Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default That's one less apprentice

A pity as he had a real talent but he would not use it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Prey tell.

Drove out into the countryside and left him there?

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 22:05:51 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

A pity as he had a real talent but he would not use it.

Did you megger him while he was on a ladder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 9:05 a.m., ARWadsworth wrote:
A pity as he had a real talent but he would not use it.

Terminated with extreme prejudice?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Prey tell.

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied "what?".
When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He probably lethargisised himself to death. Death by couch potato syndrome.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
On 23/06/2012 9:05 a.m., ARWadsworth wrote:
A pity as he had a real talent but he would not use it.

Terminated with extreme prejudice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied "what?".
When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".

So you're stuck with the one who's been a teenager for 23 years?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied
"what?". When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".

So you're stuck with the one who's been a teenager for 23 years?

And the other 5 youngsters.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:42:58 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied
"what?". When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".

That should be a hanging matter anyway, even if he took it off to listen
to what you were saying. How can he expect to concentrate properly with
headphones on?

I quite like music/radio when doing practical work. I'd say it's a hanging
matter from the H&S POV, if he can't hear what is going on around him he
won't hear the warning shout...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

jgharston wrote:
Prey tell.

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied
"what?". When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".

That should be a hanging matter anyway, even if he took it off to listen
to what you were saying. How can he expect to concentrate properly with
headphones on?

I can -

but the issue here is two fold;

1) He's on a building site (of some level) so needs to be able to hear
warnings/alarms etc.

2) He is an apprentice and does what the hell he's told
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 11:25, Tim Streater wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:42:58 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied
"what?". When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".
That should be a hanging matter anyway, even if he took it off to

listen to what you were saying. How can he expect to concentrate
properly with headphones on?

I quite like music/radio when doing practical work. I'd say it's a
hanging
matter from the H&S POV, if he can't hear what is going on around him he
won't hear the warning shout...

Yeah, that's what I meant really. Radio on in the background is one
thing, headphones is another.

Rather like the lemming pedestrians that just walk out into moving
traffic 'cos they're thinking about other things and their headphones
don't let them hear the traffic noise.

On the other hand, I can concentrate better and for longer on a single
task when listening to music and as a mainly office based worker, I
often use an MP3 player when carrying out detailed checks of long (and
very boring) specifications or procedures. Most of the offices I've
worked in recently allow music players, but we wouldn't be able to have
a background radio, as it'd interfere with at desk meetings and phonecalls.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
jgharston wrote:
Prey tell.

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied
"what?". When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".

--
Adam

In my day I did as I was bloody well told. I would not have dared to defy a
plumber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , SteveW steve@walker-
family.me.uk scribeth thus
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:42:58 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied
"what?". When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".
That should be a hanging matter anyway, even if he took it off to
listen to what you were saying. How can he expect to concentrate
properly with headphones on?

I quite like music/radio when doing practical work. I'd say it's a
hanging
matter from the H&S POV, if he can't hear what is going on around him he
won't hear the warning shout...

Yeah, that's what I meant really. Radio on in the background is one
thing, headphones is another.

Rather like the lemming pedestrians that just walk out into moving
traffic 'cos they're thinking about other things and their headphones
don't let them hear the traffic noise.

Yeah, it seems they have a legal right to do that and you've got to give
way to them regardless;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
1) He's on a building site (of some level) so needs to be able to hear
warnings/alarms etc.

So no ear defenders when using power tools?

2) He is an apprentice and does what the hell he's told

That's more like it.

Personally, I'd not object to a workman listening to music etc on
headphones when working - provided he takes them off when it's obvious
someone wants to talk to him.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yeah, that's what I meant really. Radio on in the background is one
thing, headphones is another.

Radio on in the background may not suit others. A personal player is fine
by me, if it doesn't interfere with his work.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liquorice" wrote:

[...]

AFAIK you cannot run them over.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
1) He's on a building site (of some level) so needs to be able to hear
warnings/alarms etc.

So no ear defenders when using power tools?

Ear defenders (External or internal) cut down the volume at the ear,
while earpieces as used by music players and the like mask external
sounds such as a shout for help or of warning. There's no comparison,
and if noise cancelling earpieces are used, that's even worse.

2) He is an apprentice and does what the hell he's told

That's more like it.

Only insofar as it should ensure good working practices later on.

Personally, I'd not object to a workman listening to music etc on
headphones when working - provided he takes them off when it's obvious
someone wants to talk to him.

I would if he needed to be able to hear warnings or come to the aid of
someone who's in need of it when they shout. These are the reasons it's
against the law to wear anything of that sort on or in both ears while
driving or riding a pushbike, but ear defenders are legal. Ear defenders
let you hear the fire engine sirens, but headphones won't.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 17:58, John Williamson wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Decent ear defenders are also designed to cut down on the damaging
noise, but let through the core frequencies for speech, so that users
can hear speech or shouting.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
1) He's on a building site (of some level) so needs to be able to hear
warnings/alarms etc.

So no ear defenders when using power tools?

Ear defenders are OK letting sounds you want to hear through - though point
taken the power tool may drown it out. OTOH the power tool lets the site
supervisor know someone is still there after the plumber's set the building
on fire ;-

2) He is an apprentice and does what the hell he's told

That's more like it.

Personally, I'd not object to a workman listening to music etc on
headphones when working - provided he takes them off when it's obvious
someone wants to talk to him.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:42:58 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied
"what?". When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".
That should be a hanging matter anyway, even if he took it off to
listen to what you were saying. How can he expect to concentrate
properly with headphones on?

I quite like music/radio when doing practical work. I'd say it's a
hanging
matter from the H&S POV, if he can't hear what is going on around him
he
won't hear the warning shout...

Yeah, that's what I meant really. Radio on in the background is one
thing, headphones is another.

Rather like the lemming pedestrians that just walk out into moving
traffic 'cos they're thinking about other things and their headphones
don't let them hear the traffic noise.

That can happen driving too. It's happened to me - nothing dramatic, I
just ended up in a strange city, no idea where I was and no recollection
of the previous 45 minutes driving.

Thats the Alzheimer's, not the headphones.

On the other hand, I can concentrate better and for longer on a single
task when listening to music and as a mainly office based worker, I often
use an MP3 player when carrying out detailed checks of long (and very
boring) specifications or procedures. Most of the offices I've worked in
recently allow music players, but we wouldn't be able to have a
background radio, as it'd interfere with at desk meetings and phonecalls.

Well if it's music I have narrow tastes and would find myself
concentrating on that rather than working, whether on headphones or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
1) He's on a building site (of some level) so needs to be able to hear
warnings/alarms etc.

So no ear defenders when using power tools?

Ear defenders (External or internal) cut down the volume at the ear,
while earpieces as used by music players and the like mask external
sounds such as a shout for help or of warning. There's no comparison,
and if noise cancelling earpieces are used, that's even worse.

It depends on the level of the headphones if external sounds are heard or
not. Exactly the same as with ear defenders. Some will, some won't.

2) He is an apprentice and does what the hell he's told

That's more like it.

Only insofar as it should ensure good working practices later on.

Personally, I'd not object to a workman listening to music etc on
headphones when working - provided he takes them off when it's obvious
someone wants to talk to him.

I would if he needed to be able to hear warnings or come to the aid of
someone who's in need of it when they shout. These are the reasons it's
against the law to wear anything of that sort on or in both ears while
driving or riding a pushbike, but ear defenders are legal. Ear defenders
let you hear the fire engine sirens, but headphones won't.

Far too broad a statement.

BTW, if hearing is so important to a cyclist, are deaf ones banned from
riding by law?

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 00:43:21 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I would if he needed to be able to hear warnings or come to the aid of
someone who's in need of it when they shout. These are the reasons it's
against the law to wear anything of that sort on or in both ears while
driving or riding a pushbike, but ear defenders are legal. Ear defenders
let you hear the fire engine sirens, but headphones won't.

Far too broad a statement.

BTW, if hearing is so important to a cyclist, are deaf ones banned from
riding by law?

That'd be against the law ;-)
If hearing is si important, whay are (some) motorists allowed to have such
loud moosick[1] that it's unpleasant outside the vehicle even when the
windows are closed? No chance of hearing anything.

[1] Approaching a hump-back bridge, I could hear the thumping of moosick
from the other side of the bridge, then there was a feeble hoot that was
hardly audible above the row, then cretin-can came over the bridge at about
twice the speed that was reasonable. No chance of it hearing another hooter,
even a loud one.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:
[snip]

Thats the Alzheimer's, not the headphones.

Any chance that you could learn how to reply to a Usenet post you worthless
lump of smegma?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

if hearing is so important to a cyclist, are deaf ones banned from
riding by law?

In the same way that the blind have an increased awareness of sounds,
then the deaf have an increased awareness of smells, they can detect an
HGV at 100 yards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Tim Watts wrote:

1) He's on a building site (of some level) so
needs to be able to hear warnings/alarms etc.

So no ear defenders when using power tools?

Those do allow you to hear warnings/alarms etc.

2) He is an apprentice and does what the hell he's told

That's more like it.

Personally, I'd not object to a workman listening to music
etc on headphones when working - provided he takes
them off when it's obvious someone wants to talk to him.

He clearly hasn’t been punched in the balls when he didn’t.

Adam must be turning into a wimp or sumfin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied "what?".
When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".

That should be a hanging matter anyway, even if he took it off to listen
to what you were saying. How can he expect to concentrate properly with
headphones on?

Of major concern and one I'd boot his arse for, is safety for himself
and colleagues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:15:23 +0100, SteveW
wrote:

Most of the offices I've
worked in recently allow music players, but we wouldn't be able to have
a background radio, as it'd interfere with at desk meetings and phonecalls.

Also, there's nothing more dreary than listening to the popular choice
of radio station such a workplace radio is inevitably tuned to.
Workers' Playtime, anyone?
Of even more horror, Steve Wright in the Afternoon.
Worse, back then, Radio Two - actually made me feel ill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:58:04 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

These are the reasons it's
against the law to wear anything of that sort on or in both ears while
driving or riding a pushbike,

You just made that up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 08:34:44 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

[1] Approaching a hump-back bridge, I could hear the thumping of moosick
from the other side of the bridge, then there was a feeble hoot that was
hardly audible above the row, then cretin-can came over the bridge at about
twice the speed that was reasonable. No chance of it hearing another hooter,
even a loud one.

Hey, it was nice seeing you, too.

turns choons up

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

These are the reasons it's
against the law to wear anything of that sort on or in both ears while
driving or riding a pushbike,

You just made that up.

Cyclists are exempt all laws even red lights are optional at least thats how
it would appear to me
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 14:46, tony sayer wrote:

Yeah, it seems they have a legal right to do that and you've got to give
way to them regardless;!..

Bring back the man with the red flag.
PATCIUA Communique No 5602

pedestrians against the car in urban areas)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
I've thought of moving sideways just enough to make the pavement cycling
ones ride into a wall. Frequently.

The pedestrianised part of the local high street has signs up saying
"Cyclists must be dismounted". So tempting.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I've thought of moving sideways just enough to make the pavement cycling
ones ride into a wall. Frequently.

Depth perception must be a real bugger for you now ...