Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson SUCKS!

Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

DC07. Loads of suction at the wand hose and underneath at the flexible
hose that connects to the shoe. Beater bar rotates fine.

Just won't pick anything up. Googled and this seems to be a common
fault.

Any ideas please?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

DC07. Loads of suction at the wand hose and underneath at the flexible
hose that connects to the shoe. Beater bar rotates fine.

Just won't pick anything up. Googled and this seems to be a common
fault.

Any ideas please?

they don't cope very well with dust and fluff. Clogs em up. Strip and clean.

I just had an issue with t e wifes VA wert and dry 'its not sucking up
the water' well that too had a pad of fluff keeping the front of the
sucker off te ground, and intakes filled with fluff..but the killer was
that teh dirt water bit - which does the sucking, could be fitted in two
ways, one of which left the intake 3mm above carpet level.

She is now busy emptying the dirty water into the bath, instead of the
bog, where it will doubtless block the entire bath waste system.

If there is one thing more useless than a modern vacuum cleaner, it has
to be the airhead that buys one.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 1:41*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

Throw it away, get a Henry, then get the Airobrush head for the
Henry. Nothing to match it on pet hair.

If you do manage to clog it, they've already put Stanley knife grooves
down the roller, through the brushes. Just slide a knife along and the
hair falls loose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 1:41*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

DC07. *Loads of suction at the wand hose and underneath at the flexible
hose that connects to the shoe. *Beater bar rotates fine.

Just won't pick anything up. *Googled and this seems to be a common
fault.

Any ideas please?

--
*(\_/)
(='.'=)

Does the brush rotate when on the floor? It could be stopping and the
drive belt just slipping.
A new drive belt solves this.
Also check the bearings at the end of the brush, they get full of dust
and stop the brush rotating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:

Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

DC07. Loads of suction at the wand hose and underneath at the flexible
hose that connects to the shoe. Beater bar rotates fine.

Just won't pick anything up. Googled and this seems to be a common
fault.

Any ideas please?

Check the shoe to hose path isn't blocked.
Saw this once on a DC04 - someone had tried sucking up large lumps
of foam rubber.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I was looking to buy my first vacuum cleaner for my own home,
after the previous owner's crappy Hoover had fallen to pieces, I
asked about a Dyson and my local vacuum cleaner shop said: no way,
they're crap, we're forever repairing them. They sold me a Mercedes:
http://www.killiskleaners.co.uk/inde...ypage.tpl.html
It's worked perfectly ever since, 19 years now.

You can clean it by popping the lid off, removing three screws holding
the motor in place, and then dunking the entire lot in the sink.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

DC07. Loads of suction at the wand hose and underneath at the flexible
hose that connects to the shoe. Beater bar rotates fine.

Just won't pick anything up. Googled and this seems to be a common
fault.

Any ideas please?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Had something similar on ours. It helped to wash the circular sponge filter
in the top. Don't know why - I'm still not sure how these things work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson SUCKS - the answer

On 28/08/2012 13:25, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

DC07. Loads of suction at the wand hose and underneath at the flexible
hose that connects to the shoe. Beater bar rotates fine.

Just won't pick anything up. Googled and this seems to be a common
fault.

Any ideas please?

I had the same problem on my DC04 - the suction was good and the bar
spun but it didn't pick-up cottons, etc. The problem was that the bar
was not spinning when in contact with the carpet - the solution was to
change the clutch assembly, which includes the two drive belts. I bought
the clutch on eBay and it took about 30 minutes to fit. It now works
like a new cleaner, despite being about 10 years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 3:08*pm, wrote:
after the previous owner's crappy Hoover had fallen to pieces, I
asked about a Dyson and my local vacuum cleaner shop said: no way,
they're crap, we're forever repairing them.

We've got four Dysons currently: a very old DC02 cylinder (still as
good as new), an old DC03 upright (has needed a replacement wand and
canister), a DC24 'ball' upright and a little DC34 handheld. Apart
from the DIY spare part replacements for the DC03, none has given any
trouble.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo
roups.com, Richard Ford escribió:

Does the brush rotate when on the floor? It could be stopping and the
drive belt just slipping.

Finally got the blasted thing apart after consulting YouTube. It's the
'all floors' model with the clutch and two belts. The belts are a
little slack and not very 'grippy' with a shiny surface. Cleaning them
with IPA has made them grippier and got rid of the shine, I'll stick it
back together and see how it goes.

Searching for the belts online, several spares places supply the clutch
with two belts fitted and suggest the entire clutch assembly has to be
replaced, because changing the belts needs the clutch to be dismantled.
About £18.

Found an eBay supplier which does the belts on their own for a couple of
quid. Have ordered them and will have a go.

These Dysons are clearly not intended to be repairable - they're
throwaway crap.

Also check the bearings at the end of the brush, they get full of dust
and stop the brush rotating.

Brush rotates freely, so I think this is OK. Found the shoe plate would
not swivel freely, this was caused by a wood shaving jamming the hinge.

Thanks for the tips.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 06:18:32 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Aug 28, 1:41Â*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

Throw it away, get a Henry, then get the Airobrush head for the Henry.
Nothing to match it on pet hair.

Hardwood floors and a brush works well for me :-) (I never realised just
how much hair pets lose until I got a place with wood flooring... I don't
think I could go back to carpets again now that I know how much crud must
accumulate in them)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article
,
Richard Russell wrote:

On Aug 28, 3:08 pm, wrote:
after the previous owner's crappy Hoover had fallen to pieces, I
asked about a Dyson and my local vacuum cleaner shop said: no way,
they're crap, we're forever repairing them.

We've got four Dysons currently: a very old DC02 cylinder (still as
good as new), an old DC03 upright (has needed a replacement wand and
canister), a DC24 'ball' upright and a little DC34 handheld. Apart
from the DIY spare part replacements for the DC03, none has given any
trouble.

Similar here. An original DC01. Has had a new flexible tube for the wand,
and I've rewired the mains cable where it enters the machine. Nothing
else.

I've had to do that twice. Wires keep breaking at the point where it goes
inside. Apart from that, it just seems to keep going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nospam wrote:
On 28/08/2012 13:25, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Yes, it sucks but won't pick up.

DC07. Loads of suction at the wand hose and underneath at the flexible
hose that connects to the shoe. Beater bar rotates fine.

Just won't pick anything up. Googled and this seems to be a common
fault.

Any ideas please?

I had the same problem on my DC04 - the suction was good and the bar
spun but it didn't pick-up cottons, etc. The problem was that the bar
was not spinning when in contact with the carpet - the solution was to
change the clutch assembly, which includes the two drive belts. I bought
the clutch on eBay and it took about 30 minutes to fit. It now works
like a new cleaner, despite being about 10 years old.

My Panasonic (Which best buy) is more like 20 years old and still going
strong. With nothing so complicated as a clutch and twin drive belts. Or
rather I dunno if it has a clutch - you can stop the brushes rotating when
using the nozzle. Perhaps I'll find out when it breaks in another 20 years
time.

I can never understand this Dyson fetish. They appear to give more
problems than a pre-war Hoover. Advertising obviously works.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Tim Streater escribió:

Similar here. An original DC01.

Just dumped my DC01 (which is why I got a used DC07). Needed the shoe,
which is no longer available as a spare part, otherwise still working
fine.

Has had a new flexible tube for the
wand, and I've rewired the mains cable where it enters the machine.

Yes, I did the cable too, then later on replaced it with a longer one.

I have a spare belt for the '01, yours if you want it.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:16:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Nospam wrote:
[...]

I'm delighted for those Dysonistas who have only good stories to tell
and I commiserate with those who only have bad. Me? I bought one of
the first Dyson Ballbarrows because it seemed like a good idea. It
rotted itself to death over its first winter. I promised myself then
that I'd never give James any more of my money, under any
circumstances.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gogmagog" wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message

Similar here. An original DC01. Has had a new flexible tube for the
wand, and I've rewired the mains cable where it enters the machine.
Nothing else.

I've had to do that twice. Wires keep breaking at the point where it
goes inside. Apart from that, it just seems to keep going.

Odd, I don't understand it really. Cable was tied off inside - so no
strain issues (at least not obviously to me), and no sharp edges where it
enters the body. It's a sort of exponential horn profile there.

I've never understood it, either. I've also had to rewire the mains plug a
few times, too, for the same reason (burned out wires). I notice that the
cable is more plasticky than rubbery, but apart from that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 4:23*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
I can never understand this Dyson fetish. They appear to give more
problems than a pre-war Hoover. Advertising obviously works.

I wouldn't say we are influenced by advertising at all. We base our
purchasing decisions on our own experiences of the brand and on Which?
reports. Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 3:58*pm, "gogmagog" wrote:

I've had to do that twice. *Wires keep breaking at the point where it goes
inside.

Best thing about Dysons. Grab half a dozen from the tip and you can
fix at least a couple of them with just this fault.

Found myself without a vacuum at the w/e (my fault, left it 200 miles
away) and needed to buy one ASAP. Ormskirk market's range of £40
refurb Dysons (up to £75 for balls) didn't appeal, so we ended up
getting a last minute Henrietta from eBay for £42. I also like the
idea of imposing a _pink_ vacuum cleaner on the new tenant (only ever
wears black, talks incessantly about guns, mostly talks to his guns).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 5:37*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
Well perhaps some of the Dyson "experts" here who don't like them could
comment.

I believe the original fault was a poor grip on Dyson's shiny silver
cable, so the tension wasn't being relieved by the outside clamp and
was still pulling on the conductors. On some of them, the cable
between the strain relief and the terminal block was simply too tight,
owing to a millimetre-shaving exercise in the factory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 5:39*pm, Richard Russell wrote:
Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

I spent most of the w/e in the tip (28 bags of garden waste!).
Eyeballing the electrics skip (it's a non-selling tip) I counted four
Dysons, an ancient orange drum Vax and one dark green upright of
unknown make.

Is Dysons are so damned good, why are there so many already thrown
away?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , gogmagog
writes

Richard Russell wrote:

On Aug 28, 3:08 pm, wrote:
after the previous owner's crappy Hoover had fallen to pieces, I
asked about a Dyson and my local vacuum cleaner shop said: no way,
they're crap, we're forever repairing them.

We've got four Dysons currently: a very old DC02 cylinder (still as
good as new), an old DC03 upright (has needed a replacement wand and
canister), a DC24 'ball' upright and a little DC34 handheld. Apart
from the DIY spare part replacements for the DC03, none has given any
trouble.

Similar here. An original DC01. Has had a new flexible tube for the wand,
and I've rewired the mains cable where it enters the machine. Nothing
else.

I've had to do that twice. Wires keep breaking at the point where it goes
inside. Apart from that, it just seems to keep going.

They've enlarged the entry point to give more support to the cable.
Seems a lot better now. Main thing with servicing Dysons is having the
confidence to lever the plastic bits apart
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Andy
Dingley writes
On Aug 28, 5:39*pm, Richard Russell wrote:
Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

I spent most of the w/e in the tip (28 bags of garden waste!).
Eyeballing the electrics skip (it's a non-selling tip) I counted four
Dysons, an ancient orange drum Vax and one dark green upright of
unknown make.

Is Dysons are so damned good, why are there so many already thrown
away?

1. Because they are the most popular brand.
2. A lot of people when faced with a trivial fault simply think it's
knackered and throw it away without realising that Dysons will send an
engineer/technician and fix it including parts for £70. DIY skills are
declining rapidly and very few people under the age of 30 would attempt
to fix anything.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I can never understand this Dyson fetish. They appear to give more
problems than a pre-war Hoover. Advertising obviously works.

I wouldn't say we are influenced by advertising at all. We base our
purchasing decisions on our own experiences of the brand and on Which?
reports. Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

As a matter of interest where do Sebo appear in the ratings?
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo
roups.com, Richard Ford escribió:

Does the brush rotate when on the floor? It could be stopping and the
drive belt just slipping.

Finally got the blasted thing apart after consulting YouTube. It's the
'all floors' model with the clutch and two belts. The belts are a
little slack and not very 'grippy' with a shiny surface. Cleaning them
with IPA has made them grippier and got rid of the shine, I'll stick it
back together and see how it goes.

Searching for the belts online, several spares places supply the clutch
with two belts fitted and suggest the entire clutch assembly has to be
replaced, because changing the belts needs the clutch to be dismantled.
About £18.

Found an eBay supplier which does the belts on their own for a couple of
quid. Have ordered them and will have a go.

Dyson do an at-home service and repair. We've had our DC07 done twice
in the past 8 years. I think it's about £60. It includes all parts except
the filters. They even give you free upgrades too - we now have the Mk2
cyclone and and upgraded brush, belt and bearings. Last time we got it
serviced was when the motor blew up (I got it 2nd-hand from a building
site where it had been royally abused with plaster dust and all sorts
of rubbish) Always wash the filter out at least every 2-3 months. That's
the biggest issue the service chap told us (same chap both times)

These Dysons are clearly not intended to be repairable - they're
throwaway crap.

They're fully servicable. Very repairable. The service chap stripped ours
down to things I never knew existed in under 5 miuntes, and 5 minutes
after that the new motor was in.

Some spares he doesn't carry - the cyclone arrived a few days later.

My experienced with Dysons is good. We bought their hand-held thing too
and it's also very good.

I'd have an air blade if I could find space to put it on the bathroom wall.

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:06:52 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article
,
Richard Russell wrote:

On Aug 28, 4:23Â*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I can never understand this Dyson fetish. They appear to give more
problems than a pre-war Hoover. Advertising obviously works.

I wouldn't say we are influenced by advertising at all. We base our
purchasing decisions on our own experiences of the brand and on Which?
reports.

Well you might be influenced by Which reports. I'm not. Their typical
in-depth analysis of, say, DSLRs, usually says: "Takes great photos" or
the equivalent.

They used to be better - but not much. Back in the 1960s my father worked
for one of the major white goods manufacturers, and they frequently had
to retract some statement in the next issue.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2012 15:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
These Dysons are clearly not intended to be repairable - they're
throwaway crap.

When I called Dyson they were surprised I'd got the clutch assembly
apart, but happily sold me a belt.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 7:14*pm, rbel wrote:
As a matter of interest where do Sebo appear in the ratings?

At the very top (94%).

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 8:24*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
I thought the ball idea rubbish. It doesn't work on a wheelbarrow, so why
is it suddenly a good idea on a vacuum cleaner?

In my experience it does make steering easy (although it takes a while
to get used to) but the down side is that its diameter means the
cleaner won't go under some items of furniture. For example our DC03,
when the handle is lowered right down, will go under the shelf of a
coffee table, but the DC24 won't.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/28/2012 10:43 AM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Finally got the blasted thing apart after consulting YouTube. It's the
'all floors' model with the clutch and two belts. The belts are a
little slack and not very 'grippy' with a shiny surface. Cleaning them
with IPA has made them grippier and got rid of the shine, I'll stick it
back together and see how it goes.

Searching for the belts online, several spares places supply the clutch
with two belts fitted and suggest the entire clutch assembly has to be
replaced, because changing the belts needs the clutch to be dismantled.
About £18.

Found an eBay supplier which does the belts on their own for a couple of
quid. Have ordered them and will have a go.

These Dysons are clearly not intended to be repairable - they're
throwaway crap.

The old ones were UK-made, the new fancy ones are not, which may or may
not have something to do with their quality. I still have a DC01 (just
under 15 years old) - it's easy to strip down and clean out, and still
does an excellent job. I bought a pair of replacement belts when I
bought the machine, just to have on hand, but haven't needed to use them
yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:31:13 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

Some spares he doesn't carry - the cyclone arrived a few days later.

My experienced with Dysons is good.

Same here. DC04 at least 10 years old, one £65 in home service several
years ago. Very good value, I'm not sure why Dyson don't publicise it
more, I guess because it does actually cost 'em money.

As everyone else in household only ever uses the DC04 and never empties
it, it does get rather full at times. The washable filter gets washed
when I remember that it hasn't been done for "a while".

And it does pickup more muck than any bagged vacuum I've had before and
considerably better than a Henry we had. Even with brand new bags in
either. I only wish the cannsister was bigger vac the whole (large) house
and it needs emptying...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I can never understand this Dyson fetish. They appear to give more
problems than a pre-war Hoover. Advertising obviously works.

I wouldn't say we are influenced by advertising at all. We base our
purchasing decisions on our own experiences of the brand and on Which?
reports. Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

I bought the DC01 on an uncle's recommendation - I hadn't seen any ads
for it. His family have a lot of dust and pollen allergy problems, and
the Dyson worked like magic for that. He used to cart it back and forth
between Edinburgh and Sutherland, but eventually opted to buy a new one
for Edinburgh, and leave the old one up north. My son and
daughter-in-law liked our Dyson and bought one after their first,
non-Dyson, found itself unable to cope with cat and people hair. Most of
my cousins have them, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/28/2012 1:11 PM, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 28, 5:39 pm, Richard Russell wrote:
Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below
Miele, Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

I spent most of the w/e in the tip (28 bags of garden waste!).
Eyeballing the electrics skip (it's a non-selling tip) I counted four
Dysons, an ancient orange drum Vax and one dark green upright of
unknown make.

Is Dysons are so damned good, why are there so many already thrown
away?

Fashion? The new ones come in more up-to-date colour combinations. I've
known people to get rid of perfectly good KitchenAid mixers because the
colour doesn't suit the new kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:20:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Nick Odell wrote:
I'm delighted for those Dysonistas who have only good stories to tell
and I commiserate with those who only have bad. Me? I bought one of
the first Dyson Ballbarrows because it seemed like a good idea. It
rotted itself to death over its first winter. I promised myself then
that I'd never give James any more of my money, under any
circumstances.

I thought the ball idea rubbish. It doesn't work on a wheelbarrow, so why
is it suddenly a good idea on a vacuum cleaner?

OAP's that are ancient but still active enough to vacuum clean their carpets
love 'ball' Dysons like the lightweight DC24, as they are far easier to push
around and easy to carry up and down the stairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 8:37*pm, The Other Mike
wrote:
one now has a
crack in the nozzle after I drove over it.

See! Rubbish! Our car has a dent in the back bumper where Dad
drove it into Henry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 10:16*pm, S Viemeister wrote:
Fashion? The new ones come in more up-to-date colour combinations. I've
known people to get rid of perfectly good KitchenAid mixers because the
colour doesn't suit the new kitchen.

There's another over-rated product that claims "quality", price-tags
accordingly but fails to deliver on it.

My ex-wife has one. For some time she was holding the "head" of the
mixer up in use, otherwise it scraped the bottom of the bowl. The
fault was the lower stop screw working loose, because it had worn the
thread loose in the main casting. As this was the casting worn out,
the service people wrote the whole thing off as scrap!

A few minutes with a tap and new bolt, mind...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:16:20 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

On 8/28/2012 1:11 PM, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 28, 5:39 pm, Richard Russell wrote:
Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below Miele,
Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

I spent most of the w/e in the tip (28 bags of garden waste!).
Eyeballing the electrics skip (it's a non-selling tip) I counted four
Dysons, an ancient orange drum Vax and one dark green upright of
unknown make.

Is Dysons are so damned good, why are there so many already thrown
away?

Fashion? The new ones come in more up-to-date colour combinations. I've
known people to get rid of perfectly good KitchenAid mixers because the
colour doesn't suit the new kitchen.

Has anyone ever done a respray on a KitchenAid to stoop SWMBO buying a
new one?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/28/2012 6:33 PM, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 28, 10:16 pm, S Viemeister wrote:
Fashion? The new ones come in more up-to-date colour combinations. I've
known people to get rid of perfectly good KitchenAid mixers because the
colour doesn't suit the new kitchen.

There's another over-rated product that claims "quality", price-tags
accordingly but fails to deliver on it.

My ex-wife has one. For some time she was holding the "head" of the
mixer up in use, otherwise it scraped the bottom of the bowl. The
fault was the lower stop screw working loose, because it had worn the
thread loose in the main casting. As this was the casting worn out,
the service people wrote the whole thing off as scrap!

A few minutes with a tap and new bolt, mind...

I had an old one, given to me by my mother-in-law over 30 years ago. It
was used several times a week, for bread, mincing, shredding, etc. It's
never needed service, although I have had to replace the dough hook a
couple of times - no matter what anyone says, they should NOT go in the
dishwasher...
My daughter has it now - it's older than she is! I think its
construction quality is considerably better than the much bigger one I
replaced it with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Russell wrote:
Dyson appears mid-table in their reliability ratings: below Miele,
Panasonic and Numatic but above Vax, Hoover and Electrolux.

I spent most of the w/e in the tip (28 bags of garden waste!).
Eyeballing the electrics skip (it's a non-selling tip) I counted four
Dysons, an ancient orange drum Vax and one dark green upright of
unknown make.

Is Dysons are so damned good, why are there so many already thrown
away?

Fashion? The new ones come in more up-to-date colour combinations. I've
known people to get rid of perfectly good KitchenAid mixers because the
colour doesn't suit the new kitchen.

Has anyone ever done a respray on a KitchenAid to stoop SWMBO buying a
new one?

I considered doing that to mine, but the original colour matches my
daughter's kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2012 5:05 a.m., Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 28, 3:58 pm, "gogmagog" wrote:

I've had to do that twice. Wires keep breaking at the point where it goes
inside.

Best thing about Dysons. Grab half a dozen from the tip and you can
fix at least a couple of them with just this fault.

Found myself without a vacuum at the w/e (my fault, left it 200 miles
away) and needed to buy one ASAP. Ormskirk market's range of £40
refurb Dysons (up to £75 for balls) didn't appeal, so we ended up
getting a last minute Henrietta from eBay for £42. I also like the
idea of imposing a _pink_ vacuum cleaner on the new tenant (only ever
wears black, talks incessantly about guns, mostly talks to his guns).

You let one of those "blacks" rent your place?