Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "I don't know" is not an answer

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
ARW wrote:

The best excuse so far is "I am bidding for a cordless drill on eBay to help
me with work, the auction ends at 11 and I want to make sure I win and I
might have to increase my bid". At 10.45 I gave him his phone

15 minutes before the end of the auction is *far* too early for a snipe
bid ...

1.5 seconds is pushing it as well;!.

Most of the real bidding takes place in the last 5 minutes...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov 2012 10:07:46 GMT, Huge wrote:

40 hrs a week is part time

+1

Yep, far to common in my sector for people to work 12 hr days 5, or
even 6, days/week.

I don't do that **** any more. I'm too old, cynical and bolshie ...

+1 at least the old and cynical bit. Bolshie in that I'm freelance so can
choose wether to work stupid hours or not. The staffers along side me
don't have that choice.

As Mr Plowman has said TV Production. I really don't understand why
regular programmes such as the Street, Emmerdale, East Enders etc have to
be produced based around a 60 hour week (120 hour fortnight). You don't
find widget makers working 60 hour weeks as a matter of course to keep up
with a steady and predictable widget demand. The company expands and
employs more widget makers...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:24:32 -0000, ARW wrote:

Yep, far to common in my sector for people to work 12 hr days 5, or
even 6, days/week.

I probably work 60 hours a week and that does not include the typical
weekly travel time of aound 10 hours.

Only an hours drive to a job? I wish, the closest regular work is an hour
away. More often it's out the door about 0600 back through it around
2100, with only 8 hours on site.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 2, 2012 5:28:03 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:57:55 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave wrote:

Street cleaners don't get free food, lodgings, and transport to and

from their jobs, if they did yeah sure why not pay anyone the same rate

of pay as they do. But I'm still not convinced that the prison work

force is a good idea when there's so many unimployed.

Who mentioned prisoners? We are talking about those on benefits that

would otherwise be sat home in front of the telly doing SFA.

" On Nov 1, 10:10 pm, tony sayer wrote:

Are these proper trainee/appretices or are they those who've been sent

to do "community service" or some other such punishment?..

"

I was refering to those doing 'community service' I don;t thnk they do iot by choice.

--

Cheers

Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov 2012 11:45:20 GMT, Huge wrote:
Only an hours drive to a job? I wish, the closest regular work is an
hour away. More often it's out the door about 0600 back through it
around 2100, with only 8 hours on site.

Serves you right for living in the middle of nowhere. )

Wouldn't make a great deal if difference if I lived in Manchester. I'd
then be going down to Birmingham which I don't do as it's too far and I'd
still be coming up to Newcastle but now taking 2 - 3hrs instead of 1...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2012-11-05, ARW wrote:

It's not all youngsters though. I took my late friends son with me on
Saturday to give me a hand. The owner of the house was so impressed with him
that he invited him back the next day to do some work for him. Every so
often you drop on a youngster that shines and you look after them.

The guy cutting my hedges has a helper with him who must be ~18, and he's
brilliant. Polite, works hard, does as he's told, apparently doesn't
even own a 'phone. So they're not all w*nk*rs.

No, some of them are Polish
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 01:50:12 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Did you watch Harry and Paul tonight ? They've got a new character called
"Work Experience". When I saw him sat there playing games on his phone
whilst the boss was trying to get him to perform simple tasks, I just had to
think of you, and the antics that you report from your apprentices. If you
didn't see it, check it out on iPlayer. It's near the end ...

Arfa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01nw6mh/?t=22m59s

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov 2012 16:25:54 GMT, Huge wrote:

Naah. He isn't Polish. The bloke who put my new windows in was, though.

Gawd I donno, they come over here doing decent work for a good price then
they go around smashing new windows. What is the world coming to?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan wrote:
On 01/11/2012 21:59, tony sayer wrote:

I have sometimes in the past thought it might be an idea to take someone
on, but from the more I hear of it I value my sanity too much;!...

Are these proper trainee/appretices or are they those who've been sent
to do "community service" or some other such punishment?..

In the company I work for trainee/appretices are usually quite good,
however, there is a fairly stringent vetting progress, first by Human
Resources* and then interviews with mid-managers who can still undertake
technical work.

*They changed their name from the Personnel Department some years ago in
the same way the canteen became a restaurant and the cook became a Chef.

they changed their name because the no longer deal with people - just
resources who happen to be human.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
alan wrote:
On 01/11/2012 21:59, tony sayer wrote:

I have sometimes in the past thought it might be an idea to take someone
on, but from the more I hear of it I value my sanity too much;!...

Are these proper trainee/appretices or are they those who've been sent
to do "community service" or some other such punishment?..

In the company I work for trainee/appretices are usually quite good,
however, there is a fairly stringent vetting progress, first by Human
Resources* and then interviews with mid-managers who can still undertake
technical work.

*They changed their name from the Personnel Department some years ago in
the same way the canteen became a restaurant and the cook became a Chef.

they changed their name because the no longer deal with people - just
resources who happen to be human.

And to justify hiking their salaries. I read once they said they
deserved more money because of the stress of making people redundant!!
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 18:11:37 -0000, "ARW" wrote:

And boy have I heard the excuses as to why they need their mobile phone
whilst at work. The most common excuse is "what if there is an emergency and
someone needs to contact me" followed by "it might get stolen from your
van".

And it turns out ALL the apprentices now have a very ill relative and they
have now ALL taken up Catholisim and they would need to be there should the
priest be called to give the last rites - so they need their mobile just in
case.

The best excuse so far is "I am bidding for a cordless drill on eBay to help
me with work, the auction ends at 11 and I want to make sure I win and I
might have to increase my bid". At 10.45 I gave him his phone and said "go
ahead win the drill - BTW I am going to watch the screen whilst you bid".

For some reason he then decided that he no longer wanted the drill and he
did not need his phone.

You could have offered to sell his mobile phone on ebay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2012 22:24, ARW wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:

Or she could be looking for a husband with a UK passport...

Name that country?

The cheap East European fanny ATM is from the Ukraine and Balkans.

Not sure I follow you.

UK ~= United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Does that help?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 18:11:37 -0000, ARW wrote:

The best excuse so far is "I am bidding for a cordless drill on
eBay to help me with work, the auction ends at 11 and I want to
make sure I win and I might have to increase my bid". At 10.45 I
gave him his phone and said "go ahead win the drill - BTW I am
going to watch the screen whilst you bid".

For some reason he then decided that he no longer wanted the drill
and he did not need his phone.

Have these yoofs never had their bluff called before or are they so
dumb that they can't remember?

Dumb IMHO.

They can also blatantly lie.

When some damage occured to the rear of one of the vans an electricican
got the blame. However I knew that it was an apprentice that had caused
the damage. He swore blind that it was not him when the electrician
confronted him - and what a mistake he made when he raised his first to
the electrician. One punch and the apprentice was out cold.

And the one that swore blind he had not been smoking in the van stuck to
his story until we gave him the fixed penalty charge for thowing the tab
end out of the van window.And guess what - if you pay it early it is half
price, if you do not pay it at all you get a summons. He decided to get a
summons and will be up in court soon.

It's still better than the decorators apprentice who went through a 14
year olds knicker drawer and then told her what he had done via facebook.

It's not all youngsters though. I took my late friends son with me on
Saturday to give me a hand. The owner of the house was so impressed with
him that he invited him back the next day to do some work for him. Every
so often you drop on a youngster that shines and you look after them.

--
Adam

The trouble is, it's so rare to find one that both shines, and *continues*
to shine. You try to treat them nice in the hope that they will appreciate
that they *are* being treated nice, but suddenly, they just turn round and
kick you in the teeth. We had a smashing young girl working for us. She was
great with the customers, always had a ready smile for everyone. She was
brilliant at her job, and had the very rare quality that when she needed to
step up the pace, she could. Great at multi-tasking too. A good all round
brilliant employee. We really looked after her. It's a family business, and
she was treated like one of the family. Then she started to take the ****,
texting in 10 minutes before she was supposed to start, claiming that she
had been sick all day, yada yada yada - all the usual crap. Trouble is, all
of them spend half of their day on Faceache or whatever it's called, and you
only had to read her 'status' to find out that she'd been out on the razz
all night and had only got to bed at 7 am. Doesn't take a genius to work out
that she's only just woken up, and now can't be bothered to come in.

We let it ride for a couple of times, but it got to the point where you just
couldn't trust that she was going to turn up, so eventually, she received
the grand order of the boot. My daughter who was about 11 months pregnant at
the time, had to go back to working every day.

The kid was actually sorely missed, and as it happened, a few weeks later,
she came crawling back, begging to have her job again. She was having a bit
of a hard time of it from what we could make out, having lost her digs, and
one or two other problems, so the missus took pity on her, and took her
back. She promised on her life that she would never let us down again, and
so it was for the next couple of months. The missus looked after her, and
found her somewhere else to live, and even got her another part time job
with the people that bought one of our cafes a year or so back, so she would
earn some extra money. They were delighted with her. Thought she was the
best employee that they had had. Then it all started again. She let them
down, she let us down, so she was fired again. You just can't help some
people, and it seems like the kids now are some of the worst for that.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On 5 Nov 2012 16:25:54 GMT, Huge wrote:

Naah. He isn't Polish. The bloke who put my new windows in was, though.

Gawd I donno, they come over here doing decent work for a good price then
they go around smashing new windows. What is the world coming to?

--
Cheers
Dave.

LOL !!!!! Cracker !!!

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 20:52:04 -0000, ARW wrote:

Divide their benefit by the minimum wage to work out how many
hours we're paying them for and then give them that many
hours of work to do.

That would be more than a 40 hour week for some people.

40 hrs a week is part time

+1

Yep, far to common in my sector for people to work 12 hr days 5, or
even 6, days/week.

I probably work 60 hours a week and that does not include the typical
weekly travel time of aound 10 hours.

And today I have taken my first day off due to illness in about 8 years.

--
Adam

8 years ??! Is that all ? Get your arse back in there immediately,
otherwise, it'll be the sack for you ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov 2012 16:43:34 GMT, Huge wrote:

That and keeping away from Usenet.

That'll be me then.

Not that I'm working from home as in getting paid but do have the
business paperwork to do, VAT return, checking that overdue invoices have
been paid, etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 13:54:50 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

As Mr Plowman has said TV Production. I really don't understand why
regular programmes such as the Street, Emmerdale, East Enders etc
have to be produced based around a 60 hour week (120 hour fortnight).

For the same reason dogs lick their ********; because they can.

Quite. Although given how long these progs have been around and the
constant quest to increase profits, it's fair to say it's not a bad
ballpark figure.

As you know it's not just the soaps that use the "10 hours on camera"(*)
day. Virtually all drama and film production does. There might *just* be
some justification for it on a short (4 to 6 weeks) drama for film shoot
but not for the soaps.

(*) That's two 5 hour long sessions of work with an hour between for
lunch. Travel to unit base is not included, neither is getting the kit
ready to "turn over" at the scheduled "on camera" time or putting it away
when the "wrap" is called. So that's normally about 1 + 5 + 1 + 5 + 1 =
13hrs/day before the over runs start and assumes the travel isn't very
far and will fit in the hour each end...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Quite. Although given how long these progs have been around and the
constant quest to increase profits, it's fair to say it's not a bad
ballpark figure.

As you know it's not just the soaps that use the "10 hours on camera"(*)
day. Virtually all drama and film production does. There might *just* be
some justification for it on a short (4 to 6 weeks) drama for film shoot
but not for the soaps.

It's a factory, and like all factories you don't want it standing around
idle as the standing costs then become a larger proportion of the total.

(*) That's two 5 hour long sessions of work with an hour between for
lunch. Travel to unit base is not included, neither is getting the kit
ready to "turn over" at the scheduled "on camera" time or putting it
away when the "wrap" is called. So that's normally about 1 + 5 + 1 + 5
+ 1 = 13hrs/day before the over runs start and assumes the travel isn't
very far and will fit in the hour each end...

I quite liked getting the week's work done in 4 days rather than 5 when I
was staff. The problem now is pay rates per hour haven't kept up meaning
'we' have to work longer hours just to stand still. Basically, your 60
hour week should be paid at +50% (at least) over the old weekly sum. So
you could make up the lost non working time by taking one week in three
off.

Theory is fine...

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That almost seems akin to a drug addiction or mental illness behaviour
pattern .. seen it before a few times..

Bloody shame 'tho.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 11:28*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On 5 Nov 2012 10:07:46 GMT, Huge wrote:

40 hrs a week is part time

+1

Yep, far to common in my sector for people to work 12 hr days 5, or
even 6, days/week.

I don't do that **** any more. I'm too old, cynical and bolshie ...

+1 at least the old and cynical bit. Bolshie in that I'm freelance so can
choose wether to work stupid hours or not. The staffers along side me
don't have that choice.

As Mr Plowman has said TV Production. I really don't understand why
regular programmes such as the Street, Emmerdale, East Enders etc have to
be produced based around a 60 hour week (120 hour fortnight). You don't
find widget makers working 60 hour weeks as a matter of course to keep up
with a steady and predictable widget demand. The company expands and
employs more widget makers...

Judging by all the outtake programs on TV, they need better trained
widget makers, not more.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

facebook. It's not all youngsters though. I took my late friends son
[...]

Wow. And I do tend to agree with Andy. Or maybe boyfriend trouble.

And what is the usual gestation period in your family? 11 months is rather a
long time:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andy Champ wrote:
On 04/11/2012 22:24, ARW wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:

Or she could be looking for a husband with a UK passport...

Name that country?

The cheap East European fanny ATM is from the Ukraine and Balkans.

Not sure I follow you.

UK ~= United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Does
that help?

What I meant was that most Eastern Europeans no longer need a pillock like
me to marry then in order to move here. And the UK does not usually issue
work visas to the non EU countries for them to be bar staff.

Of course she may already have a husband with a UK passport as well as a job
in Weatherspoons. You have to look at their right hand for the wedding ring.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 20:52:04 -0000, ARW wrote:

Divide their benefit by the minimum wage to work out how
many hours we're paying them for and then give them that
many hours of work to do.

That would be more than a 40 hour week for some people.

40 hrs a week is part time

+1

Yep, far to common in my sector for people to work 12 hr days 5,
or even 6, days/week.

I probably work 60 hours a week and that does not include the
typical weekly travel time of aound 10 hours.

And today I have taken my first day off due to illness in about 8
years. --
Adam

8 years ??! Is that all ? Get your arse back in there immediately,
otherwise, it'll be the sack for you ... :-)

I did go back into work when they called. Bloody food poisoning from the
next door neighbours bonfire night food IMHO.

BTW I showed the Harry and Paul sketch to a friend and he said "that's not a
comedy sketch, that is a fly on the wall documentary"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

Funnily enough, we thought that. She has got a pretty rum crowd for
'friends'. The missus even had a go at her about it, but she swore that she
was not into drugs, and never would be. Trouble is, they smoke their
spliffs, but don't consider that to be drugs. At the end of the day, it was
a shame, but what can you do ? Anyone in business will say the same -
there's just so much you can take before you have to just throw in the
towel. Whilst it's sad to have to give up on someone like her, in the
current economic climate, the good of the business has to come first. As a
father myself though, I still worry for her welfare ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nah, Just the usual 9 ! But it seemed a lot longer. It was her first, and
the poor kid had a really rough time of it virtually from day one. She was
sick just about every day of the pregnancy. She's only tiny, and was
frontally massive by the end, so between being that size, and not feeling
too well most of the time, the last thing that she needed was to be stuck
back behind the counter every night, trying to be pleasant to the customers,
some of whom are real arses ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

A very valid comment ... :-)

I guess that's actually what makes it ' Harry Enfield comedy '. All of his
sketch characters tend to be real life observations that we all recognise.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Funnily enough, we thought that. She has got a pretty rum crowd for
'friends'. The missus even had a go at her about it, but she swore that
she was not into drugs, and never would be. Trouble is, they smoke their
spliffs, but don't consider that to be drugs. At the end of the day, it
was a shame, but what can you do ? Anyone in business will say the same -
there's just so much you can take before you have to just throw in the
towel. Whilst it's sad to have to give up on someone like her, in the
current economic climate, the good of the business has to come first. As a
father myself though, I still worry for her welfare ...

Arfa

A lesson in reality will probably do her more good than pandering - I am
surprised she did not "get it" the first time around.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Arfa Daily wrote:

Funnily enough, we thought that. She has got a pretty rum crowd for
'friends'. The missus even had a go at her about it, but she swore that
she was not into drugs, and never would be. Trouble is, they smoke their
spliffs, but don't consider that to be drugs. At the end of the day, it
was a shame, but what can you do ? Anyone in business will say the same -
there's just so much you can take before you have to just throw in the
towel. Whilst it's sad to have to give up on someone like her, in the
current economic climate, the good of the business has to come first. As a
father myself though, I still worry for her welfare ...

Arfa

A lesson in reality will probably do her more good than pandering - I am
surprised she did not "get it" the first time around.

But if you're into drugs (including alcohol) you just don't get it
because you are not rational. It's called "addiction" and it takes
control.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 20:18:46 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:

Why was your drill not charged up?
I used to charge mine up every night.

That isn't adequate when you're using it all day. We have 800W inverters
in the van with aux batteries and charge everything that way.

Bill

I used to charge my drill up in Travelodges etc.
It was one hell of a drill; cost £360 in 1999.
It had all these lights and things.
Then, they took it off me :-(

Ah, Travelodge. Isn't that the hotel where breakfast is a a croissant
in a paper bag dumped outside your door?

only if you pay extra :-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim.....
scribeth thus

.. .

Mr Pounder wrote:

Why was your drill not charged up?
I used to charge mine up every night.

That isn't adequate when you're using it all day. We have 800W inverters
in the van with aux batteries and charge everything that way.

Bill

I used to charge my drill up in Travelodges etc.
It was one hell of a drill; cost £360 in 1999.
It had all these lights and things.
Then, they took it off me :-(

Ah, Travelodge. Isn't that the hotel where breakfast is a a croissant
in a paper bag dumped outside your door?

only if you pay extra :-)

tim

We didn't. An overnight budget stay in Aberdeen. OK not exactly four star but clean
warm and comfortable and quiet .. well apart from the seagulls out on the pull for
discarded grub at night, and brekkie was included and we did have to pay for an
evening meal but it was simple and good value.

We didn't know re our wake-up call 'tho, there was a Kilted bagpipe player outside
the following morn under this imposing statue.

Well it was Scotland)...

http://goo.gl/maps/lVmzE

Nice place, seems it was all hewn out of one Ginourmous block of Granite!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 15:30:54 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

We didn't. An overnight budget stay in Aberdeen. OK not exactly four star but clean
warm and comfortable and quiet .. well apart from the seagulls out on the pull for
discarded grub at night, and brekkie was included and we did have to pay for an
evening meal but it was simple and good value.

We didn't know re our wake-up call 'tho, there was a Kilted bagpipe player outside
the following morn under this imposing statue.

Well it was Scotland)...

http://goo.gl/maps/lVmzE

Nice place, seems it was all hewn out of one Ginourmous block of Granite!...

Surely there is a market in that area for a geiger counter alarm clock ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...
We didn't know re our wake-up call 'tho, there was a Kilted bagpipe player outside
the following morn under this imposing statue.

Well it was Scotland)...

http://goo.gl/maps/lVmzE

That car in the foreground looks like a terrible 'cut & shut' job.

--
Sam