Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grammer and spieling

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:14:53 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,

On 2012-04-18, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:

Sometimes you have to be careful. I insure my car to ensure I can
afford a replacement; an American would use the same spelling for
both.

(Possibly, but not always.)

yeah but they took burglar - derived from the verb to burgle, and
recreated a new verb called 'burglarize'.

In short if they can add syllables they will and anything goes..

Actually "burglar" & "burglarize" are *both* contemporaneous
back-formations (1871 & 1872, respectively, according to the OED) from
"burglar" (1268), rather like "peddle" (1650) from "pedlar/peddler"
(1307).

Of course, I agree that "burgle" is aesthetically better than
"burglarize" (just as I think "legitimate" & "administer" are better
than "legitimize" or "legitimatize" & "administrate").

For openers all these "words" should be spelt -ise anyway.

In most cases, the OED allows either form. I must say I prefer '-ise' but
it is not mandatory.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2012-04-18, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:

Sometimes you have to be careful. I insure my car to ensure I can
afford a replacement; an American would use the same spelling for
both.

(Possibly, but not always.)

yeah but they took burglar - derived from the verb to burgle, and
recreated a new verb called 'burglarize'.

In short if they can add syllables they will and anything goes..

Actually "burglar" & "burglarize" are *both* contemporaneous
back-formations (1871 & 1872, respectively, according to the OED) from
"burglar" (1268), rather like "peddle" (1650) from "pedlar/peddler"
(1307).

Of course, I agree that "burgle" is aesthetically better than
"burglarize" (just as I think "legitimate" & "administer" are better
than "legitimize" or "legitimatize" & "administrate").

For openers all these "words" should be spelt -ise anyway. And if you
accept them, next thing we know there'll be a new word - burglariser -
which will in turn spawn a new verb ad nauseam.

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/19/2012 4:35 AM, charles wrote:

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fracking in UK given green light

Mike Tomlinson wrote on Apr 18, 2012:

My bete noire of the moment is "would of" instead of "would have". Grr.

Also "fed up of..." in place of "fed up with..."

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 07:02:38 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 4/19/2012 4:35 AM, charles wrote:

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

The local BBC radio station regularly mentions "your commute", and
occasionally "an invite".

Yuk.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 4/19/2012 4:35 AM, charles wrote:

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

The local BBC radio station regularly mentions "your commute", and
occasionally "an invite".

Yuk.

Yuk, indeed. But it's interesting that "INvite" and "inVITE" follows the
noun/verb pattern of PERfume/perFUME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Yuk, indeed. But it's interesting that "INvite" and "inVITE" follows the
noun/verb pattern of PERfume/perFUME.

Something that gets me muttering at the TV is people
mixing up the verb/noun: PROject/proJECT.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 07:11:38 -0700 (PDT), jgharston
wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:
Yuk, indeed. But it's interesting that "INvite" and "inVITE" follows the
noun/verb pattern of PERfume/perFUME.

Something that gets me muttering at the TV is people
mixing up the verb/noun: PROject/proJECT.

Not to mention "kilOMeter".

(That's why I mentioned it)!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 4/19/2012 4:35 AM, charles wrote:

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

The local BBC radio station regularly mentions "your commute", and
occasionally "an invite".

Yuk.

I'm with you on "invite" as a noun, but what are you going to call the
trip to work? Your "commutation"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 4/19/2012 4:35 AM, charles wrote:

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

The local BBC radio station regularly mentions "your commute", and
occasionally "an invite".

Yuk.

I'm with you on "invite" as a noun, but what are you going to call the
trip to work? Your "commutation"?

Your trip to work, of course!

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2012 09:35, charles wrote:
the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

It really bugs me when they say "meddled" for winning a race.

And it also bothers me when the guy with his finger on The Button can't
even _pronounce_ nucula.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , charles
escribió:

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

"acclimate" instead of "acclimatise". *vomits*

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , S Viemeister
escribió:

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

That might come from Latin or Spanish. 'corona' is Spanish for crown.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote
charles wrote

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

Fark, time we got death squads back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Tim Streater escribió:

Not to mention Rodders' witty spelling

Never expected to see 'Woddles' and 'witty' in the same sentence.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote
S Viemeister wrote
charles wrote

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

The local BBC radio station regularly mentions "your commute",

That one does have a more specific meaning than the one you prefer.

and occasionally "an invite".

That's pretty common now.

Yuk.

Plenty frothed at the mouth when airport replaced airfield etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 4/19/2012 4:35 AM, charles wrote:

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

The local BBC radio station regularly mentions "your commute", and
occasionally "an invite".

Yuk.

I'm with you on "invite" as a noun, but what are you going to call the
trip to work? Your "commutation"?

That makes you a commutator.

Fowler must be spinning in his grave.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:17:04 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , charles
escribió:

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

"acclimate" instead of "acclimatise". *vomits*

....and "orient" rather than "orientate".

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote
Adam Funk wrote
Frank Erskine wrote
S wrote
charles wrote

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

I've seen "coronated" for "crowned".

The local BBC radio station regularly mentions
"your commute", and occasionally "an invite".

Yuk.

I'm with you on "invite" as a noun, but what are you
going to call the trip to work? Your "commutation"?

Your trip to work, of course!

I prefer your commute myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

8

The first sounds better to me.

better than "it took him a moment to become oriental"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:59:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

"Train station" is even worse.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1125474 20120419 210556 Andy Champ wrote:
On 19/04/2012 09:35, charles wrote:
the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

It really bugs me when they say "meddled" for winning a race.

It's "medalled" ie to win a medal ;-)

And it also bothers me when the guy with his finger on The Button can't
even _pronounce_ nucula.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:59:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

"Train station" is even worse.

I find that more pleasing. After all, you do not refer to a Bus Station/Stop
as a "Road Station".
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:59:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

"Train station" is even worse.

I was interested in the announcment at Waterloo "this train terminates
here". It would have been interesting if it hadn't.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

"Train station" is even worse.

I suppose you'd prefer 'railway station'. Buses use the bus station, so
what's wrong with trains using a train station?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-19, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 20/04/12 03:59, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

Yes, orient is correct though now rare.

On the other hand neither sentence sounds right to me: it's a RAILWAY
STATION

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote
Frank Erskine wrote

"Train station" is even worse.

I suppose you'd prefer 'railway station'. Buses use the bus
station, so what's wrong with trains using a train station?

Because not being Merkins, it's not what we say.

And buses use bus stops anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Frank Erskine wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:59:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

"Train station" is even worse.

I find that more pleasing. After all, you do not refer to a Bus
Station/Stop
as a "Road Station".

English aint meant to be logical.

I've always maintained that its always been deliberately
illogical to make it very easy to work out who the wogs are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:28:37 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:59:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

"Train station" is even worse.

I find that more pleasing. After all, you do not refer to a Bus Station/Stop
as a "Road Station".

But "train" is ambiguous - it can mean a train of camels, or a long
bit hanging behind a dress or robe, for example.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

Yes, orient is correct though now rare.

"Orient" refers to the East.

On the other hand neither sentence sounds right to me: it's a RAILWAY
STATION

Hear hear.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:59:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

"Train station" is even worse.

I find that more pleasing. After all, you do not refer to a Bus
Station/Stop
as a "Road Station".

But "train" is ambiguous - it can mean a train of camels, or a long
bit hanging behind a dress or robe, for example.

So is bus and car.

You seriously claiming that we should return to the use of the words omnibus
and automobile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

Yes, orient is correct though now rare.

"Orient" refers to the East.

Like hordes of other words, it has more than one meaning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

8

The first sounds better to me.

better than "it took him a moment to become oriental"?

Er

better than "it took him a moment to become Oriental"?

The capital is important as in "to orient oneself towards the Orient, is
to become an Oriental' blah blah.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:59:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".
Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

"Train station" is even worse.

I was interested in the announcment at Waterloo "this train terminates
here". It would have been interesting if it hadn't.

It would be interesting if it did.... BANG no more train.

In fact the train LINE and the train SERVICE terminates at Waterloo. The
train does not.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:59:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".
Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.
"Train station" is even worse.

I find that more pleasing. After all, you do not refer to a Bus Station/Stop
as a "Road Station".

But "train" is ambiguous - it can mean a train of camels, or a long
bit hanging behind a dress or robe, for example.

Or a long forgotten word meaning to teach someone a skill or technique -
a strange thing people used to do (how old fashioned!) in the last
thousand years. Its great to be in a whole new millennium where all this
old toss can be thrown out isn't it.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1125474 20120419 210556 Andy Champ wrote:
On 19/04/2012 09:35, charles wrote:
the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

It really bugs me when they say "meddled" for winning a race.

It's "medalled" ie to win a medal ;-)

Who knows what it is.

It use to be 'be-medalled' as 'adorned with medals' and that already
was known to be a made up word..

And it also bothers me when the guy with his finger on The Button can't
even _pronounce_ nucula.

Its a jolly hard word to pronounce for any chimpanzee.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/19/2012 10:59 PM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el m, Frank
escribió:

...and "orient" rather than "orientate".

Not so sure about that one.

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to orient
himself."

"When he emerged from the train station, it took him a moment to
orientate himself."

The first sounds better to me.

When I was in school, I was taught that "orient" was correct, and that
"orientate" was a back-formation from "orientation". Rather like a
comment I saw recently on a food-related group, talking about
"fermentating" something - a back-formation from "fermentation".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Tim Streater escribió:

Yes Mike, go straight to your room and no supper for you tonight!

Aww. *sulks*

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Green light? Banty Home Repair 9 March 30th 08 02:08 AM
Give your FOREX the green light. EZ2FX Home Repair 0 March 19th 08 10:43 AM
Generating green light using a 510 nm AC current Radium Electronics 65 July 17th 06 10:54 PM
OT - Green Light Cliff Metalworking 0 March 9th 06 02:42 PM
Weird green light on my LCD VHSC? david Electronics Repair 1 October 21st 03 12:45 PM