Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

Default Ariston washing machine very noisy, ideas?

Hello,

We have an Ariston washing machine that makes a lot of noise that 'sounds'
like it could be bearing related.
The amount noise is relative to the drum rotation, so when it's on full spin
it sounds like a very loud constant sandy rumble.
I can't think of another way to describe it. There don't seem to be any
obstructions, but without looking between the drum
and the outer skin I can't tell.

I've taken the back off the machine and removed the belt. The motor turns
smoothly by hand, the bearing on the back
of the drum doesn't seem to have any play in it. By turning the drum by
hand I notice the rumble is more towards the
front of the machine.

Is there a bearing that supports the front of the drum?
Is that the likely cause?

I'm wanting to repair this myself, but I don't know what order I need to do
a strip down and rebuild.
It looks fairly involved, but I'm willing to put the
Anyone know of some good online resources for service manuals, and spares?

Finally I don't have the model number handy (I'll find that tonight), but
it was made in 2002.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Phil" contains these words:

Is there a bearing that supports the front of the drum?

No.

Is that the likely cause?

No! But what can happen is that the bearing can allow the inner drum to
touch the outer drum - but by then it's usually so far gone you can tell
by waggling it.

It does sound a lot like it's the bearing, but don't rule out something
silly like a bra-wire stuck round the heater rubbing on the inner drum.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

Thanks Guy for the quick response.
You're daring using your real email address, as many of the spam robots
collect email addresses from usenet.
See my response inline below...

"Guy King" a écrit dans le message de news:
The message
from "Phil" contains these words:

Is there a bearing that supports the front of the drum?

No.

So the whole rotating part of the drum is supported only by the bearing at
the back of the machine?

But what can happen is that the bearing can allow the inner drum to
touch the outer drum - but by then it's usually so far gone you can tell
by waggling it.

I did manage to stop the noise for a second by moving the drum around a bit
by hand, but I'm not sure how much
movement is normal inside the drum.

It does sound a lot like it's the bearing, but don't rule out something
silly like a bra-wire stuck round the heater rubbing on the inner drum.

It certainly could be something rubbing, but how do you get in there to have
a look?

If it does turn out to be just the bearing then I'm guessing I just need to
:
* undo the bolt that goes in to it. Left or right hand threaded? (it uses a
star shaped head. Luckily I have the right size in my too kit)
* Pop out the old bearing
* Pop in the new one
* Tighten the bolt and apply a bit of liquid thread lock.

If there's a web page or document with step by step points on replacing the
bearing then I'd appreciate that, rather than guessing.

Thanks again,

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello,

SNIP

Its the bearing, my Ariston LB12T did the same, unbelievable rumble noise
during spin. Basically the rear drum sealed leaked water into the bearing
which rusted. It cost £21 a replacement kit two bearings + seal from Ebay.
If you get them out they are "standard" bearing, number on the outer ring,
can be got from http://rswww.com for instance, though you will need a new
seal.

Basically loosen nut on rear of pulley, tap with wooden mallet to push drum
spindle through bearings, remove the "spider", take to garage and bash the
sh*te out of it using shaped bits of wood to remove the bearings (or use a
bearing puller). Push the new bearings back into the "spider" (I used a
workmate and suitable bits of wood to not damage the bearings, change seal
(grease with silicone grease), attach spider, attach pulley, add belt and
listen to the silence of the machine compared to before.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Phil" contains these words:

You're daring using your real email address, as many of the spam robots
collect email addresses from usenet.

Been doing it for ten years. The vast bulk of what falls into my
killfile is from Mike Corley. The rest is banking spam and is easily
stripped out.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Phil" contains these words:

If there's a web page or document with step by step points on replacing the
bearing then I'd appreciate that, rather than guessing.

There's a generic Haynes manual if that'd help.

As for looking for something rubbing, you might manage by pulling the
heater element out, but generally it's a "drum out and split it in half"
job. Not difficult, but tedious and unless you're meaty there's bits
that are easier with two people.

HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 8th 05 12:32 AM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 02:45 PM
Box/Valve to prevent washing machine hose break and flooding? kevins_news2 Home Repair 19 April 27th 04 06:16 PM
Washing machine drain backs up! Horatio Hornblower Home Repair 20 February 24th 04 01:56 AM
short washing machine drain hose Kerry Hoskin UK diy 14 January 26th 04 06:50 PM