Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Women - they are not thinkers are they?

I have a glass fronted shop display fridge that I use for nice cold beers on
days like today.

A couple of years ago the thermostat failed and the fridge ran 24/7
resulting in it icing up at the back. Tim Watts suggested I use a plug in
timer to get the fridge to run 5 minutes every 15 minutes and increase or
decrease the on times according to the outside temperature/seasons.

Well that worked brilliantly until last night. The gf compained the beers
were not cold enough and removed the timer and just plugged the fridge into
the socket as she believed "If it runs all the time they will be really
cold". I now have a fridge that is warm on the inside and ice cold on the
outside.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I have a glass fronted shop display fridge that I use for nice cold beers
on days like today.

A couple of years ago the thermostat failed and the fridge ran 24/7
resulting in it icing up at the back. Tim Watts suggested I use a plug in
timer to get the fridge to run 5 minutes every 15 minutes and increase or
decrease the on times according to the outside temperature/seasons.

Well that worked brilliantly until last night. The gf compained the beers
were not cold enough and removed the timer and just plugged the fridge
into the socket as she believed "If it runs all the time they will be
really cold". I now have a fridge that is warm on the inside and ice cold
on the outside.

--
Adam

http://www.ryanairconspares.com/ranc...at-p-1499.html

How much did the timer cost you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2012 17:38, ARWadsworth wrote:

I agree. To highjack your thread somewhat;

SWMBO has just had a operation which means she can't raise her arms
much, so various domestic tasks have been allotted to me. No problem.

Hanging out the washing is a real PITA. After a few goes, my superior
male brain realised there was no point in carrying the empty washing
basket & the peg bag back from the drier thingy to the house. You have
to go back to get the dry washing, so it makes sense to leave them there.

Apparently that was wrong?

I then realised that the best place to keep the pegs - was on the line.
Why double handle everything?

Apparently that's wrong as well?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/05/2012 17:38, ARWadsworth wrote:

I agree. To highjack your thread somewhat;

SWMBO has just had a operation which means she can't raise her arms
much, so various domestic tasks have been allotted to me. No problem.

That's far too much info:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
Have you asked why? I suppose the pegs could get pooed on by birds and
the basket also. But then so could the washing.

Plastic pegs don't last too long in sunlight - they go all brittle and snap.
Wooden pegs cope OK... I thought they would rot or go rusty eventually, but
they don't seem to be too bad.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 27/05/2012 17:38, ARWadsworth wrote:

I agree. To highjack your thread somewhat;

SWMBO has just had a operation which means she can't raise her arms much,
so various domestic tasks have been allotted to me. No problem.

Hanging out the washing is a real PITA. After a few goes, my superior
male brain realised there was no point in carrying the empty washing
basket & the peg bag back from the drier thingy to the house. You have
to go back to get the dry washing, so it makes sense to leave them there.

Apparently that was wrong?

I then realised that the best place to keep the pegs - was on the line.
Why double handle everything?

Apparently that's wrong as well?

Have you asked why? I suppose the pegs could get pooed on by birds and the
basket also. But then so could the washing.

SWMBO confirms that she takes the line in and the pegs too because if you
leave the line up and the pegs on it, both will get grody.

You mean to say that SWMBO actually does the washing?
She's not in front of the box stuffing her face?
I must've gone wrong somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 27/05/2012 17:38, ARWadsworth wrote:

I agree. To highjack your thread somewhat;

SWMBO has just had a operation which means she can't raise her arms much,
so various domestic tasks have been allotted to me. No problem.

Hanging out the washing is a real PITA. After a few goes, my superior
male brain realised there was no point in carrying the empty washing
basket & the peg bag back from the drier thingy to the house. You have
to go back to get the dry washing, so it makes sense to leave them there.

Apparently that was wrong?

I then realised that the best place to keep the pegs - was on the line.
Why double handle everything?

Apparently that's wrong as well?

Have you asked why?

The usual reason given is that they get sun damaged.

Its basically true, they wont last as long left outside all the time.

That happens with the plastic line too, just too much trouble
to keep taking it inside every time its not being used etc.

I suppose the pegs could get pooed on by birds and the basket also. But
then so could the washing.

SWMBO confirms that she takes the line in and the pegs too because if you
leave the line up and the pegs on it, both will get grody.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2012 00:30, scorched was bm wrote:

The usual reason given is that they get sun damaged.

Weblink?

Its basically true, they wont last as long left outside all the time.

Weblink?

I'll not be providing one, but I've plenty of experience of old brittle
plastic pegs. A lot of plastics and UV don't mix (just had to replace a
section of drainpipe for this, fortunately the replacement is black so
should last a bit better).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 27, 9:04*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 27/05/2012 17:38, ARWadsworth wrote:

I agree. *To highjack your thread somewhat;

SWMBO has just had a operation which means she can't raise her arms
much, so various domestic tasks have been allotted to me. *No problem.

Hanging out the washing is a real PITA. *After a few goes, my superior
male brain realised there was no point in carrying the empty washing
basket & the peg bag back from the drier thingy to the house. *You have
to go back to get the dry washing, so it makes sense to leave them there.

Apparently that was wrong?

I then realised that the best place to keep the pegs - was on the line.
Why double handle everything?

Apparently that's wrong as well?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Stuff left outside gets dirty. Dirty pegs etc. leave marks on the
washing.
Don't ask me how I know this stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George :
On 28/05/2012 00:30, scorched was bm wrote:

The usual reason given is that they get sun damaged.

Weblink?

Its basically true, they wont last as long left outside all the time.

Weblink?

I'll not be providing one, but I've plenty of experience of old brittle
plastic pegs. A lot of plastics and UV don't mix

But the OP mentioned a peg bag. The bag should be UV-opaque for that
reason, and can be left hanging on the line or post.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 May 2012 23:53:59 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
Have you asked why? I suppose the pegs could get pooed on by birds and
the basket also. But then so could the washing.

Plastic pegs don't last too long in sunlight - they go all brittle and snap.
Wooden pegs cope OK... I thought they would rot or go rusty eventually, but
they don't seem to be too bad.

Theo

Plastic pegs go brittle even when they are brought in. I've had to stop
using some because they started to suffer ping****its - at eye level and the
spring escaping...!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:22:59 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Plastic pegs go brittle even when they are brought in.

+1

Pegs kept in cloth bag with coat hanger type hook on the top hang it
on the line when pegging out/bringing in. I prefer wooden pegs they
seem to grip better that plastic the galvanised spring doesn't rust.
Well it didn't on the ones me Mum used to use some probably dating
back to the early 1950's, what modern ones are like I don't know. The
washer woman prefers the weaker springs of plastic.

Basket and pegs are bought in to keep them clean, either from bird
crap or general atmospheric fall out. I bet TMH didn't wipe the line
before hanging out either... That's not so much of a problem up here,
the air is very clean but in St Albans it was filthy and you *had* to
wipe the line before using it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
PeterC wrote

Plastic pegs go brittle even when they are brought in.

They go brittle a lot faster when left in the sun.

Completely useless with the latest cheap **** from china.

The washer woman prefers the weaker springs of plastic.

Basket and pegs are bought in to keep them clean,
either from bird crap or general atmospheric fall out.

Nope, so they last longer.

I bet TMH didn't wipe the line before hanging out either...
That's not so much of a problem up here, the air is very
clean but in St Albans it was filthy and you *had* to
wipe the line before using it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hanging out the washing is a real PITA. After a few goes, my superior
male brain realised there was no point in carrying the empty washing
basket & the peg bag back from the drier thingy to the house. You have
to go back to get the dry washing, so it makes sense to leave them there.

Apparently that was wrong?

I then realised that the best place to keep the pegs - was on the line.
Why double handle everything?

Apparently that's wrong as well?

They're likely to get dirty if left outside.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bird ****.

I then realised that the best place to keep the pegs - was on the line.
Why double handle everything?

Apparently that's wrong as well?

Bird **** and algae.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Clive George :
On 28/05/2012 00:30, scorched was bm wrote:

The usual reason given is that they get sun damaged.

Weblink?

Its basically true, they wont last as long left outside all the time.

Weblink?

I'll not be providing one, but I've plenty of experience of old brittle
plastic pegs. A lot of plastics and UV don't mix

But the OP mentioned a peg bag. The bag should be UV-opaque for that
reason, and can be left hanging on the line or post.

Yeah, but then you have to put them in nd take them out of the bag,
quicker to just leave them on the line.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I then realised that the best place to keep the pegs - was on the line.
Why double handle everything?

If they're plastic pegs then they often end up snapping and exploding
into little bits.
The wooden ones get a bit grotty if you leave them out but I'm sure
something is stealing the pegs off the line.

Apparently that's wrong as well?

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:30:09 +0100, "scorched was bm" wrote:

Its basically true, they wont last as long left outside all the time.

Weblink?

I could post a photo of the last bit of a plastic peg that's still
stuck on the line.
Can't prove they would have lasted longer if I'd bought them in
though.

That happens with the plastic line too, just too much trouble
to keep taking it inside every time its not being used etc.

I suppose the pegs could get pooed on by birds and the basket also. But
then so could the washing.

SWMBO confirms that she takes the line in and the pegs too because if you
leave the line up and the pegs on it, both will get grody.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hanging out the washing is a real PITA. After a few goes, my
superior male brain realised there was no point in carrying the
empty washing basket & the peg bag back from the drier thingy to
the house. You have to go back to get the dry washing, so it makes
sense to leave them there.

Apparently that was wrong?

I then realised that the best place to keep the pegs - was on the
line. Why double handle everything?

Apparently that's wrong as well?

They're likely to get dirty if left outside.

I once had a lodger that lifted the tumble drier outside onto the patio and
plugged it into the outside socket to dry some clothes when it was 30 deg C
and sunny outside.

She was the same lodger that applied to be a dental nurse the same day as
asking me if my 12 year old cats teeth would grow back after the vet had
removed seven of them.

In fact she was the same lodger that read the horoscopes and did not
understand them when they said "You will have highlights this week" and she
said "But I am not booked into the hairdressers until next week".

I quite liked her.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2012 14:49, chris French wrote:
Yeah, but then you have to put them in nd take them out of the bag,
quicker to just leave them on the line.

Hook the bag on a belt loop.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
No they are in general not thinkers.

There would be a lot of sexually frustrated men if they were.

Or a lot more rapists.............

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
Owain wrote:

On May 28, 6:55 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
She was the same lodger that applied to be a dental nurse the same

day as
asking me if my 12 year old cats teeth would grow back after the vet

had
removed seven of them.

Which is only slightly stupid as cats are mammals and have a fixed
number of teeth, but crocodiles replace teeth throughout their life -
a single crocodile can go through at least 3,000 teeth.

I've often thought lack of relaceable teeth is a shortcoming of human
evolution.

Don't horses' teeth grow continuously. And I'd have though that applied
to any ruminant as the grass wears them down.

Horse's teeth grow continuously, as do rodents' teeth, but as far as I
know, very few mammals can replace lost teeth once the milk teeth have
been replaced by the adult ones. Sheep, for instance, whose teeth do not
grow once they have finished erupting, can have problems feeding once
their adult incisor teeth have worn out, (which starts to happen at
about four ears of age) and it has been known in the past for farmers to
bond a metal arrangement similar to a brace to sheeps' incisor teeth to
keep them healthy for a longer period.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I once had a lodger that lifted the tumble drier outside onto the patio and
plugged it into the outside socket to dry some clothes when it was 30 deg C
and sunny outside.

She was the same lodger that applied to be a dental nurse the same day as
asking me if my 12 year old cats teeth would grow back after the vet had
removed seven of them.

In fact she was the same lodger that read the horoscopes and did not
understand them when they said "You will have highlights this week" and she
said "But I am not booked into the hairdressers until next week".

I quite liked her.

Blonde by any chance?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2012 22:05, John Williamson wrote:

Horse's teeth grow continuously, as do rodents' teeth, but as far as I
know, very few mammals can replace lost teeth once the milk teeth have
been replaced by the adult ones.

One of those mammals that do replace teeth are Elephants. They are
unique among mammals in that the teeth aren't replaced by other teeth
that have grown below them, rather the teeth are replaced by teeth
growing behind them. As each set is lost another set takes their place
.. This happens five times, after the sixth set the teeth are not
replaced and as they lose this sixth set they can no longer eat properly
and die of malnutrition/starvation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Clive George :
On 28/05/2012 00:30, scorched was bm wrote:

The usual reason given is that they get sun damaged.

Weblink?

Its basically true, they wont last as long left outside all the time.

Weblink?

I'll not be providing one, but I've plenty of experience of old brittle
plastic pegs. A lot of plastics and UV don't mix

But the OP mentioned a peg bag. The bag should be UV-opaque for that
reason, and can be left hanging on the line or post.

Yeah, but then you have to put them in nd take them out of the bag,
quicker to just leave them on the line.

Slower.. you have to wipe the line to remove the dirt before you put the
clean washing on.
If you don't the wife will notice when she irons and finds dirty marks where
the pegs were.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"chris French" wrote in message
k...
In message , Mike
Barnes writes
Clive George :
On 28/05/2012 00:30, scorched was bm wrote:

The usual reason given is that they get sun damaged.

Weblink?

Its basically true, they wont last as long left outside all the time.

Weblink?

I'll not be providing one, but I've plenty of experience of old brittle
plastic pegs. A lot of plastics and UV don't mix

But the OP mentioned a peg bag. The bag should be UV-opaque for that
reason, and can be left hanging on the line or post.

Yeah, but then you have to put them in nd take them out of the bag,
quicker to just leave them on the line.

Slower.. you have to wipe the line to remove the dirt before you put
the clean washing on.

Why would leaving the pegs on the line have anything to do with wiping
the line? Can't say I notice any great problem with the line being dirty
though. Occasionally I give it a quick wipe if it's not been used for
sometime (at least weeks, which doesn't often happen with 2 adults and 2
children)

If you don't the wife will notice when she irons and finds dirty marks
where the pegs were.

1. I deal with all the laundry

2. We have better things to do than bother with ironing (or be bothered
about the odd dirty peg mark on the odd item of washing)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote
dennis@home wrote
chris French wrote
Mike Barnes wrote
Clive George wrote

Rod Speed wrote

The usual reason given is that they get sun damaged.

Its basically true, they wont last as long left outside all the time.

I've plenty of experience of old brittle plastic pegs. A lot of
plastics and UV don't mix

But the OP mentioned a peg bag. The bag should be UV-opaque for that
reason, and can be left hanging on the line or post.

Yeah, but then you have to put them in nd take them out of the bag,
quicker to just leave them on the line.

Slower.. you have to wipe the line to remove the dirt before you put the
clean washing on.

Why would leaving the pegs on the line have anything to do with wiping the
line?

Because you have to take them off the line to wipe it.

Can't say I notice any great problem with the line being dirty though.

Obviously depends on how grimy the area its used in is.

And how well it weathers too.

Occasionally I give it a quick wipe if it's not been used for sometime (at
least weeks, which doesn't often happen with 2 adults and 2 children)

If you don't the wife will notice when she irons and finds dirty marks
where the pegs were.

1. I deal with all the laundry

2. We have better things to do than bother with ironing

Yeah, me too. Havent ironed in something like 55 years or more.

(or be bothered about the odd dirty peg mark on the odd item of washing)

Its not so much the peg mark as the full line you can get
with stuff that's hung over the line before pegging it with
stuff like T shirts with a line that's got a deteriorating surface.

Corse the line is so cheap it makes sense to just replace it
when that starts to happen, particularly when in my case the
line is between ring rawlbolts in the block wall of the house
and ring bolts in the metal fence on the other side of the yard.

OT(?): Detecting nuts from a nut dispenser... Lateral thinkers apply within Mathew Newton UK diy 19 April 28th 11 09:52 PM
Women..... Steve B[_7_] Metalworking 2 March 25th 10 07:04 PM
03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 08:14 PM
Women. Matt Home Repair 24 February 4th 05 09:01 PM