Old August 26th 12, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any ideas for putting a washing machine motor to good use?

Having recently scrapped my 30-year-old Zanussi washing machine, I
stripped it for potentially re-usable parts.

The part with the greatest potential is the motor, but I've no idea what
to use it for!

It's a hefty beast, with a centrifugal clutch inside its pulley. It had
no fewer than eight wires connected to it - presumably for selecting the
various speeds, and for going into reverse when agitating the washing.

The label on the motor says the following:
ZEM 20571033
CEI107/10-IEC 335
4A 260W 2780 RPM
3A 180W 1380 RPM 8/10uF 400VL [1]
1.1A 95W 900 RPM 8/10uF 450VL

Googling for the model number doesn't produce anything useful.

I'm looking for innovative suggestions of possible uses for this beast.

I'd also be interested to know just what the label is telling me, and
how to work out how to wire it up[2] to get it to work.

[1] The 'u' of 10uF is actually a Greek mu - presumably for micro-Farad

[2] i.e. which wire does what, and where to put the external 8uF
capacitor [3]

[3] I did try to trace the wiring when I dismantled it, but the harness
was such a tangled rat's nest that it proved to be beyond me!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 26th 12, 06:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 26, 4:30*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Looks like a different animal to the usual wm motor. Generally they
run at around 15,000rpm, and have 2 wires for field, 2 for armature
and 2 for tacho. And one chassis connection

DIY uses: cement mixer, one day I'll make a bucket size one, 20w is
probably all that's needed though. Hoist. Plaster paddle mixer.
Monster whole house cooling fan. In fact you've got enough power in
that to add an extra floor in the house, collapsing the unused floors
when you leave them

NT
Old August 26th 12, 06:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2012 16:30, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Don't do what my brother's friends did:
Attach blades from oscillating desk fan, minus any guards.
Gaffer tape the motor to a stool.
Connect mains across 2 of the terminals (they had some success on google)
Stand on the stool's stretchers to prevent the thing taking off.
Carry their new invention around.
Catch the blade on a steel pole.
Narrowly avoid shrapnel to eyes.
Old August 26th 12, 06:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
[...]

Matter/anti matter warp drive for a Starship.

Old August 26th 12, 06:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Having recently scrapped my 30-year-old Zanussi washing machine, I
stripped it for potentially re-usable parts.

The part with the greatest potential is the motor, but I've no idea what
to use it for!

Door Stop..
Plumb line weight..

;(

-

Old August 26th 12, 06:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
Having recently scrapped my 30-year-old Zanussi washing machine, I
stripped it for potentially re-usable parts.

Throw it away

I have three in the shed that I thought exactly the same thing 25 years
ago ...

--
geoff
Old August 26th 12, 06:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:04:44 -0700, NT wrote:
DIY uses: cement mixer, one day I'll make a bucket size one, 20w is
probably all that's needed though. Hoist. Plaster paddle mixer. Monster
whole house cooling fan.

Cooling fan, perhaps... but most applications are low speed/high torque
and so need massive amounts of reduction gearing to be useful.

I've got a freebie tumble dryer which has sat in the workshop for about 8
months waiting for me to think of a use for it :-) At least the drum on
that does turn quite slowly (unlike a WM), but I expect the belt would
just snap if I tried to mix cement with it (assuming the support
structure didn't give out due to weight). I got it was because I was
hoping it had flat sides that I could use as covering for some
workbenches, but it turned out that they were pressed with a pattern for
strength.

cheers

Jules
Old August 26th 12, 07:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 26, 5:04*pm, NT wrote:
[...]

Lathe and pillar drill are other options. Youtube will show you how to
make them out of wood.

NT
Old August 26th 12, 07:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
On Aug 26, 5:04*pm, NT wrote:
[...]

Home-made angle grinder?
--
Ian
Old August 26th 12, 08:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes
In message , Roger Mills
writes
Having recently scrapped my 30-year-old Zanussi washing machine, I
stripped it for potentially re-usable parts.

Throw it away

I have three in the shed that I thought exactly the same thing 25 years
ago ...

My dad was a like minded collector of such things, one generation down
the line and I have half lifed it down from obsession to controllable
habit.

Fortunately at one time we had the same washing machine so when theirs
was scrapped, the (working) motor came to me as a spare and yes, I
successfully used it in mine when it croaked a couple of years back.

I think that was the only thing in the collection that didn't end up
getting tipped later. Don't start me on the tins of rusty fasteners that
would, "come in handy someday" . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .