 seconds later I left for home.

Written final warning in the morning ..........................

Not a smart move on your part. By all means have contempt for some of
the apprentices, but don't forget they get paid peanuts, and are easily
dismissed.

In this case the apprentice would have little trouble in claiming
constructive dismissal, plus reasonable expenses to get home.

I wonder what your bosses think of you? If it was me, it would be you
with the written warning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not a smart move on your part. By all means have contempt for some of
the apprentices, but don't forget they get paid peanuts, and are easily
dismissed.

They get paid what they're worth

In this case the apprentice would have little trouble in claiming
constructive dismissal, plus reasonable expenses to get home.

As a nation we need to stop pussy footing around these kids, it does
them no favours. It's a tough world out there and you need to get your
arse in gear very early to not end up on the scrapheap

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 10:40, stuart noble wrote:

Not a smart move on your part. By all means have contempt for some of
the apprentices, but don't forget they get paid peanuts, and are easily
dismissed.

They get paid what they're worth

It depends on how you value an apprentice. They're not all equal.

In this case the apprentice would have little trouble in claiming
constructive dismissal, plus reasonable expenses to get home.

As a nation we need to stop pussy footing around these kids, it does
them no favours. It's a tough world out there and you need to get your
arse in gear very early to not end up on the scrapheap

Agreed, but to leave an apprentice at a petrol station miles from the
workplace or home is a disgrace and unprofessional. Dropping him off
home with a weeks pay in lieu of notice is not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 14, 2013 8:20:14 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message

[...]

The days were 25 hours long too back then ;-)

I was dropped off about a mile from home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07fIa9XKS8

Now even I'll admit that is a little beyond the limits.

You should not have done what you did Adam.

In later life I have had young trainees.

Your sex life is safe with us

If I had abandoned them I would

have been beaten up and then sacked.

I guess that depends on yuor employer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message

[...]

There were £1 coins nailed to the floor.

If I had abandoned them I would

have been beaten up and then sacked.

I guess that depends on yuor employer.

We are very hard men in the north.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 10:40, stuart noble wrote:

Not a smart move on your part. By all means have contempt for some of
the apprentices, but don't forget they get paid peanuts, and are easily
dismissed.

They get paid what they're worth

It depends on how you value an apprentice. They're not all equal.

In this case the apprentice would have little trouble in claiming
constructive dismissal, plus reasonable expenses to get home.

As a nation we need to stop pussy footing around these kids, it does
them no favours. It's a tough world out there and you need to get your
arse in gear very early to not end up on the scrapheap

Agreed, but to leave an apprentice at a petrol station miles from the
workplace or home is a disgrace and unprofessional. Dropping him off home
with a weeks pay in lieu of notice is not.

Adam ****ed up on this one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/13 10:40, stuart noble wrote:

Not a smart move on your part. By all means have contempt for some of
the apprentices, but don't forget they get paid peanuts, and are easily
dismissed.

They get paid what they're worth

In this case the apprentice would have little trouble in claiming
constructive dismissal, plus reasonable expenses to get home.

As a nation we need to stop pussy footing around these kids, it does
them no favours. It's a tough world out there and you need to get your
arse in gear very early to not end up on the scrapheap

Exactly.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Fredxx wrote:
On 13/01/2013 18:27, ARW wrote:
[...]

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him - so you
can guess what the boss thinks of me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

stuart noble wrote:
Not a smart move on your part. By all means have contempt for some
of the apprentices, but don't forget they get paid peanuts, and are
easily dismissed.

They get paid what they're worth

In this case the apprentice would have little trouble in claiming
constructive dismissal, plus reasonable expenses to get home.

As a nation we need to stop pussy footing around these kids, it does
them no favours. It's a tough world out there and you need to get your
arse in gear very early to not end up on the scrapheap

This one has to go. I pulled up at work, got my toolbox out of the van and
unlocked the door of the empty house we were working on and he was still sat
in the van! He has no interest in the job and is lazy. I pulled him out of
the van and gave him a bollocking but all he did was drag his feet all day
(apart from dinner time/mobile phone time).

And they might get paid **** whilst they start their training, but after 5
years they will be on double the minimum wage - and they will be on at least
the minimum wage by 19 if they start their training at 16.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/01/2013 18:22, ARW wrote:

This one has to go. I pulled up at work, got my toolbox out of the van and
unlocked the door of the empty house we were working on and he was still sat
in the van! He has no interest in the job and is lazy. I pulled him out of
the van and gave him a bollocking but all he did was drag his feet all day
(apart from dinner time/mobile phone time).

You may be right that he's a no-good-nik through and through. However,
you may not be getting the best out of him. It does sound like he can do
nothing right in your eyes, which must be immensely dispiriting. There's
a responsibility involved in training a young person, and maybe you just
don't have the patience for it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 18:22 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

stuart noble wrote:
[...]

I really do not know what is wrong with people.

My first job after uni was in the jobcentre (really). Because it was all I
could get in 1991 with not much useful experience. I have always mentally
spat on the idea of being a civil servant (my old man was one and hated it,
being an engineer). But I still applied myself and got on with it. Net
result, good reports, and put forward by the office manager when PCs started
appearing for a job at the area office supporting them in the south west
london area - that's after she basically let me support our local one and
assist other staff with technical problems.

The point being, it was basically a boring job, and the money was not great,
but even so, diligence was recognised and led to more interesting things.

From area to regional office (with an upgrade) doing more official support
and development for London and the SE, which finally gave me enough credible
experience to get a proper job ;-

I still think though, that they were the most fun people I've worked with -
I guess it was because we were mostly 20-30's and the civil service is
basically somewhere where you can clear your task list and bugger off to the
pub at the end of the day without too much hanging over from day to day - at
least at a junior level.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him - so you
can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think you're cut
out for this. Time to move on."?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 18:22, ARW wrote:

This one has to go. I pulled up at work, got my toolbox out of the
van and unlocked the door of the empty house we were working on and
he was still sat in the van! He has no interest in the job and is
lazy. I pulled him out of the van and gave him a bollocking but all
he did was drag his feet all day (apart from dinner time/mobile
phone time).

You may be right that he's a no-good-nik through and through. However,
you may not be getting the best out of him. It does sound like he can
do nothing right in your eyes, which must be immensely dispiriting.
There's a responsibility involved in training a young person, and
maybe you just don't have the patience for it?

I do have patience for those that want to learn and want to work.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 18:44, GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 18:22, ARW wrote:

This one has to go. I pulled up at work, got my toolbox out of the van
and
unlocked the door of the empty house we were working on and he was
still sat
in the van! He has no interest in the job and is lazy. I pulled him
out of
the van and gave him a bollocking but all he did was drag his feet all
day
(apart from dinner time/mobile phone time).

You may be right that he's a no-good-nik through and through. However,
you may not be getting the best out of him. It does sound like he can do
nothing right in your eyes, which must be immensely dispiriting. There's
a responsibility involved in training a young person, and maybe you just
don't have the patience for it?

Why should anyone have the patience? This is work, not nursery school.
Yes, it's tough, and I do feel for some of the kids, but a sharp kick up
the arse is what most of them need IME
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/01/2013 19:06, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 18:22, ARW wrote:

This one has to go. I pulled up at work, got my toolbox out of the
van and unlocked the door of the empty house we were working on and
he was still sat in the van! He has no interest in the job and is
lazy. I pulled him out of the van and gave him a bollocking but all
he did was drag his feet all day (apart from dinner time/mobile
phone time).

You may be right that he's a no-good-nik through and through. However,
you may not be getting the best out of him. It does sound like he can
do nothing right in your eyes, which must be immensely dispiriting.
There's a responsibility involved in training a young person, and
maybe you just don't have the patience for it?

I do have patience for those that want to learn and want to work.

Those ones don't require patience. They are a pleasure to have around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him -
so you can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think you're
cut out for this. Time to move on."?

And pay him off? Far better to sack them or get them to quit.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
stuart noble wrote:
[...]

What has that got to do with your original posting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/01/2013 19:31, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him -
so you can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think you're
cut out for this. Time to move on."?

And pay him off? Far better to sack them or get them to quit.

A week's worth of wages for an apprentice = SFA. Leaving him in Grimsby
is constructive dismissal, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 20:37, GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 19:31, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him -
so you can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think you're
cut out for this. Time to move on."?

And pay him off? Far better to sack them or get them to quit.

A week's worth of wages for an apprentice = SFA. Leaving him in Grimsby
is constructive dismissal, anyway.

he probably doesn't read DIY or he will be printing off the admissions
to give to his brief by now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 19:31, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of
him - so you can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think
you're cut out for this. Time to move on."?

And pay him off? Far better to sack them or get them to quit.

A week's worth of wages for an apprentice = SFA.

They do have some legal rights. You cannot just give them £100 and tell them
to **** off.

It is easier and cheaper to legally sack them or "give" them a chance to
quit.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:08:33 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, stuart noble disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

Yes, it's tough, and I do feel for some of the kids, but a sharp kick up
the arse is what most of them need IME

The smart ones learn from that and the kick does not need to be
administered a second time.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:45:09 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "dennis@home" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

he probably doesn't read DIY or he will be printing off the admissions
to give to his brief by now.

He probably does not read.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:46:59 +0000, RobertH wrote:

Written final warning in the morning ..........................

For you?

I would think so.

Are you the apprentice's mother?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:45:48 PM UTC, wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

On 13/01/2013 18:27, ARW wrote:

[...]

Well he either hates you or admires you for getting things done that he can't, I'm not sure which.

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him - so
you
can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think you're cut
out for this. Time to move on."?

I can't understand why he hasn't already worked this out for himself.

Is there some reason why an apprentice can't make his own decision to "give
up" ?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 18:44, GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 18:22, ARW wrote:

[...]

I suppose that depends upon whether they are keen, but dumb rather than just
disinterested

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him -
so you can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think you're
cut out for this. Time to move on."?

And pay him off? Far better to sack them or get them to quit.

Sacking him via the "warning" process doesn't entitle you to not pay him
off, a succession of non gross misconduct "mistakes" does not become a
single gross misconduct.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/01/2013 21:33, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 19:31, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of
him - so you can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think
you're cut out for this. Time to move on."?

And pay him off? Far better to sack them or get them to quit.

A week's worth of wages for an apprentice = SFA.

They do have some legal rights. You cannot just give them £100 and tell them
to **** off.

It is easier and cheaper to legally sack them or "give" them a chance to
quit.

Are there special rights for apprentices? Otherwise, provided he's
completed less than 2 years employment, he can just be given a week or
two's wages and told to **** off. That's what giving him the sack is.

Nothing wrong with that. It's the degrading, almost sadistic, treatment
you are giving him on top of that that I object to. Plus, you seem to
get a kick out of it, although maybe that's just your frustration with
the kid coming out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/01/2013 11:53, tim..... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him -
so you
can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think you're
cut out for this. Time to move on."?

I can't understand why he hasn't already worked this out for himself.

Is there some reason why an apprentice can't make his own decision to
"give up" ?

Maybe something to do with benefits?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
I had a lad working with me a while back and all he had to do was run
20mm steel conduit along the wall of a brick built block of flats and
around a few corners. An absolute piece of cake job, or so I thought.

Have you ever worked with steel conduit?

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 21:33, ARW wrote:

A week's worth of wages for an apprentice = SFA.

They do have some legal rights. You cannot just give them £100 and
tell them to **** off.

It is easier and cheaper to legally sack them or "give" them a
chance to quit.

Are there special rights for apprentices? Otherwise, provided he's
completed less than 2 years employment, he can just be given a week or
two's wages and told to **** off. That's what giving him the sack is.

That's a week or two's wages for free. That's not going to happen.

Nothing wrong with that. It's the degrading, almost sadistic,
treatment you are giving him on top of that that I object to. Plus,
you seem to get a kick out of it, although maybe that's just your
frustration with the kid coming out.

It is frustrating. I means that I am about to watch another one waste his
chance in life.

If encouraging them fails then degrading sadistic abuse before firing them
is the next step.

Personally I would love to see his parents accompany him to work and every
time he answers back, disobeys a direct order or a polite request then I
would punch both his parents in the face and leave the lad alone.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote
GB wrote
ARW wrote

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants
shut of him - so you can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't
think you're cut out for this. Time to move on."?

I can't understand why he hasn't already worked this out for himself.

There are obviously plenty too stupid to work that out
for themselves and there is also the other consideration
about what else he can find work wise too.

And if he is one of the essentially unemployables, and
it looks like he may well be, presumably if he does just
quit, he presumably wont qualify for the dole immediately
if he does that. If he gets sacked, he presumably does.

Is there some reason why an apprentice
can't make his own decision to "give up" ?

See above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

On 13/01/2013 18:27, ARW wrote:

[...]

Most likely he doesn't personally supervise apprentices
anymore so needs someone who still does to document his
terminal stupidity so they can give him the bums rush, legally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

tim..... wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 17:45, ARW wrote:

I was put with that apprentice because the boss wants shut of him
- so you
can guess what the boss thinks of me.

Why doesn't the boss just say "Sorry lad, but we don't think you're
cut out for this. Time to move on."?

I can't understand why he hasn't already worked this out for himself.

Is there some reason why an apprentice can't make his own decision to
"give up" ?

That would mean that he has to tell Mummy that he is a lazy ******* and that
he has quit work/got fired. He is still there - but not for long unless he
improves.

The mother has been on the phone to complain about me. It did come as a
complete shock to her that her son is idle "I don't believe that and I have
known him longer than you".

She was even more shocked when she was told to "**** off and stop wasting my
time" by the manager of the firm.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That would mean that he has to tell Mummy that he is a lazy ******* and that
he has quit work/got fired. He is still there - but not for long unless he
improves.

The mother has been on the phone to complain about me. It did come as a
complete shock to her that her son is idle "I don't believe that and I have
known him longer than you".

She was even more shocked when she was told to "**** off and stop wasting my
time" by the manager of the firm.

Shes prolly just like him then. Thats where he got his attitudes from...
--
Tony Sayer

New Apprentice ARW UK diy 4 October 25th 12 08:54 AM
That's one less apprentice ARWadsworth UK diy 61 June 25th 12 09:44 PM
The woodworker's apprentice Jeff Woodworking 3 February 11th 08 01:29 AM
Looking For Apprentice-Types... Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 17 October 23rd 07 01:27 PM
Looking For Apprentice-Types... Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 October 19th 07 10:00 PM