Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson SUCKS!

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'd have an air blade if I could find space to put it on the bathroom wall.

I wonder what it would be like to put your knob in one of those? Anyone
any practical experience of this?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'd have an air blade if I could find space to put it on the bathroom
wall.

I wonder what it would be like to put your knob in one of those? Anyone
any practical experience of this?

One of these? http://www.airblade.ca/
I'm not that religious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson
escribió:

The belts are a
little slack and not very 'grippy' with a shiny surface. Cleaning them
with IPA has made them grippier and got rid of the shine, I'll stick it
back together and see how it goes.

update: cleaning the belts with IPA to restore grippiness has worked,
the thing now picks up well. I'll still replace the belts with new when
I get a round tuit as they felt a little slack.

Thanks all.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-28, Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'd have an air blade if I could find space to put it on the bathroom wall.

You also need space to store the ear defenders, something you can clean
out the evil gunge that grows in the bottom of them and paper towels to
dry your finger tips which they miss.

In short, they're utter ****.

Known as "Die Soon" in the trade. Never found one that picks up properly.

And why do they all look like space stations? It takes 5 mins to find
the bloody on/off switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson SUCKS - the answer

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:06:54 PM UTC+1, Tim Streater wrote:
Well you might be influenced by Which reports. I'm not. Their typical
in-depth analysis of, say, DSLRs, usually says: "Takes great photos" or the
equivalent.

Indeed. Whenever I've read one of their reports about something I feel I know something about I've come away wondering whether they really know their stuff or not. Almost like their reviewers are not experts in any particular field, but merely 'generally pretty knowledgeable' about a variety of subjects.

This has undermined my faith and confidence in them in fields I know nothing/little about, and it's not like I have any reason to be cynical about them - I want a source of recommendations I can trust but I can't help but feel that Which? is not it.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 29, 8:24*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 28/08/2012 22:30, Huge wrote: On 2012-08-28, Gordon Henderson wrote:
I'd have an air blade if I could find space to put it on the bathroom wall.

You also need space to store the ear defenders, something you can clean
out the evil gunge that grows in the bottom of them and paper towels to
dry your finger tips which they miss.

Known as "Die Soon" in the trade. *Never found one that picks up properly.

No wonder some people think Dyson are rubbish if they try to use an
Airblade hand dryer to clean the carpets! You'll find their vacuum
cleaners are considerably more effective at that task.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
I thought the ball idea rubbish. It doesn't work on a wheelbarrow, so
why is it suddenly a good idea on a vacuum cleaner?

OAP's that are ancient but still active enough to vacuum clean their
carpets love 'ball' Dysons like the lightweight DC24, as they are far
easier to push around and easy to carry up and down the stairs.

Lightweight simply means it will break easier.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
I've never understood it, either. I've also had to rewire the mains
plug a few times, too, for the same reason (burned out wires). I
notice that the cable is more plasticky than rubbery, but apart from
that...

Well perhaps some of the Dyson "experts" here who don't like them could
comment. Me, I'm just a user.

Cheap cable.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Dyson do an at-home service and repair. We've had our DC07 done twice
in the past 8 years. I think it's about £60.

So purchase price plus 120 quid in 8 years?

My Panasonic didn't cost 120 quid some 20 years ago and has never needed a
service. Nor have I spent anything like 120 quid on new bags.

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 9:06*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
Well you might be influenced by Which reports. I'm not. Their typical
in-depth analysis of, say, DSLRs, usually says: "Takes great photos" or
the equivalent.

I think you're confusing the summary with the detailed test results.
The most recent Which DSLR review I can find rates each camera on a
scale of 1 to 5 for fourteen characteristics, and then assigns an
overall score out of 100.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 07:54:16 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

update: cleaning the belts with IPA to restore grippiness has worked,
the thing now picks up well. I'll still replace the belts with new
when I get a round tuit as they felt a little slack.

How much is your time? Why not use the in home service?

http://www.dyson.co.uk/Support/Repai...formation.aspx

Flat fee of £73 inc VAT includes labour and all parts.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:53:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dyson do an at-home service and repair. We've had our DC07 done twice
in the past 8 years. I think it's about £60.

So purchase price plus 120 quid in 8 years?

Our DC04 at 10years+ has had one £65 service and no consumables.

My Panasonic didn't cost 120 quid some 20 years ago and has never
needed a service. Nor have I spent anything like 120 quid on new bags.

Other vacuum cleaners (Electrolux and Panasonic) of similar vintage and
use have gone to the dump and none of them ever worked as well as the
DC04 still does. Both bagged things would put a very fine dust into the
air as well, the DC04 doesn't.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Indeed. Whenever I've read one of their reports about something I feel I
know something about I've come away wondering whether they really know
their stuff or not. Almost like their reviewers are not experts in any
particular field, but merely 'generally pretty knowledgeable' about a
variety of subjects.

Sounds like you've not read the full reports - merely a summary.

This has undermined my faith and confidence in them in fields I know
nothing/little about, and it's not like I have any reason to be cynical
about them - I want a source of recommendations I can trust but I can't
help but feel that Which? is not it.

'Experts' on all sorts of hobby things like Hi-Fi or cameras or even cars
are unlikely to agree among themselves. As so much is down to personal
preference. So all Which attempts to do is guide those who simply want a
good value product which does what it says on the tin.

I've bought several of their 'best buys' over the years and never been
disappointed. But these are generally household goods I'm not particularly
interested in - other than them doing what they're meant to reliably. And
vacuum cleaners definitely fit this group. I don't much care what it looks
like, within reason.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Other vacuum cleaners (Electrolux and Panasonic) of similar vintage and
use have gone to the dump and none of them ever worked as well as the
DC04 still does. Both bagged things would put a very fine dust into the
air as well, the DC04 doesn't.

My next door neighbour has had three new Dysons to my one Panasonic. And
she's an elderly widow living on a very modest income.

I don't suffer from dust allergies. Do you have to wear a mask when
outdoors - like you see all those Japanese doing?

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Russell wrote:
On Aug 28, 9:06 pm, Tim Streater wrote:
Well you might be influenced by Which reports. I'm not. Their typical
in-depth analysis of, say, DSLRs, usually says: "Takes great photos" or
the equivalent.

I think you're confusing the summary with the detailed test results.
The most recent Which DSLR review I can find rates each camera on a
scale of 1 to 5 for fourteen characteristics,

Only 7 of which are interesting to you and fails to mention the other 35
that are..

and then assigns an
overall score out of 100.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 07:54:16 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

update: cleaning the belts with IPA to restore grippiness has worked,
the thing now picks up well. I'll still replace the belts with new
when I get a round tuit as they felt a little slack.

How much is your time? Why not use the in home service?

http://www.dyson.co.uk/Support/Repai...formation.aspx

Flat fee of £73 inc VAT includes labour and all parts.

and exceeds the cost of simple reliable cylinder cleaner.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:11:32 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

I spent most of the w/e in the tip (28 bags of garden waste!).
Eyeballing the electrics skip (it's a non-selling tip)

I read here about people who get spare parts from their tips but there
is a sign at our tip saying you cannot take anything. I presume this
is because the council get more money selling it on. Are they paid per
kilo?

Actually, I notice it is no longer operated by the council but
subcontracted out, so perhaps the operator gets more money by selling
it on.

I bought a second hand dc07 so that I could use it for cleaning up
after DIY jobs and not dirty SWMBO's vacuum. One reason I chose the
dc07 was that spares seemed to be readily and cheaply available from
ebay. But it seems to me that the prices have gone up, making this
less appealing now.

Anyway, the dc07 has sat in the garage unused because I can't get the
base to pivot and I've never got round to looking at it properly. Any
ideas what to look for?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Dyson do an at-home service and repair. We've had our DC07 done twice
in the past 8 years. I think it's about £60.

So purchase price plus 120 quid in 8 years?

Well... It was free. However if I had actually bought it, it would
have been treated better than the place I got it from (building site),
so probably unlikely to have needed both services.

But for running costs - £60 every 3-4 years for a service/upgrade is OK
in my books.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
I bought a second hand dc07 so that I could use it for cleaning up
after DIY jobs and not dirty SWMBO's vacuum. One reason I chose the
dc07 was that spares seemed to be readily and cheaply available from
ebay. But it seems to me that the prices have gone up, making this
less appealing now.

I was quite surprised some years ago to see a full 'bay' of Dyson spares
in Comet. With only bags and belts etc on sale for other makes. This
either meant they were providing an excellent service - or were going to
make a good profit on having such spares on display, taking up valuable
space. What do you think?

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gordon Henderson wrote:
But for running costs - £60 every 3-4 years for a service/upgrade is OK
in my books.

I'm much happier with zero. ;-)

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

DC07. Loads of suction at the wand hose and underneath at the flexible
hose that connects to the shoe. Beater bar rotates fine.

Just won't pick anything up. Googled and this seems to be a common
fault.

Why do people buy this rubbish? Just a success of effective marketing- the
product is just crap, all of them, always were, always will be.

Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Aug 28, 1:41 pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

Throw it away, get a Henry, then get the Airobrush head for the
Henry. Nothing to match it on pet hair.

If you do manage to clog it, they've already put Stanley knife grooves
down the roller, through the brushes. Just slide a knife along and the
hair falls loose.

+1.

No bag option for the Henry. They 'just work'.

Ive got 3 or 4 of them in various jobs from in the house to being hurled
around sucking up plaster dust and generally abused in a builders vans. If
you burn out the motor, £35. Hose £8.

Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/28/2012 1:11 PM, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 28, 5:39 pm, Richard Russell wrote:
Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

That's an improvement on what Which? found some years ago:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3688983.stm
"least reliable of all upright and cylinder brands"

But even then "Dyson owners remain the most likely to recommend the
machine to a friend", so they must have been doing something right,
even if only marketing.

I spent most of the w/e in the tip (28 bags of garden waste!).
Eyeballing the electrics skip (it's a non-selling tip) I counted four
Dysons, an ancient orange drum Vax and one dark green upright of
unknown make.

Is Dysons are so damned good, why are there so many already thrown
away?

Fashion? The new ones come in more up-to-date colour combinations. I've
known people to get rid of perfectly good KitchenAid mixers because the
colour doesn't suit the new kitchen.

Also, they're distinctive and colorful so stand out even when there are
other things around, and they are overpriced^W expensive enough to be worth
breaking for parts instead of just throwing the whole thing in a skip,
so show up more at tips where stuff is segregated.

But "Dyson owners are more likely to be fashion victims than users of
other makes" isn't really a good reason to buy them....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:30:57 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But for running costs - £60 every 3-4 years for a service/upgrade is
OK in my books.

I'm much happier with zero. ;-)

So you don't buy bags for your Panny? B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Dyson do an at-home service and repair. We've had our DC07 done twice
in the past 8 years. I think it's about �

So purchase price plus 120 quid in 8 years?

Well... It was free. However if I had actually bought it, it would
have been treated better than the place I got it from (building site),
so probably unlikely to have needed both services.

But for running costs - �every 3-4 years for a service/upgrade is OK
in my books.

Gordon

sheesh. My mums constellation did 20 years with NO service costs at all.

Even used to empty the bags and reuse em

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

How much is your time? Why not use the in home service?

Last time I looked, this group was called uk.d-i-y, not uk.make-james-
dyson-even-richer.

And I like the satisfaction that comes from fixing something myself.

Flat fee of £73 inc VAT includes labour and all parts.

Excluding filters.

The only parts I need are the belts, which cost me 2 quid delivered from
fleabay, and now I've had the thing apart once, fitting them won't take
long.

There are better things I can do with 73 quid.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Braggins wrote:

Also, they're distinctive and colorful so stand out even when there are
other things around, and they are overpriced^W expensive enough to be worth
breaking for parts instead of just throwing the whole thing in a skip,
so show up more at tips where stuff is segregated.

But "Dyson owners are more likely to be fashion victims than users of
other makes" isn't really a good reason to buy them....

They are designed to be attractive to women. Not to work.
Their sole advantage is that even a woman can tell when one needs emptying.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 7:08*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message
, Andy
Dingley writesOn Aug 28, 5:39*pm, Richard Russell wrote:
Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

I spent most of the w/e in the tip *(28 bags of garden waste!).
Eyeballing the electrics skip (it's a non-selling tip) I counted four
Dysons, an ancient orange drum Vax and one dark green upright of
unknown make.

Is Dysons are so damned good, why are there so many already thrown
away?

1. Because they are the most popular brand.
2. A lot of people when faced with a trivial fault simply think it's
knackered and throw it away without realising that Dysons will send an
engineer/technician and fix it including parts for £70.

I can replace a whole Henry for les than £100. Oh, hang on, I don't
need to 'cos it doesn't break like a Dyson.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 06:24:14 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

I can replace a whole Henry for les than £100. Oh, hang on, I don't
need to 'cos it doesn't break like a Dyson.

The Henry we had broke, a brush welded itself to the commutator. Stripped
it down, emeried the commutator, all worked again.

Then sold it for £20 in a garage sale as it was much harder work shoving
the head about to get the (short pile) carpets clean and didn't do
anything like a good a job as the DC04 does with much less effort.

The cheapo Earlex wet'n dry is better than the Henry.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Then sold it for £20 in a garage sale as it was much harder work shoving
the head about to get the (short pile) carpets clean and didn't do
anything like a good a job as the DC04 does with much less effort.

Of course. One is specifically for cleaning carpets, ie an upright, the
other a general purpose machine for anything. Pretty well any upright ever
made would be easier to push than a cylinder for this purpose. That's why
they were invented.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:30:57 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But for running costs - £60 every 3-4 years for a service/upgrade is
OK in my books.

I'm much happier with zero. ;-)

So you don't buy bags for your Panny? B-)

You call that a service? ;-) I also empty them and only change them once
in a while. Say a quid's worth every couple of years.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2012-08-29, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I don't suffer from dust allergies. Do you have to wear a mask when
outdoors - like you see all those Japanese doing?

The Japanese wearing masks have colds - they are trying not to infect
those around them.

Doesn't seem to do much good - otherwise they'd not catch one.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2012 14:20, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

How much is your time? Why not use the in home service?

Last time I looked, this group was called uk.d-i-y, not uk.make-james-
dyson-even-richer.

And I like the satisfaction that comes from fixing something myself.

Flat fee of £73 inc VAT includes labour and all parts.

Excluding filters.

The only parts I need are the belts, which cost me 2 quid delivered from
fleabay, and now I've had the thing apart once, fitting them won't take
long.

There are better things I can do with 73 quid.

Like buy a new Henry?

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The nay-sayers seem to fall into two groups: those who say Dysons are
unreliable and those who say they don't work very well (there's a
third group who can't manage to say anything intelligent at all, but
hey this is Usenet!).

As far as unreliability is concerned I haven't personally found that
to be the case, but I accept that a sample of size of 4 is far too
small to conclude anything meaningful. I am happy to believe the
verdict of Which that they are neither particularly reliable nor
particularly unreliable (with some evidence that things have improved
in the last few years).

However as far as performance is concerned my personal experience (and
that of most other Dyson users I'm sure) *is* relevant, and that is
that they work very well. They also score highly with me for ease of
emptying, weight and manoevrability (at least the models we have). I
am mystified that some people are claiming that they "don't pick up";
that is totally at variance with the Which test reports which
typically describe Dysons as 'excellent', 'superb' or 'outstanding'.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lightweight simply means it will break easier.

Ours is a lightweight one. Most obviously the dirt canister is half
size. /She/ puts up with that for the weight.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2012 19:14, rbel wrote:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:39:48 -0700 (PDT), Richard Russell
wrote:

On Aug 28, 4:23 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
I can never understand this Dyson fetish. They appear to give more
problems than a pre-war Hoover. Advertising obviously works.

I wouldn't say we are influenced by advertising at all. We base our
purchasing decisions on our own experiences of the brand and on Which?
reports. Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

As a matter of interest where do Sebo appear in the ratings?
--
rbel

Sebo uprights are the mutts nuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2012 18:41, Richard Russell wrote:
The nay-sayers seem to fall into two groups: those who say Dysons are
unreliable and those who say they don't work very well (there's a
third group who can't manage to say anything intelligent at all, but
hey this is Usenet!).

The forth group is those who say they are both unreliable and don't pick
up very well either.

As far as unreliability is concerned I haven't personally found that
to be the case, but I accept that a sample of size of 4 is far too
small to conclude anything meaningful. I am happy to believe the
verdict of Which that they are neither particularly reliable nor
particularly unreliable (with some evidence that things have improved
in the last few years).

A guy I know runs a large vacuum cleaner repair centre on the south
coast. At any given time he has a room full of dead Die Soons. He
loves them, the repairs pay for his 3 holidays a year.

However as far as performance is concerned my personal experience (and
that of most other Dyson users I'm sure) *is* relevant, and that is
that they work very well. They also score highly with me for ease of
emptying, weight and manoevrability (at least the models we have). I
am mystified that some people are claiming that they "don't pick up";
that is totally at variance with the Which test reports which
typically describe Dysons as 'excellent', 'superb' or 'outstanding'.

I've spent most of my working life selling cleaning machines & have
experience of every type of vacuum you could imagine - and some you
couldn't. Based on that experience Die Soons don't pick up very well at
all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
The most recent Which DSLR review I can find rates each camera on a
scale of 1 to 5 for fourteen characteristics, and then assigns an
overall score out of 100.

And do they mention stuff like lens aberrations or sensor size? No.

If I want "detailed test results" about DSLRs I'll go to dpreview or
photozone, thanks.

Quite. Which never claimed to do reviews for enthusiasts. Plenty of mags
around for those. But they can be daunting for someone who may just want a
decent camera which works.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
'Experts' on all sorts of hobby things like Hi-Fi or cameras or even cars
are unlikely to agree among themselves. As so much is down to personal
preference. So all Which attempts to do is guide those who simply want a
good value product which does what it says on the tin.

That may be the case for commodity items like toasters, but for anything
that embodies any degree of complexity their reports are laughable. The
only way to deal with such items is to become a bit knowledgeable
yourself, such as listening to the "experts" debating amongst themselves.

But as I keep on saying, 'experts' with these hobby things very rarely
agree about anything - leaving a non expert confused.

I've bought several of their 'best buys' over the years and never been
disappointed. But these are generally household goods I'm not
particularly interested in - other than them doing what they're meant
to reliably. And vacuum cleaners definitely fit this group. I don't
much care what it looks like, within reason.

Neither do I. To me, the Dysons look fugly, unlike the sleek sexy models
you get from most vendors. However I'm uninfluenced by that, just as I'd
never buy B&O hi-fi.

B&O usually performs perfectly adequately, so if someone is willing to pay
extra for its looks, it's their money. But you don't tend to have to look
at a vacuum cleaner other than when it's in use.

I bought my Dyson 18 or whatever years ago on a
recommendation from a relly whose judgement I can trust.

Well, yes. Dyson fetishists always try for recruits to their cult.

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:11:33 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Aug 28, 8:37*pm, The Other Mike
wrote:
one now has a
crack in the nozzle after I drove over it.

See! Rubbish! Our car has a dent in the back bumper where Dad
drove it into Henry.

The Henry has long been relegated to sucking up wood dust but cannot be lifted
as the latch connecting the top and the bottom doesn't work (nor can I see how
to make it work)