Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default "I don't know" is not an answer

Pulled up at work with one of the Gremlins today and the first job was to
drill a 22mm hole through a brick wall.

He got out the cordless SDS and 1m 22 drill bit. I stopped him and pointed
out that

a) the battery was probably not charged enough to drill the hole and there
was only one battery
b) we would need the cordless SDS to fix the armoured cleats after drilling
the hole

and

c) it was my cordless SDS and it is getting a little old and I do not want
it drilling 22mm holes through brick walls.

I told him to get the Makia and extension lead out of the van and use those
whilst I went up to the house to have a word with the owner.

10 minutes later when I got back there was no sign of the makita or an
extention lead and the pillock was just putting the cordless battery on
charge.

He had indeed tried to drill the hole with the cordless and the battery had
died halfway through doing so.

I then kicked off and asked him why he had used the cordless and his answer
was "I don't know". My reply was "I don't know is not a ****ing answer, you
have until home time to tell me why you used the cordless or you are walking
back"

At hometime I asked again why he had used the cordless and he said "I don't
know".

So I left him to walk back to the unit in the cold rain.

It's 3 miles to the nearest bus stop and 7 miles back to the unit. As he
fell asleep in the van on the way to the job I doubt very much that he knew
where he was (middle of nowhere describes the place well) and he would
probably be unable to call someone for lift.

And if he does not learn the walk then the owner of the firm will ask one
question when he gets back to the unit.

That question is "why did you use the cordless?"
If the answer is still "I don't know" then he will be handed a written
warning (although to be fair he will get one regardless of his answer)

--
Adam