Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Grammer and spieling

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:

On 2012-04-18, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:

Sometimes you have to be careful. I insure my car to ensure I can
afford a replacement; an American would use the same spelling for
both.

(Possibly, but not always.)

yeah but they took burglar - derived from the verb to burgle, and
recreated a new verb called 'burglarize'.

In short if they can add syllables they will and anything goes..

Actually "burglar" & "burglarize" are *both* contemporaneous
back-formations (1871 & 1872, respectively, according to the OED) from
"burglar" (1268), rather like "peddle" (1650) from "pedlar/peddler"
(1307).

Of course, I agree that "burgle" is aesthetically better than
"burglarize" (just as I think "legitimate" & "administer" are better
than "legitimize" or "legitimatize" & "administrate").

For openers all these "words" should be spelt -ise anyway. And if you
accept them, next thing we know there'll be a new word - burglariser -
which will in turn spawn a new verb ad nauseam.

the worst I came across was "compostionize" for "compose"

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18